Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LES BAER PISTOLS

+4
Darrell Cox
dronning
dapduh2
minelabbob
8 posters

Go down

LES BAER PISTOLS Empty LES BAER PISTOLS

Post by minelabbob 2/15/2020, 5:59 am

how do the barrels hold up after many rounds.  what is your go to load and, the $100 dollar question

would you buy another.

bob LES BAER PISTOLS 1883569342

minelabbob

Back to top Go down

LES BAER PISTOLS Empty Re: LES BAER PISTOLS

Post by dapduh2 2/15/2020, 1:34 pm

I had one. Premiere II with 1.5 inch guarantee. At the time it was the greatest thing I ever owned. It got me started in bullseye. But once I got an accurized Springfield Range Officer things came together for me. The Les Baer is an amazing piece but I don’t think it was made with bullseye in mind. The trigger was terrible too. For the money I think you can do better of your intent for it is bullseye.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 2/15/2020, 1:48 pm

I have 4 LB guns (WAD, BALL & 2 Premier II's).  After I had KC build a 45 and a 9MM/38 Super (two barrels) I haven't shot any of them.  I shot my 1st clean target with the LB but it doesn't come close the the KC built guns.
- Dave

ps Don't ask me if I want to sell any of them - I don't sell any guns.  I had to replace a Marvel conversion I sold because it bugged me there was and empty spot in my safe.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by minelabbob 2/15/2020, 3:09 pm

HI DAVE
             my les has the 1.5 guarantee also in the 9mm. I took care of the 4lb.
trigger rite off. 3.5 now . its early in the game to say YA/NAY craftsmanship
could be better. still in the test stage with my loads . so far so good! as for
a bullseye gun I would agree with you . close but no cigar . one day I had
a good group going like 3/4 in. @ 25 yd. during one of my test but, my red dot got  loose and killed my group. so I know it will shoot! a lot of my test
are done @ 50yd. and my best to date was 2in. rested on sand bag. now
in a solid rest that could have been 1.5 or better. maybe?

minelabbob

Back to top Go down

Post by Darrell Cox 3/6/2020, 10:01 am

I have one, their bullseye gun. I moved the optic mount to the slide. I shot about 80,000 rounds (200gr 3.8gr bullseye) and the barrel broke. Both sides of lug broke where the slide stop rides. I found that the barrel was a bind fit. It worked and was accurate. I called Kart and ordered another barrel and fit it. Baer uses Kart barrels. Back in business, shoots 2” 50yds.

Darrell Cox

Back to top Go down

Post by minelabbob 3/6/2020, 11:15 am

hi Darrell
               80,000 wo! well what can you say. glade to see you up and shooting. now lets see
if you can get 100.000 with the next barrel. every thing else on the gun I guess is ok. I will take
80,000 any day. I think any gun with that kind of round count would be ready to brake. or
something.  them bullets are HP OR FP you are using and your oal 1,200

thanks for the info    bob

minelabbob

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 3/6/2020, 1:52 pm

I’ve seen brand new LB pistols that I’ve told the owner to return because the bottom lugs were over cut and too thin; LB rebarreled the pistols. They probably would have sheared in less than 1k rounds. I’ve seen them with 0.010” of slide stop contact and lugs cut (filed) at extreme angle offer no lockup. The majority are pitiful. I did see one recently that was pretty good, but it’s not the norm in my experience. I will say they make great base guns for a build lol.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

LES BAER PISTOLS Empty Les Baer Pistols

Post by Roddy Toyota 3/7/2020, 12:44 pm

My thoughts are unless you are at least a Master classified bullseye shooter, a Springfield Armory RO with minimal of work is a quicker and much less expensive way to go.  Basically the Les Baer pistols are okay, but they will need proper trigger work if you're shooting precision pistol.  Also, the fitting is done in a way that will cost them the least amount of bench time.  Time is money.  For example I've seen many Baer's that had ground/sanded  diameters of the slide lock to fit the barrel lock up; rather than the proper "hard fit" of the slide stop and barrel lugs.  Too many shooters buy a Baer solely on the advertised 1.5" groups.  A properly set up SRO will cost $1,000 less and will get the shooter to High Master if the shooter does his/her part.

Cheers,
Roddy
Roddy Toyota
Roddy Toyota

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 3/7/2020, 6:27 pm

Roddy Toyota wrote: For example I've seen many Baer's that had ground/sanded  diameters of the slide lock to fit the barrel lock up; rather than the proper "hard fit" of the slide stop and barrel lugs. 
Roddy

That's how mine is. I thought it was wear and the reason the gun was loosening up. Bought a new pin and the gun wouldn't close at all. On closer examination ...

I'm in no way, and most likely never will be, any thing even resembling a 1911 smith. But even *I* know that's not the way it's properly done.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by minelabbob 3/8/2020, 8:04 am

its a shame ! quality control out the window. and for what, save an hour.
even my new BAER sloppy work. it will be my last gun I get from them.

minelabbob

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 3/8/2020, 10:23 am

minelabbob wrote:its a shame ! quality control out the window. and for what, save an hour.
even my new BAER sloppy work. it will be my last gun I get from them.

As stated above I have 4 LBs, what I didn't say was 1 right out of the box couldn't hold the black at 25 yds.  Even with a new barrel bushing and re-crowning the barrel it would barely hold the black at 50.  It's now the lower for my 22 conversion, but with a KC fire control group.  Maybe someday I'll send it out and have it redone.  The other 3 were pretty good - after I replace the triggers with KC's roll trigger kits.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by minelabbob 3/8/2020, 1:05 pm

I am glad to here 3 out of 4 are ok. makes me mad when I see or here
of poor craftsmanship! ok it can happen but, I think they are pumping
out to many guns trying to keep up on orders, and Q.C. out the window.

minelabbob

Back to top Go down

Post by lonegunman 3/15/2020, 10:28 pm

If it has a Kart barrel, the barrel itself should last a very long time.  I have a Marvel wadgun with almost 30,000 documented rounds thru it.  The barrel is fine and the accuracy is still X-ring at 25yds.

The extractor, disconnector and sear have worn out and/or broken.  I'm guessing since Les Baer uses parts from the same makers the breakage rates are about the same.  There are other builders out there at these prices, so Les is not the only option.
lonegunman
lonegunman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down