Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

old/new shooter

Go down

old/new shooter Empty old/new shooter

Post by Gary Collette on 1/22/2020, 10:57 am

I'm getting back into shooting after a 22 year break to make a living and raise the family.
I was an indoor master when I stopped shooting and have worked my way back into Expert after two years shooting indoor leagues.
I recently purchased a Bob Javery 1911 45ACP and mounted an Ultra dot to a Clark slide mount and am working my way through the springs/ bullet weight/ load to get the pistol to be 100%.
I will be shooting my first 1800 with it on Feb. 2nd in Manchester CT.
I do intend to go outdoors with it in the spring and figured I would ask the opinions as to my use of once fired mixed brass for the short line and the practice I am reading about of using new brass on the long line.
Is the new brass really worth the efforts and expense at Expert skill level?
I find that indoors at 25yards my Pardini and any rimfire ammo ( CCI standard/ Agila ) that goes bang when I pull the trigger seems to match my called shots.
The bullets I have selected to start my centerfire shooting with are coated 200swc with 4.1GR of bullseye and zero 180HP with 4.9 GR Bullseye.
Both function the pistol and seem soft enough to give good results in slow and timed.
Rapid fire is a struggle at this point for me.
Thanks for any input and I am wide open to try any changes.

G

Gary Collette

Back to top Go down

old/new shooter Empty Re: old/new shooter

Post by Al on 1/22/2020, 11:37 am

First off, welcome back to our addiction Gary!

50' and 25 yd line, you could use mixed brass without sacrificing much in accuracy. Even mixed brass in a well built 1911 will shoot sub 'x' ring.  Long line, I use matched headstamps. Personally I've never purchased new brass, with careful load development, both my wad guns and hardball gun will turn in 2" groups or less @ 50 yards.

Your loads seem to be a bit on the hot side. Personally I'd drop the shortline load (assuming its the 4.1 BE) a few tenths to 3.6-3.9. They'll shoot as well and your recovery time will be less. I'd also play with reducing the long line load to 4.5-4.6. But, those shoot best in my 1911's. As long as they're shooting well in your's, that would be the true test.

I'm also assuming you meant to say the Zero 185 JHP instead of the Zero 180HP. If you're using a 180 gr swaged HP, I'd drop that load to 3.8-4.1 BE.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Collette on 1/22/2020, 12:29 pm

Al,
Thanks for the welcome.
I was shooting a 185GR with 3.6 BE however when I went with the slide mounted Ultra Dot I got stove pipes.
I decided to try the 200GR and was given the 4.1 as a start point.
You are correct in the zero's are 180JHP.
I'm using a #10 LB recoil spring and don't seem to feel the slide slamming the frame and the gun is 100%.
I do have recoil springs down to #8 LB and up to #15Lb so I can reduce or increase there if need be.
I'll load up some .1 increments down to 3.6 and try them.
I assume you are shoot a slide mount also?
What weight recoil spring do you run?
I also gotta get an assortment of Hammer springs as I don't know what cam in the gun.
I just went through a similar situation with a Nelson conversion as far as springs goes.
I am currently using that to shoot plates with high velocity and it is 100%.

Thanks, G

Gary Collette

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning on 1/22/2020, 1:57 pm

Welcome back.
I wouldn't go lower than 10# on the recoil spring, some do.  Check the mainspring, I'd start with a 19# mainspring and wouldn't go lower than 17# or you may get light strikes.  Also check to see if the firing pin stop has a small or large radius, large radius is preferred on a light load wad gun.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Al on 1/22/2020, 2:02 pm

The following is based on my limited experience with 2 slide mounted dots (both wad guns) that have had over 80,000rds through the first and nearly 5000 rds through the new one.

Yes your 10# spring is very light. Mine are 12#. My short line load is 3.6 Clays with a H&G 130 (195 gr). I tried 3.4 gr Clays with the same and it didn't generate enough recoil to consistently cycle, but it shot really well. My long line match load is 4.6 BE with the Zero 185JHP. Both these shoot well with a slide mounted 1" ultra dot mounted on Rock River combo ribs (both open sights and cross hatched for dot rings). I know the steel ribs add considerable weight to the equation, but I like having the option to take one pistol out and then remove the dot to practice with open sights.

BE & Clays are pretty close on burning rate. I think Be is just a tad hotter.  I used to shoot a 13# spring, but the last 2 rapid fires in the 45 stage of a 2700 would not lock back the slide. The extra gunk slowed things down enough to prevent that. So I just went to a 12#, that solved the lock back issue.

I honestly couldn't tell you what my hammer mainspring weight is. I know they're heavier than my Nelson conversion frames. There's some really good BE smiths on this list & they'll be able to advise far better than I can.

Al

Give Larry Nelson a jingle on the springs(480-699-8040). I picked up an assortment of spring weights from him last year at Perry, but can't remember what # they were.

Last edited by Al on 1/22/2020, 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Al on 1/22/2020, 2:07 pm

dronning wrote:Welcome back.
I wouldn't go lower than 10# on the recoil spring, some do.  Check the mainspring, I'd start with a 19# mainspring and wouldn't go lower than 17# or you may get light strikes.  Also check to see if the firing pin stop has a small or large radius, large radius is preferred on a light load wad gun.
- Dave
Didn't think about the firing pin radius when I started having issues with my 3.4 load. My Springfield has a large radius & my Caspian has a small radius. However, thanks to CRS I can't remember if it was one or both that weren't reliable.
Al

PS: Dave, you going to Wadena this weekend?

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning on 1/22/2020, 2:47 pm

Al wrote:
PS: Dave, you going to Wadena this weekend?
Unfortunately no we are helping our niece and her fiance move into their new place.  So far this winter I haven't made a single match due to conflicts Sad.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Workman on 1/22/2020, 3:35 pm

I use 4.2 g. of BE with the same setup you have. I use a 10 lb. spring. I recently tested some 185 Nozler JHP with 4.5 g. of BE. That load was very accurate.
 To test for proper recoil spring, load one round. Fire the round and Make sure the slide locks back. Use the heaviest spring that will allow the slide to lock back all the time.

Kermit Workman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum