Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Must have items for bullseye shooting?

+13
Bubba Blaster
mikemyers
zanemoseley
Outthere
SingleActionAndrew
Ed Hall
Aprilian
STEVE SAMELAK
Sa-tevp
Tim:H11
James Hensler
JKR
smsnyder
17 posters

Go down

Must have items for bullseye shooting? Empty Must have items for bullseye shooting?

Post by smsnyder Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:48 pm

Ok guys what is the must have items I may need for bullseye shooting. I decided to stick with the pardini 22 with the aimpoint h2 2.5 moa red dot

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Must have items for bullseye shooting? Empty Re: Must have items for bullseye shooting?

Post by JKR Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:27 pm

Here’s what you need. A good 22. You have that covered. A good 45. Good ammo for both. A decent scope to confirm your call. Personal comfort items like rain gear, snacks, water, etc...
Chances are you’ll get to a match and see all the stuff others drag with them. Back up guns, back up ammo, brass nets, carts, stools, tools, magazines, I could go on and on. I personally fell into this trap. This past year at Perry I had the great privilege to shoot next to Keith Sanderson. Keith came to the line with one very small sling pack.Near as I could tell he had his gun for the day and it’s ammo, a small scope and tripod, and a small collapsible camp chair. Probably other things that I didn’t see. When the shooting was done and we were struggling with boxes and carts, etc, Keith through his little pack over his shoulder and walked away. Apparently all you need to win a national championship.

JKR

Back to top Go down

Must have items for bullseye shooting? Empty Re: Must have items for bullseye shooting?

Post by James Hensler Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:27 pm

A nice Range Box with Spotting Scope
A clip board for score sheets
Staple gun with STAPLES 
Folding Chair
Folding Wagon to carry everything 
Overlay
Pen

Anything else that I am missing?
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Yea lots and lots of bullets to practice. Lol

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:26 pm

The bare minimum is gun and ammunition. Obviously we carry much more with us for other conveniences. My minimum load out is such:

Pistol Box built to carry no less than two guns and equipped with a spotting scope mount (could be substituted for a bag and tripod),
Spotting scope,
22 caliber rimfire pistol and two magazines,
45 caliber pistol and two magazines,
Enough ammunition for both guns to shoot your intended course of fire to include what you need in the event of an alibi,
Any tool that may be necessary to adjust sights,
A pen,
A clip board,
A scoring overlay,
Empty chamber indicator,
If you can not consistently hold shots inside the repair center then maybe you might want to consider pasters or masking tape,
Staple gun and staples,
Ear and eye pro to include any blinders or apertures you might use,
Might want to keep a spare battery for your optic in the box,
Probably a very small oil applicator - very small.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:45 pm

"Mr Ed Hall to the white courtesy phone..."

Some Lists of What to Take to Matches

(In case you are not signed in and can't see the link: https://starreloaders.com/edhall/lists.html )

Last edited by Sa-tevp on Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add full link address)
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:35 pm

How about a good attitude & sense of humor?  If I didn't have a good dog & knack for humorous screw ups I prolly couldn't attend many matches.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:39 pm

...a willingness to pitch in and help...

At first others will help you, but then you need to help new shooters and Match Directors.   Running matches and helping new shooters succeed are the most important things to having matches continue into the future.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:47 am

Sa-tevp wrote:"Mr Ed Hall to the white courtesy phone..."

Thanks!  The call made me smile this morning.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:53 am

I got caught very thirsty when I showed up at the match this week and a dollar short for my league fee. I had to borrow a dollar from an acquaintance at the range to make league fee, and then couldn't borrow Another couple dollars for the vending machine for something to drink and the range didnt have a water fountain. By the time I was shooting I was uncomfortably dehydrated.

Cash and water. Now on the minimum viable equipment list for me
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:11 pm

SingleActionAndrew wrote:I got caught very thirsty when I showed up at the match this week and a dollar short for my league fee. I had to borrow a dollar from an acquaintance at the range to make league fee, and then couldn't borrow Another couple dollars for the vending machine for something to drink and the range didnt have a water fountain. By the time I was shooting I was uncomfortably dehydrated.

Cash and water. Now on the minimum viable equipment list for me
No one would give you a few bucks for a drink. Real nice group of shooters there.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:32 pm

A nice range box (I prefer metal strong cases) with a nice scope (I finally dropped the coin on the smallest Vortex Razor scope) is at the top of my list quickly followed by a real brass net. Seen some people try to make a net but never really saw a well done one.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:47 pm

smsnyder wrote:Ok guys what is the must have items I may need for bullseye shooting. I decided to stick with the pardini 22 with the aimpoint  h2 2.5 moa red dot
What kind of match are you going to?  A major outdoor match with lots of people, 25 and 50 yards, and so on, or a simple club match, maybe indoors?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:01 pm

Both

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:18 pm

Ed Hall wrote:Thanks!  The call made me smile this morning.

No problem. Good lists to look at and something to return to to read with a newer viewpoint.

Here is another goody: Some Suggestions for Making it Easier to Compete

( https://starreloaders.com/edhall/suggestions.html )
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:21 am

Thank you Ed, wonderful list, lots of things I knew, but lots of things I didn't!!!!
I love the last one, about the staples, so  you know when you're about to run out.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba Blaster Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:30 pm

JKR wrote:Here’s what you need. A good 22. You have that covered. A good 45. Good ammo for both. A decent scope to confirm your call. Personal comfort items like rain gear, snacks, water, etc...
Chances are you’ll get to a match and see all the stuff others drag with them. Back up guns, back up ammo, brass nets, carts, stools, tools, magazines, I could go on and on. I personally fell into this trap. This past year at Perry I had the great privilege to shoot next to Keith Sanderson. Keith came to the line with one very small sling pack.Near as I could tell he had his gun for the day and it’s ammo, a small scope and tripod, and a small collapsible camp chair. Probably other things that I didn’t see. When the shooting was done and we were struggling with boxes and carts, etc, Keith through his little pack over his shoulder and walked away. Apparently all you need to win a national championship.
Great story ,thanks for sharing with us .

Bubba Blaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:46 pm

One of the few times I diverge from Ed.  

I would generally add the Notebook / Journal to all of his lists, even the first ones.  

At bare minimum its needed for names, notes, and lists of stuff you want, scores, etc.  

Later it becomes the basis for all your training, record keeping and memories. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:47 pm

I suppose it is possible to over think/do the whole must have thing.

Must have items for bullseye shooting? Dscf0628
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:00 pm

CR10X wrote:One of the few times I diverge from Ed.  

I would generally add the Notebook / Journal to all of his lists, even the first ones.  

At bare minimum its needed for names, notes, and lists of stuff you want, scores, etc.  

Later it becomes the basis for all your training, record keeping and memories. 

CR
Excellent point!  Omission corrected.  Thanks.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinkemulder Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:18 pm

Sa-tevp wrote:"Mr Ed Hall to the white courtesy phone..."

(In case you are not signed in and can't see the link: https://starreloaders.com/edhall/lists.html )

Great List Ed Hall
Vinkemulder
Vinkemulder

Back to top Go down

Post by 45ACP223 Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:02 pm

Len, you are definitely "The Man" when it comes to equipment!  Nice job my friend!
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down