Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new to dot (astigmatism, yay!)

+2
SingleActionAndrew
teason
6 posters

Go down

new to dot (astigmatism, yay!) Empty new to dot (astigmatism, yay!)

Post by teason 1/16/2020, 3:44 pm

New to red dot. And by dot I mean a christmas tree of dots leaning at about 30 degrees, top dot is brighter than the others. With my glasses on, the christmas tree becomes a circular cluster of dots, with the 12:00 dot brighter than the others. Do those of you who see things this way center up the group of dots on the bull, or do you focus on the "lead" brightest dot and put it on the bull? I should also say I'm new to glasses--which I realized I needed to clear up the front sight when shooting irons.

Related, I took a picture with my phone through the tube and can clearly see one nice, round, clearly defined dot. Why do my eyes see the picture of the dot correctly but they see a christmas tree when looking directly through the sight tube?

teason

Back to top Go down

new to dot (astigmatism, yay!) Empty Re: new to dot (astigmatism, yay!)

Post by SingleActionAndrew 1/16/2020, 5:06 pm

The camera doesnt have an astigmatism and the phone display is made up of so many tiny points and with lower intensity that I don't think our eyes would be able to perceive a similar starbust/smear
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 1/16/2020, 8:23 pm

Don’t freak out a lot of us have this condition! Go to EBay and search Eye Pal and spend 20 bucks for the 2 pack for pistols and enjoy your perfectly clear dot
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by teason 1/17/2020, 8:24 am

thanks, i’ll give it a try.

teason

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 1/17/2020, 9:17 am

Can you turn the brightness down?   If the dot is translucent and you can see through it, its much  "rounder"  Smile

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/17/2020, 9:18 am

teason wrote:.......by dot I mean a christmas tree of dots leaning at about 30 degrees, top dot is brighter than the others. With my glasses on, the christmas tree becomes a circular cluster of dots, with the 12:00 dot brighter than the others. ......
Are your glasses prescription lenses, and is your shooting eye's astigmatism corrected by the prescription, in addition to distance vision?
Are your glasses "safety glasses" (both eyes) for shooting?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by teason 1/17/2020, 11:07 am

brightness on 1.  it's a cluster of connected dots, each dot is round, the top one is the "lead" dot and is clearly brightest.  glasses are prescription, but they are for computer monitor distance away ~24".  My distance vision, aside from the astigmatism, is good.  The weird thing is that with the prescription glasses on, the christmas tree shaped cluster turns into a circular cluster--almost like one perfect big dot, except at 11:00, i can clearly see the "lead" dot.  I notice the prescription for astigmatism working when I shoot a pistol with a tritium/white dot front sight.

teason

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 1/17/2020, 11:30 am

Computer glasses are not needed.  Regular glasses that correct your eyes to perfection will work  best.  The dot is on the plane of the target.   Look at the X and shoot at that instead of looking a the dot. 

Which sight, how MOA is the dot?

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by teason 1/17/2020, 12:11 pm

David, the dot sight is all new territory.  I've not been practicing with my glasses because they are not sharp at distance.  When you say correct to perfection--at what distance?

Oh, and the dot is an older 1" ultradot.

teason

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 1/17/2020, 12:29 pm

When I shot dots, I had similar problems seeing them clearly.  Mine looked more like a figure 8 sideways.  One side was brighter and I concentrated on that one which seemed to work best.  A couple more tricks I used were to dial the brightness down and I used a Merit adjustable iris which helped the most.  I think you might be able to get an eyeglass prescription but I never took it that far.  
I did notice that the dot looks pretty good and round when generally looking through the scope but that deformity took place once I put the dot onto the target.  My conclusion was that the dark contrast was playing a part in how I saw the dot.  I suppose it could also be that I was more focused on the dot when there was also a target to see but either way, the dot looked perfect until I really needed it to.
Good luck.
John

Last edited by John Dervis on 1/26/2020, 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected terminology)

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by teason 1/17/2020, 12:50 pm

John, that’s kinda what i’m looking for—whether to center the blob or just the brightest dot.

teason

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 1/17/2020, 2:37 pm

teason wrote:David, the dot sight is all new territory.  I've not been practicing with my glasses because they are not sharp at distance.  When you say correct to perfection--at what distance?

Oh, and the dot is an older 1" ultradot.
Think look at the target.  

Its like riding a motorcycle.  Look at the bad spot in the curve and that is where you will end up. Look through the curve and you will exacute a great turn. 

Cutting a slice of bread, look at the bottom of the slice and it will be nice and straight.

Drawing a line? Look where you want to end up.

Throwing a BALL? Look at the target.

Focus on where your shot is going.  I learned this here,  It worked in sporter rifle too.  I shoot a 14X scope at 50 feet.  I watch the cross dart around the target and try to pull the trigger when its going by the bull.   Then I learned.  LOOK AT THE BULL and pull the trigger when the Cross is there.  

Watch the bull, put the dot on the bull.   Hit the bull...    Everyday glasses,  focused for your everyday vision.   These will help make the dot round.   Unlike Irons, the focal point is the target.

On 50 and 25 yard targets,
I used to say All shots on the paper.    Good!
Then it was all shots on the repair center and I don't need any repair tape. Good!
All shots in the black!
Now I am trying for All shots in the X which is where I should have started.  Aim for the X, not just the black. Look at the X.
Grip  the gun firmly, squeeze the trigger gently.  Smile

Almost no one has shot a perfect score in Bullseye, so there is always room for improvement.

Enjoy
David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by teason 1/26/2020, 8:09 pm

James Hensler wrote:Don’t freak out a lot of us have this condition! Go to EBay and search Eye Pal and spend 20 bucks for the 2 pack for pistols and enjoy your perfectly clear dot
i got out some old leather punches and electrical tape and made my own to test it out. it works! one nice round, well-defined dot. thanks for the advice.

teason

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down