Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poll: Do you cast your own bullets?

+10
Rob9mmshooter
Rob Kovach
sixftunda
Bruce M
ChuckS1
WVBE Shooter
farmboy
SMBeyer
Snobal
Dave C.
14 posters

Go down

Do you cast your own bullets?

Poll: Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_lcap5%Poll: Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 6 ]
Poll: Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_lcap41%Poll: Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_rcap 41% 
[ 50 ]
Poll: Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_lcap2%Poll: Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 3 ]
Poll: Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_lcap49%Poll: Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_rcap 49% 
[ 60 ]
Poll: Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_lcap3%Poll: Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 123

Poll: Do you cast your own bullets? Empty Poll: Do you cast your own bullets?

Post by Dave C. Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:28 pm

First time poll so if I mess it up you'll know why.

Dave C.
Dave C.
Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Poll: Do you cast your own bullets? Empty Re: Poll: Do you cast your own bullets?

Post by Snobal Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Dave,

Thanks! This should be interesting!

If I didn't cast my own bullets for competition, I could not afford to shoot. Also, it has been only recently that I found a "store-bought" cast bullet that shoots as well as mine do. But then again, I just started casting in the 1970's, and am constantly learning more about that art/science.

JMHO

Snobal

Back to top Go down

Poll: Do you cast your own bullets? Empty Re: Poll: Do you cast your own bullets?

Post by SMBeyer Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:12 pm

For me it is just better to buy them. I have been shooting 185 LSWCHP from Zero. You can get them for under $100/1000 delivered. I have a friend who casts his own and he tells me that it takes him all day to cast 1000 bullets and another day to lube/size them. Now I don't know if these are solid 8hr days but this is what he tells me. So we are looking at 2 days of work in 1000 bullets. I would have to get lead, store it, buy the equipment, learn how to do it correctly, and then spend the time doing it. I am a carpenter by trade and have a well equiped wood shop. I build cabinets for a guy that does cabinet refacing and he comes to me when he needs cabinets for whatever kitchen or bath he is working on that needs cabinets. I can make the money to buy 1000 bullets in about 2hrs doing something that I know and like how to do and it wont elivate my already high lead levels. So for me it works out better to buy them.

Scott
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by farmboy Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:04 pm

Great Poll - very interested to see the final out come.
farmboy
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Post by WVBE Shooter Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:04 pm

I agree very interesting poll.

WVBE Shooter

Back to top Go down

Post by ChuckS1 Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:25 am

I cast my own for both short and long line. It does take some time to cast and size the bullets, but I do it because I enjoy doing it and it lets me shoot a whole lot more than if I were to buy bullets. Besides, I'm not a good enough shooter to see the difference in group size between my own cast H&G 68 and a Zero/Nosler 185 gr JHP at 50 yards. Guess it's the difference between throwing quarters or nickels downrange, for all the good it does me. Smile
ChuckS1
ChuckS1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C. Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks to all that participated in the poll. I am surprised at the number of casters.

At least I'm not the last one casting!

Dave C.

Last edited by Dave C. on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave C.
Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce M Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:20 pm

I buy mine but am very interested in learning how to cast some day.

Bruce M

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:22 pm

I was very close to buying the equipment and had a line on a hundred pounds of lead. Then I found out my levels were high and tabled the project.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:46 pm

I'm thinking about taking it up. I just got a 5 gallon pail full of lead bits.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob9mmshooter Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Yes in a flat base 173 gr swc shoots great at 50 and 25 with several different loads Bullseye from 4.0 to 4.3 works well and Clays 3.8 probable the best at 50. It is from what I think was the H&G 220 mold. I use a steel catch box and recycle the lead reloading costs about the cost of powder and primers after a inventory of lead is in place. Minus of coarse what is lost at matches.

Rob9mmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Flyfisherman Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:30 pm

I used to cast all my own lead bullets, but quit years ago when, between work and other activities I just did not have the time. I enjoyed casting and thought I got very good results. I have more time now and gave thought to starting again but I sold all my equipment and lead is becoming difficult to get at a decent price. /MK

Flyfisherman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingshot Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:35 pm

I used to cast (1970's) lead bullets for black powder cartridge rifles, muzzleloaders and my Dads .38/.357 WC/SWC. It's a chore and its also a science. With the availability and cost of commercially cast slugs, I'm going with them. Time spent casting, lubeing and sizing is better spent at the press.
Wingshot
Wingshot

Back to top Go down

Post by expendable Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:43 am

Snobal wrote:Dave,

If I didn't cast my own bullets for competition, I could not afford to shoot. Also, it has been only recently that I found a "store-bought" cast bullet that shoots as well as mine do. But then again, I just started casting in the 1970's, and am constantly learning more about that art/science.

JMHO

May I ask which ones these are?

Kurt

expendable

Back to top Go down

Post by Snobal Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:20 pm

expendable wrote:

JMHO

Kurt
I use wheel-weight lead (carefully sorted) with 2% added tin, air-cooled, from a RCBS 45-201-SWC mold, sized to .452, BAC lube, with enough Bullseye powder to get around 720 fps. Works great for the short line. We don't shoot the long line at our gun club.

Snobal

Back to top Go down

Post by expendable Thu May 02, 2013 9:19 am

Snobal wrote:
expendable wrote:

JMHO

Kurt
I use wheel-weight lead (carefully sorted) with 2% added tin, air-cooled, from a RCBS 45-201-SWC mold, sized to .452, BAC lube, with enough Bullseye powder to get around 720 fps. Works great for the short line. We don't shoot the long line at our gun club.

I was asking what brand of store bought bullet you found that shot as well as your cast ones.

Kurt

expendable

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Thu May 02, 2013 9:41 am

Quality cast, 160s and 200 are very accurate and priced right.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Snobal Sat May 04, 2013 1:55 pm

expendable wrote:
Snobal wrote:
expendable wrote:

JMHO

Kurt

I was asking what brand of store bought bullet you found that shot as well as your cast ones.

Kurt
Laser-Cast, 200 gr. SWC

Snobal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down