Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum

+9
john bickar
Stork
OldShooter43
James Hensler
dronning
zanemoseley
DA/SA
SonOfAGun
mikemyers
13 posters

Go down

Why do you participate in the Bullseye Forum?

Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Vote_lcap4%Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 10 ]
Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Vote_lcap5%Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 11 ]
Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Vote_lcap24%Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 54 ]
Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Vote_lcap14%Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 31 ]
Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Vote_lcap26%Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 60 ]
Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Vote_lcap24%Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 55 ]
Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Vote_lcap3%Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 228

Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Empty Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum

Post by mikemyers 2/13/2020, 1:28 pm

After reading almost the whole book "With Winning in Mind", I realized that it has very little to do with my own goals and enjoyment.  Since the 1980's, I used to enjoy what I called "target shooting", and Bullseye is the closest thing I've found to what I enjoy doing.  That got me wondering if I'm here in this forum for the wrong reason.  My answers to questions don't "fit" with what should be the proper answer, such as "goals".  I'm never going to win a championship, and "winning" has nothing to do with why I enjoy Bullseye.  Heck, I can shoot with some people I know, and they tell me how good I am, and I can see what really good shooters do, and realize I'm down in the gutter.  None of that bothers me though, as I shoot because I enjoy shooting, I enjoy working on guns, I enjoy reloading, and the people here (and in TheFiringLine forum) are fascinating and interesting people to discuss shooting with.

That, and the book, got me wondering why everyone else is here.  Maybe others would feel that what I want/like is boring, and it all leads up to WINNING a Bullseye Competition.  Maybe others just enjoy the conversation about their hobby.  Maybe some people here really DO want to become a champion, and getting help from other champions is so useful.

If I'm doing this right, a poll should appear in this thread.  I'm curious if others are here for the same reason as I am, or ???   It's multiple choice - select whichever choices you feel are applicable to you.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Empty Re: Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum

Post by mikemyers 2/13/2020, 1:32 pm

Oh, and feel free to explain how you feel as a reply, in addition to doing the poll.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum Empty Re: Poll about why people participate in the Bullseye Forum

Post by SonOfAGun 2/13/2020, 2:00 pm

mikemyers wrote:... I shoot because I enjoy shooting...

That sounds like winning to me.
SonOfAGun
SonOfAGun

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 2/13/2020, 2:09 pm

I'm here to improve my shooting, and my main interest is in the "Fundamentals" forum.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/13/2020, 2:31 pm

I voted but selected everything but other lol. This is a great place to help, get help, buy, sell, share info and BS.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 2/13/2020, 3:11 pm

mikemyers wrote:I'm never going to win a championship, and "winning" has nothing to do with why I enjoy Bullseye.  

Mike you ask so many questions about improving your shooting and completely miss the point the book makes about the process (both physical and mental) you need to follow to make that happen.  Heck "Winning" might only mean getting to the range every Thursday or putting all the shots in the black, or when you start out maybe it's just getting all shots on "on paper" or in the scoring rings.  The book if you follow it makes that journey less frustrating, it even explains why people get frustrated.  Yes Lanny wrote the book on his experience during his journey (to win a Gold Medal) but what he learned in goal setting and Mental Management applies to whatever your goals are, even if it's losing weight, quitting smoking, getting an A on a test - all examples he makes. 
- Dave

This site is a community, of shooters that have questions on every aspect of bullseye all pretty much defined by the different forum titles.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 2/13/2020, 3:32 pm

zanemoseley wrote:I voted but selected everything but other lol. This is a great place to help, get help, buy, sell, share info and BS.
You are not the only one!
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/13/2020, 6:32 pm

dronning wrote:
mikemyers wrote:I'm never going to win a championship, and "winning" has nothing to do with why I enjoy Bullseye.  

Mike you ask so many questions about improving your shooting and completely miss the point the book makes about the process (both physical and mental) you need to follow to make that happen.  Heck "Winning" might only mean getting to the range every Thursday or putting all the shots in the black, or when you start out maybe it's just getting all shots on "on paper" or in the scoring rings.  The book if you follow it makes that journey less frustrating, it even explains why people get frustrated.  Yes Lanny wrote the book on his experience during his journey (to win a Gold Medal) but what he learned in goal setting and Mental Management applies to whatever your goals are, even if it's losing weight, quitting smoking, getting an A on a test - all examples he makes. 
- Dave

This site is a community, of shooters that have questions on every aspect of bullseye all pretty much defined by the different forum titles.
Dave, the advice I receive in these forums about how to _____ better are worth their weight in gold.  The mental stuff in that book has nothing to do with me, not to mention I think he is wrong.  For someone else, that book might be fascinating, and useful, but where my mind is at, I am more involved in creating perfect and beautiful photographs, with a Leica rangefinder camera.  No place in his book does he suggest "how" to do things; it's all about how to think about, or how he thinks I should think about, shooting.  The improvements I have made are mostly due to feedback from people here, even those who have gotten frustrated with me.  As far as I'm concerned, to ME, "winning" means getting the top score in a competition.  I have other names for for things like "all shots in the black".  I know if I keep at it, I'll get all my shots in the black USING ONE HAND.  I have already gotten there with two hands.  To me, it means constant and continuous dry-fire, and practice at the range.  Yes, the stuff at the end of the book about losing weight, quitting smoking, getting an A, all sound reasonable to me, but that's the easy part.  The hard part is working at it, and DOING the right stuff.

I don't agree with ignoring one's mistakes.  I always try to figure out WHY it is I made a mistake.  In radio control car racing, you stop your nitro car after five minutes for more fuel, and your tires continuously wear down - if they wear more than a certain amount, the car no longer handles well. You can start with any size tires you want, but if you select too large a tire size, the car won't handle well.  By analyzing those things, and realizing what I did wrong in setup, I was able to get my car to last the full 45 minute race, without tire problems and without running out of fuel.  There's a lot of work that goes into being able to "win", including running at your own pace.  Those racers who start out at a blistering pace often break, or crash, and are soon out of contention.  Those who start a 45 minute race, planning to be in the lead at the END of the race, have a big advantage.  Back to shooting, even if all of you guys think it's nuts, I would like to know what I did wrong, so I can avoid it in the future.

The last thing you wrote is SO true.  Most of the things I ask for help with, are things that I'm doing wrong, trying to find out how to do them better, such as reloading.  I was making mistakes that I didn't realize were mistakes, until someone here pointed it out I a photo I posted.  

The first place I go to on the internet, when I turn on my computer is mail.  The second, is this forum.  Actually, I think I post too much here.  It's enjoyable for me to read all the on-line discussions, on helping people do better.  The book may be worthless to me, but the Bullseye Forum is a Gold Mine!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 2/13/2020, 8:12 pm

I came and stayed here because it provides a wealth of information for serious shooters without all of the BS that has infected other sites.  That's a major plus for me.

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by Stork 2/13/2020, 9:02 pm

mikemyers wrote:The first place I go to on the internet, when I turn on my computer is mail.  The second, is this forum.  Actually, I think I post too much here.  It's enjoyable for me to read all the on-line discussions, on helping people do better.  The book may be worthless to me, but the Bullseye Forum is a Gold Mine!

Mike, I've been hanging out here on and off for only a year or so, and I've learned a ton from the questions you ask. Some of your questions bring out the really in depth and great responses from the high masters around here. Keep asking so I can keep reading and learning. This falls under that idea in school that if you have a question, someone else also has that same question.

Stork

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 2/14/2020, 12:19 am

As much snark and shade that I throw, I participate here to give back as much of the knowledge that's been given to me - for free! - over the last 30+ years as possible.

I don't normally answer PMs from people asking for help privately on X or Y. I prefer to share what little knowledge that I have publicly, therefore I add contributions to threads on X or Y.

My "day job" is as a software developer, and I've been contributing to open-source software for a number of years.

Shooting is no different. I'm happy to share what I've learned in the hopes that it will help someone else.

Yep, that sharing is going to include my opinions, biases, and attitude.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/14/2020, 6:38 am

(John, sorry - after reading what you wrote, I should have added "to help others" to my poll questions.)

You, and several others, allow "the rest of us" to learn thing without having to re-invent the wheel.  I find it fascinating when I read some "silly" comment, which after thinking about it and asking for advice, I find to be anything BUT silly.  Even when I "know" it's not going to work, I try things, and in just about every case I've done so, I find out something I never realized before.  Oh, and the "opinions, biases, and attitude" make the reading so much more enjoyable!  .....like a real conversation, not like reading a text book.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 2/14/2020, 7:34 am

Why do I try to participate in this forum?  The main reason is to continue to learn and to try and pay forward to others what I, so innocently and ignorantly, received from some of the best bullseye shooters and bullseye competitors when i joined the original "bulletin board" and email list so very many years ago.  (And there is a difference between being a great bullseye shooter or bullseye competitor.)  There was lots of participation by some of the best thinking and talented shooters and gunsmiths on the planet. From Marksmen to High Masters to brilliant and quirky gun builders and machinists,  we had a new way to talk and learn outside of having to go to a match.

At matches and by their words I learned the difference between a great bullseye shooter and a great bullseye competitor.   I still try to be more of the former,  although i occasionally fail to live up to their gentlemanly standard.

As a matter of fact, I also learned there is a difference between "thinking" and having a "thought".  There is a difference between "competing" and "winning a competition".  There is a difference between "learning" and "learning how to learn".  

As for trying to learn from mistakes,  some people seem to to confuse reacting to external input/ situations versus training to develop internally driven performace.  One deserves analysis of the issue, the other deserves learning how to repeat the correct process consistently in the least amount of time.

And it seems to me that better notes on the external issues (mistakes in preparation, planning, equipment, etc.), like using  a journal will enable one to be more proactive in preparing for those situations.  Review notes on sight setting for that range before starting the match.  (Remember the correct thing to do rather than learning it all over again by remembering the mistake.)

Just a couple of thoughts outside of the fact i generally don't like polls.

Y'all have fun, and thanks for reminding me to actually think rather than just having a thought.  And thank you all.

CR

Last edited by CR10X on 2/14/2020, 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 2/14/2020, 9:13 am

Cecil, you are right on again, for my personal observation. I think, when I get help from the forum and apply it to my training regiment. Competing, I love it, if I can execute the fundamentals great I'm actually Winning no matter what the score is. When I thought I shot a decent match, it makes feel me good about myself and that gives me a positive attitude. 
 I read this forum at least once a day or if busy twice a week. I might not agree with everybody's input, just the same as what I put out too I wouldn't expect it. I'll read every post just the same you never know I might learn something I never knew before.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 2/14/2020, 2:08 pm

This BE forum and the previous email list helped me to boil down my shot to "See-Press".   Back when LtC Miller did my thinking for me it was easy.  Later without coach, my thinking came out and screwed everything all up. 

In long hand "See your process developing your sight picture while pressing the trigger"  Works for me.  Now I need a new body, time, and 3 years of practice to get back there.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by oso 2/14/2020, 2:42 pm

I like the forum, I do a lot more reading than posting. I am new to bullseye, I have been practicing both .45 and rimfire for a little over a year and a half. It is a new discipline for me, I used to shoot a lot of Trap, Skeet, Sporting clays and then Precision Rifle. I don't have the time to get to the outdoor ranges to often so Bullseye peaked my interest as I can practice weekly at my indoor range.

I have not competed/shot a match yet but very much want to. I live so close to so many matches that many of you travel long distances to come to. So hopefully this summer I will shoot a match, it would be nice to have some guidance on how to go through the match. I live in N.E. Ohio
oso
oso

https://www.pistolboxpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/14/2020, 4:44 pm

oso wrote:.............. it would be nice to have some guidance on how to go through the match......
One good place to find the guidance is from Tony's Bullseye Blog:
http://tonybrong.blogspot.com

There's a ton of information there that I think you would find very helpful.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down