Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Resources for becoming a better coach and instructor

3 posters

Go down

Resources for becoming a better coach and instructor Empty Resources for becoming a better coach and instructor

Post by Sa-tevp 1/4/2020, 12:06 pm

I have been approached by a coworker who is looking to learn to shoot better and was wondering if there are resources or suggestions for best methods of coaching and instructing. Obviously I am a fan of Learn To Shoot Bullseye Then Try Other Shooting Sports and have had good results with the USMC Pistol Team Workbook.

I have experience teaching policy, practices and procedures in a transportation control center where the goal was to get new people to have the tools to make best decisions. During this time I found students learned best by letting them make mistakes and then teaching how to fix the mistakes. I never tried to teach only the perfect. It was more to show were tools were to get good results and how to recognize when things were starting to go sideways. Instead of DO THIS I like to teach the WHY do you want to do this.

Any suggestions or links to resources?

Thanks,
Stephen
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Resources for becoming a better coach and instructor Empty Re: Resources for becoming a better coach and instructor

Post by CR10X 1/4/2020, 12:23 pm

https://sssfonline.org/interested-coach-training/

https://nfhslearn.com/courses/61113/fundamentals-of-coaching

It's really more about learning how to coach, how to get the shooter to think rather than just showing how to shoot and then helping them understand how to get out of their own way.  Progress comes from learning after failure, coaching keeps failure from impeding progress.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Resources for becoming a better coach and instructor Empty Re: Resources for becoming a better coach and instructor

Post by Sa-tevp 1/4/2020, 1:34 pm

CR10X wrote:... coaching keeps failure from impeding progress.

Being lazy I've sought out coaching rather than learning the harder way, so that definitely rings true. As a student a coach can spot and work out a problem faster than I could.

Thanks for the links.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 1/4/2020, 3:15 pm

Sa-tevp wrote:Being lazy I've sought out coaching...

Let me fix that for you.

Sa-tevp wrote:Being unstoppable I've sought out coaching...
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 1/4/2020, 8:27 pm

Nope, lazy. I've noticed when scoring High Masters the math is a lot easier. Seems like a good reason to shoot better.  Wink
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down