Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eye blinder for shooting ?

+9
mikemyers
LenV
messenger
Allen Barnett
willnewton
Outthere
Jon Math
james r chapman
smsnyder
13 posters

Go down

Eye blinder for shooting ? Empty Eye blinder for shooting ?

Post by smsnyder Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:14 pm

Any of you guys use a eye blinder on your non dominant eye to shot? Does it help?

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Eye blinder for shooting ? Empty Re: Eye blinder for shooting ?

Post by james r chapman Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:23 pm

Yes, and yes.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:23 pm

Sort of -- it’s over my dominate eye – but I’m left eyed and right handed.   I prefer both my eyes open so yes blocking one is better than closing one.  I use a translucent blocker so the light transmission is pretty good and both my pupils, I’d guess,  are very close to equal in size so one eye is not trying to compensate for darkness.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:00 pm

I use a white translucent one. A black one made me dizzy.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:24 pm

One strip of tape vertically on the inside of the glasses near the nose.  You can see just fine looking forward, but blocks the target when the body is in a bladed stance for singlehand shooting.

3M Blenderm tape is perfect.  Matte finish, a bit thick and rubbery, very easy to remove, but durable.  Easy to find in most pharmacy first aid sections.

Did not like black or white blinders.  Did not like dealing with flipup blinders.  Been using the tape for several years.  

Gets you down to one eye only when needed and gives zero visual distraction.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:43 pm

I have always used an ocluder clipped to my hat bill and I prefer a black one. Just never could learn to shoot both eyes open without one.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:26 pm

With red dot, both eyes open. With open sights, black ocular on my left lens and eye pal on my right.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:01 am

messenger wrote:With red dot, both eyes open. With open sights, black ocular on my left lens and eye pal on my right.

Bill
+1 see Avatar
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:41 am

When I asked about this a year or so ago, someone on the forum (I have his name back at home, but not with me) sent me this occluder.  I trimmed it, and now it woks fine, light comes through, but no detail.

Anytime I don't want to be seeing through it, it flips up, out of the way.

Eye blinder for shooting ? Img_0927
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:25 am

Had my left eye done yesterday, toric IOL for distance. I'm struggling right now. I am/was really myopic, like -7.0, and the difference in the perceived size of things is huge. Its going to be a bi**h until I can get the RT one done. I have a contact for the non op eye and will try that today, if that don't work I'm not sure I'll be safe driving for work much less getting anything done at work.
I am looking forward to the final result, being really near sighted all my life then presbyopia advancing has made shooting a challenge.
I really enjoy reading how others overcome eyesight problems.
Thanks for letting me whine a little here.......

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:12 pm

blindshooter wrote:Had my left eye done yesterday, toric IOL for distance. I'm struggling right now. I am/was really myopic, like -7.0, and the difference in the perceived size of things is huge. Its going to be a bi**h until I can get the (right eye) done......
I'm going to send your question to one of the doctors here at Aravind.  Is the problem that the size of objects is different in one eye from the other eye, or that the size of objects in the eye with the IOL is larger/smaller than it used to be?

I'm surprised that a day after surgery, you're doing much of anything.  The instructions here are to do nothing, and slowly start doing what you used to, as long as it isn't dangerous to the eye that had the surgery (don't sleep on that side of your face, no showers, no cooking if smoke/steam is coming out, no shaving, nothing that can allow dirt/dust to get near the eye, and their healing time goes out to ten days or so.

Please let me know the answer to my first paragraph, so I can get the proper answer from the doctors.

For the first day, my own suggestion is you stay home, indoors, and follow the list of instructions that they most likely gave you.....   or maybe forgot to.  You can look it up on the internet, post-op instructions for cataract surgery, such as this page:
https://visioneyeinstitute.com.au/eyematters/cataract-surgery-post-surgical-guide/
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:35 pm

Yes, with the newly corrected left eye things appear much larger than the uncorrected right eye. I removed the left lens from my glasses and that just made it worse. Only way to function like that is cover one or the other eye. My regular eye doc gave me a contact for the uncorrected Rt eye, he says that with the contact on the eye the difference will be much less than the lens in the glasses. I used contacts for years before allergy problems made them more trouble than they were worth. I'll try the contact later today. Other than a little haze/cloudiness the left eye is great. They told me to expect some of that.
I am keeping the clear shield over it and just lying around today. Using the drops and following instructions. I have a huge monitor set to dark themes and only look at it a minute or so at the time.
Thanks for your concern and any insight is appreciated.

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:49 pm

That is normal. Corrected lenses seem to always reduce sizes. Contacts don’t.

You’ll go crazy soon...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:19 pm

blindshooter wrote:Yes, with the newly corrected left eye things appear much larger than the uncorrected right eye. I removed the left lens from my glasses and that just made it worse. Only way to function like that is cover one or the other eye.......
For me, for a day or so, I had my corrected eye covered, and made sure to sleep with that eye "up".  If you have an occluder, that would solve the problem, or, as someone suggested, some translucent tape to put over the corrected eye's lens, so you're just seeing with the right eye.

I'll ask the doctors here and see if they have any advice.  

Did your have your eye corrected for distance vision, or near?   Did you get a monofocal IOL, or a multi-focal IOL.  I know it corrects for Toric.   Which reminds me, do you have a red dot sight handy, so you can see what that looks like now?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:50 pm

I went with distance and astigmatism correction, I have to drive at night and my doctor seemed to think that was the best option.
I have a Trijicon RMR but no tube dot. I've always used open sights for the little bullseye shooting I do
I'm just resting now, let it heal some before worrying about shooting. I see some halo around red lights like the digital clock face. Hope that goes away.

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:37 pm

james r chapman wrote:That is normal. Corrected lenses seem to always reduce sizes. Contacts don’t.

You’ll go crazy soon...
Mr. Chapman, I've been there forever. Some have said I never quite grew up, I like it like that. This getting old thing with a childs mind sucks. lol!
Got that contact in the non-op eye and I must say its much better, stole my wife's readers, now I want to drag out a pistol!
She says sit down and I know now that don't mean stand up........

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:15 pm

I used to shoot 2 eyes open but lately my non-dominant eye has been "fighting" with my dominant eye a bit. I've been using a small round paster stuck to the top inside corner of my non-dominant lens on my prescription glasses, it's just enough to shield my non-dominant eye from seeing the dot but still gives me some vision out of my non-dominant eye, I prefer to avoid huge blinders.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:04 pm

LenV wrote:
messenger wrote:With red dot, both eyes open. With open sights, black ocular on my left lens and eye pal on my right.

Bill
+1 see Avatar

nice TShirt, 

I do the tape thing on my Decot's
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:21 am

blindshooter wrote:Had my left eye done yesterday, toric IOL for distance. I'm struggling right now. I am/was really myopic, like -7.0, and the difference in the perceived size of things is huge. Its going to be a bi**h until I can get the RT one done. I have a contact for the non op eye and will try that today, if that don't work I'm not sure I'll be safe driving for work much less getting anything done at work.
I am looking forward to the final result, being really near sighted all my life then presbyopia advancing has made shooting a challenge.
I really enjoy reading how others overcome eyesight problems.
Thanks for letting me whine a little here.......

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ssusa_201903/index.php#/44

Blindshooter, this will explain perhaps more than you asked for.  Your left eye with the introcular implant will now see about 10% larger than the opposite eye.  Although percentage-wise that may not seem very much, but as you pointed out, the perceived size difference is huge.

Although it is true that those of us who are nearsighted will see objects smaller through our eyeglasses, others who are farsighted will see objects larger through there eyeglasses.

I would appreciate future feedback after your eye heals and you start shooting again.  With the larger image of your sight picture, would you find it easier to shoot (which may lead to better scores)?

Norman

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:28 am

Thank you Norman, I pretty much understood how it works from my days shooting HPR. After legging out and getting started with match rifle my shooting friends couldn't make sense of my aperture settings compared to what they used in the same conditions. My optometrist has been a great help, he spent extra time with me to get the best solutions as I aged. It seems that as presbyopia advances the distance power decreases some amount.
Presbyopia + myopia was a bit of a challenge, I still held HM ATC and LR so it can be overcome. The number boards at 1k under some conditions were my biggest challenge.
Never spent much time with the pistol until arthritis and some old spine injuries stopped position shooting. Its just me trying to best myself now.
I will post how things go as this process goes forward. Maybe I should start another thread.

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:41 pm

blindshooter wrote:Had my left eye done yesterday, toric IOL for distance. I'm struggling right now. I am/was really myopic, like -7.0, and the difference in the perceived size of things is huge. Its going to be a bi**h until I can get the RT one done. I have a contact for the non op eye and will try that today, if that don't work I'm not sure I'll be safe driving for work much less getting anything done at work.......
I had a chance to ask a doctor about it today.  That you're seeing such a huge difference in size is normal, after your surgery in one eye.  Her first question was how soon are they going to do the cataract surgery on your other eye.   She suggested the same thing I wrote up above, use only your right eye, the one you're used to seeing through.  You'll only have one eye, but you won't have the issue of different sizes for everything in front of you, with one eye seeing things "bigger".

Look at the bright side though - as was already pointed out, you'll eventually be seeing your front sight or dot "magnified".  

She understands how difficult this would be for driving.  Did you ask your own doctor about it?  

Sorry I can't get you any better advice

(Even now, with both my eyes "done", one eye sees things slightly larger than the other, but I've gotten used to it.  Easy for me, as my eyes never worked as a pair.  I use one, or the other.)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:32 pm

MM, thanks for asking the doc!
I have the contact they gave me for the unfixed eye in place now. The image is still smaller but MUCH better. Depth perception is getting better slowly. At least I'm not hitting door jams as I pass through....my job requires a lot of driving, not sure about that yet. I also have to repair small devices, some with small tablet display screens and use a laptop for diagnosis and machine manuals etc. 
My RT eye is scheduled on 2-11. Three weeks between surgery's. I told them I would jump on a cancellation if one comes up.

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down