Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Match grade primers

+3
SteveT
Al
tierney
7 posters

Go down

Match grade primers Empty Match grade primers

Post by tierney 3/27/2020, 9:08 am

With the current panic causing shortages on ammo and reloading supplies including primers, one of the few items available are match grade large pistol primers.
Has anyone done machine rest testing at 50 yards to determine if the added expense of these primers justify buying them?

tierney

Back to top Go down

Match grade primers Empty Re: Match grade primers

Post by Al 3/27/2020, 11:18 am

Yes, I did one short Ransom test comparison. I saw no statistical difference in my wad guns. Others may have had different results, but not in my case.
Allen

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 3/27/2020, 12:29 pm

I tested match grade vs regular primers once, I think 3 string of 10 each but i can't find the results. I didn't see any significant difference between them.

I did see a small but statistically significant increase in velocity and decrease in SD when using rifle primers vs pistol primers, but that is not recommended since SAAMI dimension limits allows rifle primers to be taller than minimum primer pocket depth for pistol primers IIRC. Most primers are less than the limit and most pockets are deeper than minimum, but it could happen and still be in spec resulting in a slam-fire. For that test I felt each cartridge to make sure the primers were lower than the base.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 3/27/2020, 2:03 pm

Greetings,

Interesting comment on the rifle primers...

Doc Young used to experiment with small rifle primers in his 32 S&W Long reloads. Sadly, he moved away and I cannot glean any data from him.

I did, however, test various small primers one day and found that the average velocity was consistent among several small pistol, small pistol magnum, and small rifle bench rest primers.

One exception!!!!

Winchester small pistol magnum primers increased the average velocity 30 FPS. The group was not that exciting.

Ah-ha... Found the test targets...

Match grade primers Cci_br10
Match grade primers Cci_sp10
Match grade primers Fed10010
Match grade primers Fed20510
Match grade primers Rp_sp10
Match grade primers Rp_spm10
Match grade primers Wsp10
Match grade primers Wspm10
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 3/28/2020, 10:45 am

I can see the difference in rifle, but not pistol.

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans 3/28/2020, 7:56 pm

SteveT wrote:I tested match grade vs regular primers once, I think 3 string of 10 each but i can't find the results. I didn't see any significant difference between them.

I did see a small but statistically significant increase in velocity and decrease in SD when using rifle primers vs pistol primers, but that is not recommended since SAAMI dimension limits allows rifle primers to be taller than minimum primer pocket depth for pistol primers IIRC. Most primers are less than the limit and most pockets are deeper than minimum, but it could happen and still be in spec resulting in a slam-fire. For that test I felt each cartridge to make sure the primers were lower than the base.
FWIW, in the USPSA/IPSC world, using rifle primers instead of small pistol primers is common on high pressure 9mm and .38 super loads because the cups are thicker and less likely to melt and flow into firing pin holes.  Never saw or heard of anyone having a slam fire, though most folks were using 1911s, Glocks, or CZs.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by tierney 3/28/2020, 8:08 pm

I did try Fed large pistol magnum primers in a 45 1911 with kart bbl a few years ago.  The load was 4.6g of 700x with Nosler 185 JHP and Starline brass. Machine rest group went from a 2" group with
WLP to a group that would'nt hold a pie plate at 50 with the magnum primers. 700x does not meter well through my Star machine and I was looking for work arounds. Have since switched to 5.8 of 231 at 50 with WLP, 185 JHP 1.2 OAL and .469 crimp.

tierney

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 3/28/2020, 8:52 pm

Match grade primers Ddb39e10
From this snapshot from SAAMI specs, the pocket dimensions for SMALL primers are identical between rifle and pistol.  LARGE primers have a difference.  I know that Speer recommends pisto, primers in the 22Hornet cartridge ( even for rifles) to get better accuracy.  As always be safe.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 3/29/2020, 8:01 am

I just bought 10,000 Remington SR primers.  I cant tell the difference from SP even with the crony.

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down