Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W Model 41 alibi

+12
CrankyThunder
lyman1903
LenV
SonOfAGun
wingnut170
REConley
Wobbley
mikemyers
Aprilian
STEVE SAMELAK
spursnguns
djw1cav
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

S&W Model 41 alibi - Page 2 Empty S&W Model 41 alibi

Post by djw1cav 2/11/2020, 1:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Last night I had an alibi with my S&W model 41.  It worked fine for slow and timed fire.  When I got to rapid fire (magazine #5) I pulled the trigger and nothing happened.  It felt like the safety was on but it was not.  A round was in the chamber.  My alibi was allowed.  I fired the next string of timed fire with magazine #6 and the pistol performed perfectly.  When it was time for my alibi string, I put a new round in magazine #5 and attempted to fire the string.  Again, nothing happened when I pulled the trigger, once again it felt like the safety was on but it was not.  At the time I had no clue what was wrong.  But after giving it some thought it sure looks like it is a magazine problem.

Before I tear into this I wanted to bounce this off of some of the more experienced model 41 users.
Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, how did you correct it?
Do I need to tweak something in the pistol or is it just a magazine problem?

note:
The pistol has 3000 rounds total thru it and 80 since cleaning.  I have never cleaned the magazines.

Doug

djw1cav

Back to top Go down

S&W Model 41 alibi - Page 2 Empty Re: S&W Model 41 alibi

Post by Steve K 2/13/2020, 10:29 pm

To clean the 41 frame I use Simple Green. After I take it from the solution I use the hottest tap water to rinse, place it in vegetable dehydrator, and finally lube it with Breakfree. I never had a rust problem.

Steve K

Back to top Go down

Post by r.tornello 2/29/2020, 12:04 pm

Crud build up. It needs to be cleaned. The comment about the magazine not pushing the disconnector is something I had an issue with too. I took the grip off and watchhed how the firing system worked, or didn't. I put a fresh mag in and it worked. I also clean my mags after each practice in all my guns.

The 41 seems to like a very LIGHT lube and low viscosity. Otherwise the fire control system gums up after 200 to 300 rounds. That was one evening of practice for me.

Don Nygord said it: A clean gun (and that includes magazines) shoot better. If a dirty gun shot better, the manufacturer would sell them all crudded up.
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2