Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bomar Tuner question

5 posters

Go down

Bomar Tuner question Empty Bomar Tuner question

Post by Cazmont 4/3/2020, 5:26 pm

Just picked up a '68 Clark Long Heavy Slide .45. Tight as a tick and smooth as silk! Haven't had a chance to get to the range yet but have a question about the necessity for the tuner in the full length tuner rib. The tuner is missing on this one. I understand it is there to put pressure on the barrel hood to assure consistent positioning of the barrel from shot to shot. I think this would be useful if the link allowed some play after lock up but this is not the case with this pistol. The tolerance is difficult to notice. 
I don't know anything about the pistol's history so don't know why the tuner was removed. Hopefully as it wasn't needed but why then have it? Chances are my lack of experience with this system is causing me to overlook some detail.
Any thoughts?
Cazmont
Cazmont

Back to top Go down

Bomar Tuner question Empty Re: Bomar Tuner question

Post by Jon Eulette 4/3/2020, 6:02 pm

When slide is in battery does barrel have vertical play at the chamber? What is barrel brand; Colt, Kart, etc? Pic?
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Cazmont 4/3/2020, 11:38 pm

Hi Jon     No noticeable play in battery and to check the link lock up I removed the slide with barrel installed and checked if I could force the barrel up any higher than the link was pushing it when in battery. There must be some tolerance but the barrel to slide fit is so good I couldn't see it. As you can see in the pictures the barrel is marked "Clark .45 ACP."

My guess is that the previous owner removed the tuner as it served no purpose...wouldn't that be great. However I'm not familiar with the tuner system so am curious to know if there's something else going on.
Attachments
Bomar Tuner question Attachment
IMG_1022 (3).JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(110 Kb) Downloaded 6 times
IMG_1025 (5).JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(126 Kb) Downloaded 4 times
IMG_1022.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(132 Kb) Downloaded 3 times
IMG_1025.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(86 Kb) Downloaded 9 times
IMG_1026.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(145 Kb) Downloaded 3 times
Cazmont
Cazmont

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 4/3/2020, 11:42 pm

Clark barrels weren’t made until the mid 1980’s I believe. I would guess your pistol was rebarreled with the Clark barrel and the tuner was removed because it was no longer needed with the fitting of oversized match barrel. Thanks for sharing.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Cazmont 4/3/2020, 11:55 pm

That sure makes sense. I was wondering why the thumb safety and slide lock were newish but very well fit. And the barrel does look pretty fresh for 1968. The magazine release works  poorly with all my magazines as well as the one that came with it. Not a problem...it'll work well soon.
Wish I had the doc's and history with this one but you've cleared up most of the mystery. Not a collector but should be a good shooter. Thanks!
Cazmont
Cazmont

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 4/3/2020, 11:56 pm

Clark May have records and might be able to fill you in on it’s history.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cazmont 4/4/2020, 12:03 am

I'll ask when I order a scope rail from them. Good suggestion.
Cazmont
Cazmont

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 4/4/2020, 8:39 am

When I sent my Clark Heavy Slide in for a new Kart barrel and bushing, to replace the Colt, Clark Custom left the accuracy tuner in place. I'm pretty sure that it isn't necessary now, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. Mine also has the "slide guide".
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Cazmont 4/4/2020, 9:05 am

It crossed my mind that it perhaps was possible to reduce the tension so as not to effect the lockup and you'd have the tuner as a filler to avoid the opening with two empty threaded holes exposed on the top of the slide....awkward. It might even smooth out a little recoil?
Cazmont
Cazmont

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 4/5/2020, 6:53 am

I still remember the original Joe Chambers telling me that the tuner on the Bomar rib was not  used on a properly built gun.  Sure do miss him...

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down