Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spotting scope with long eye relief

+4
mahoak
DavidR
jakuda
Doc-Zeus
8 posters

Go down

Spotting scope with long eye relief Empty Spotting scope with long eye relief

Post by Doc-Zeus 2/2/2013, 1:28 am

I've been spoiled with my Nikon binoculars that have enough eye relief that I don't have to remove my glasses in order to get full view. Now, if I'm going to spend the money for a good spotting scope, I want enough eye relief that I can get full view without taking my glasses off to look thru and see my target.

Any recommendations?

Doc-Zeus

Back to top Go down

Spotting scope with long eye relief Empty Re: Spotting scope with long eye relief

Post by jakuda 2/2/2013, 1:50 am

does the scope need to fit in your gun box?
How much magnification do you need?
All part of the equation...

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Spotting scope with long eye relief Empty Re: Spotting scope with long eye relief

Post by Doc-Zeus 2/2/2013, 2:22 am

Yes, needs to fit bullseye box. Need to clearly see .22 holes at 50 ft.

Doc-Zeus

Back to top Go down

Post by jakuda 2/2/2013, 3:03 am

alpen 20x 50mm scope is cheap and fits the bill. If you go further up in the mag range the image quality suffers. I know people like to recommend the champions choice 45degree 15-45x scope, but the image quality is pretty bad.

If you can find it (ebay may be the easiest option) I've been a convert to the Meade 60AZt compact telescope. The included 17.5mm eyepiece yields a 20x image with large eye relief. Decent quality (for our purposes) out of the box. If you buy a better $30-50 eyepiece the image quality goes up a bit. A 12.4mm eyepiece yields a 30x image with the scope. Also the telescope has a 45 degree neck.

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 2/2/2013, 3:25 pm

Look for a Kowa ts 501, they have a good eye relief, super clear, great for bullseye, see 22 at 50 yds great but they are no made anymore, but i see them from time to time for sale on ebay. Fits right on a gun box scope mount and fits perfect with lid closed
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/3/2013, 1:28 am

You can still buy new Kowa ts 501 s at CMP for $280

832 1 Scope - Kowa 20X50 Spotting $280.00

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 2/4/2013, 5:04 pm

ChipEck wrote:You can still buy new Kowa ts 501 s at CMP for $280

I believe you will find they dont have any available even though they are listed, Kowa stopped making these six years ago and they are highly sought after. ebay is the only place ive seen them in the last few years and occasionally on the bullseye list and target talk forum.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/4/2013, 8:14 pm

DavidR wrote:
ChipEck wrote:You can still buy new Kowa ts 501 s at CMP for $280

I believe you will find they dont have any available even though they are listed, Kowa stopped making these six years ago and they are highly sought after. ebay is the only place ive seen them in the last few years and occasionally on the bullseye list and target talk forum.

Maybe. I ordered Sunday and received this

rom: CMP Order Shipment [ship@thecmp.org]
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2013 2:03 PM
To: Eckardt, Chip
Subject: Order Acknowledgement For Order# 6524

Civilian Marksmanship Program
1401 Commerce Blvd
Anniston, AL 36207
http://www.odcmp.com
Telephone: 256-835-8455

Dear customer,

This document acknowledges that we have begun processing your order.
Please review the information presented and advise us of any corrections
or changes that should be made. For fastest service, call us at the phone
number above and refer to our Order Number 6524 when speaking with our
representative. There is no need to contact us if all information is
correct.

Bill To: Ship To:
Paul P Eckardt III Paul P Eckardt III

Qty Price Item-No Item-Description
---------- ------------- --------------- ------------------------------
1 $280.00 832 Scope - Kowa 20X50 Spotting
-------------
$280.00 Sales Total
$8.95 Freight Charges
$288.95 Grand Tot

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 2/4/2013, 9:55 pm

Well lets cross out fingers, keep us posted and let us know if you get it. I talked to the kowa factory today after reading this thinking maybe they brought it back because of the high demand but they just confirmed it hasn't been produced since 2006.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/4/2013, 11:27 pm

Will do. Maybe CMP had some in a back room??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/18/2013, 3:32 am

Nope. While I received email confirmation they never shipped, nor chargedmy credit card. You would think they would have at least sent an email saying they did not have any but no such luck...
Chip

Back to top Go down

Post by mahoak 2/18/2013, 2:05 pm

ChipEck wrote:Nope. While I received email confirmation they never shipped, nor chargedmy credit card. You would think they would have at least sent an email saying they did not have any but no such luck...
Chip
A few weeks ago they sent out a Sales Newsletter saying they were over 1000 order behind in just .22 orders. Your order is probably under all those. Usually, if it is on the website, they have it. Send them an e-mail if your in a hurry, they usually answer within a day or two.

mahoak

Back to top Go down

Post by Yiogo 2/18/2013, 5:41 pm

I just spent $35 on a Barska scope which has multiple magnification settings. My scope mount and shipping cost more than the scope itself. I have no trouble seeing the holes in the target at 50' even at the 20 magnification setting. That's with my glasses on. Safety glasses or my prescription glasses which are also safety rated. Granted I'm far sighted with a slight astigmatism. I am a newcomer to Bullseye so someone please explain to me why I need to spend so much on a better scope? Yiogo

Yiogo

Back to top Go down

Post by jakuda 2/18/2013, 5:54 pm

At 50 yards trying to see a 22 hole at dusk or evening, you'll see the value in a better scope. That being said a cheap 20x50mm scope is just fine during the day most of the time.

I find a 30x is the best compromise for me. I use a Meade 60AZT compact telescope with a Meade aftermarket 12.4mm eyepiece which equates to ~30x with that scope. Eye relief is acceptable with that eyepiece.

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Spotting scope with long eye relief Empty Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations

Post by yynick 2/18/2013, 7:10 pm

I use a Pentax 65mm Spotting Scope and wear glasses. The eyepiece is variable from 20-60X and I have had no difficulty with the eye relief. I suggest Ebay for probably best prices on a used one. You can buy just the body and then use your own variable or fixed power eyepiece. Ed

yynick

Back to top Go down

Post by Yiogo 2/18/2013, 9:18 pm

Just wondering. I shoot at 50' indoors. Thanks. Yiogo

Yiogo

Back to top Go down

Post by ddivins 3/14/2013, 1:01 am

I just received my shipping tracking notice from CMP for my TS-501. I ordered on 2/5 or so. Looks like they really have them. WIll post pics when it arrives. I hope it is nicer than the CC I have.

ddivins

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3/14/2013, 1:19 am

They DID ship the scope!

Chip

Civilian Marksmanship Program
1401 Commerce Blvd
Anniston, AL 36207
http://www.odcmp.com
Telephone: 256-835-8455

Dear CMP Customer

Order# 652 for your PO# INTERNET which was placed on 02/02/13 has been
shipped to:

Chip Eckardt

This order shipped through FedEx Xpr Saver. The tracking number is

The following are the contents of this shipment:
Qty Item-No Item-Description
--------- --------------- ------------------------------
1 832 Scope - Kowa 20X50 Spotting

You may track shipment online by clicking the following link:
http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?ascend_header=1&clienttype=
If above link wrapped and clicking does not work, please manually copy
above link and paste to your browser address box to track the shipment
online.

We thank you for your support of our program. If you should have any
questions, please feel free to contact us. Our phone number is
256-835-8455 Central Time7:00AM - 3:30PM. You may also email us
mailto:ship@thecmp.org

Last edited by ChipEck on 3/14/2013, 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated)

Back to top Go down

Spotting scope with long eye relief Empty Scope Arrived

Post by Guest 3/15/2013, 1:23 am

Chip
Scope is brand new but the warranty card had a copyright date of 2005 so maybe they do have a stockpile of these in a back room. image is perfect, sharp and bright.

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 3/15/2013, 2:42 pm

great news, id say the reason they have a lost stash is the price, the last one i bought new was at perry in 04 from champions choice it was 179.00, now at 280.00 today is still a good deal because of its quality. Hopefully you wont need the warranty, being out of production for 7 years, not sure kowa would honor it anyway.might give them a call just to see what they say.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3/30/2013, 9:05 pm

DavidR wrote:great news, id say the reason they have a lost stash is the price, the last one i bought new was at perry in 04 from champions choice it was 179.00, now at 280.00 today is still a good deal because of its quality. Hopefully you wont need the warranty, being out of production for 7 years, not sure kowa would honor it anyway.might give them a call just to see what they say.

They said they honor warranty. Must have kept a supply of parts.

Chip

Back to top Go down

Post by pergoman 3/31/2013, 2:43 am

I have to give a thumbs up to the Barska 18-36 x 50 with the angled eyepiece. Midway has these paired with a 6-24 rifle scope for $99. I bought this setup several months ago and must say that I am very pleased. The image is great considering the price. Better than anything else at $200 or more that I compared. I was willing to spend $300 or more for a compact scope for in my box and I am glad I purchased this one. Several other shooters have looked through mine and purchased one for themselves.

pergoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down