Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Toz 35M got vandalized!

2 posters

Go down

My Toz 35M got vandalized! Empty My Toz 35M got vandalized!

Post by CraigB5940 Fri 24 Apr 2020, 6:22 pm

My Toz 35M got vandalized! 20200410
My Toz 35M got vandalized! 20200411With the Governor's stay at home order allowing me to catch up on all my reloading but no matches to expend the ammo up, I decided to fire up the mill and vandalize my Toz and mount a 3 Moa Scorpion Red Dot. I have the good fortune to be able to get to our clubs range and test my experiment if it does not rain tomorrow. I've always wondered what it could do if my old eyes and iron sights got taken out of the equation. I'm now a fugitive from the ISSF match police for my act of vandalism!

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

My Toz 35M got vandalized! Empty Re: My Toz 35M got vandalized!

Post by Guest Fri 24 Apr 2020, 7:11 pm

Interesting - I went in completely the opposite direction.
I bought a Hammerli 120 (poor mans Hammerli "free" pistol) a couple of years back for purely nostalgic reasons. At that time I was not using serious glasses - couldn't see the iron sights at all. So I found a cheap reflex type red dot with a narrow mount that fitted right on the receiver groove. Only went back to the iron sights in February 2020 in order to shoot in the Free Pistol Sectional (with a +0.5 lens and a diopter on my glasses).

Whatever works!
My Toz 35M got vandalized! 120_p110
My Toz 35M got vandalized! 120_p211

Back to top Go down

My Toz 35M got vandalized! Empty how did you do it

Post by r.tornello Sat 25 Apr 2020, 7:55 am

My eyes are very bad and I use red dots or scopes. I've just purchased a TOZ and have been thinking about this. the 2 holes on the back look perfect for mating a scope base to. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick Tornello
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB5940 Sat 25 Apr 2020, 10:12 am

Rich,

That's exactly how I did it, I used two 1/4 inch T-10 6-48 oval head screws and tapped the scope base stock same as the Toz rear sight spacing. I have a mill so I milled a slot in the base .065 deep mate with the top of the tang for positive alignment but that probably is not necessary. I have the hole spacing measured if you are interested, that could make it easier if you are going to layout one using a drill press and punches. I used blank weaver base stock I got as drops from EGW but you can find lots of flat based Picatinny and Weaver base stock at Brownells and other outlets. The Weaver/Picatinny base that comes with the Venom is just the right size to mate up with a base made as long as the tang but I bet the other reflex sights may work too, I had one on My Sig P210-A and the Weaver/Picatinny base was not used on the Sig so that's how I got the idea.

For some reason I can do reasonably well with the irons my Morini CM 162 EI air pistol with Knobloch shooting glasses with a + lens and a diopter but the I can't translate the same degree of proficiency to the Toz irons. I'm off to the range to test my grand experiment today!

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by r.tornello Sat 25 Apr 2020, 10:21 am

if you could send the spacing that would help. Your data is welcomed.
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Apr 2020, 10:43 am

It happens that I went through a phase of fitting Vortex Venom red dots to most of my handguns a few years ago. I bought lots of the mounts which replace the standard dovetail fit rear sight on 1911's, etc. When I got into Bullseye I discovered that the Venom's didn't suit my eyes and so I switched to Ultradot's and sold the VV's. But I still have several of the mounts.
Rather than drilling and mounting a length of weaver/picatinney rail and then using the intermediate mount that comes with the VV, another option is to create a flat plate which is attached with screws on to the TOZ receiver and, in turn, the VV screws on to the plate. Need to drill/tap the plate to receive the screws through the VV.
Here is one that I made by cutting down one of the standard intermediate VV mounts (for a 22 like the TOZ I would say that the locating pins are probably not necessary):-
My Toz 35M got vandalized! Toz_110
My Toz 35M got vandalized! Toz_210
My Toz 35M got vandalized! Toz_310

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB5940 Sat 25 Apr 2020, 10:53 am

Yes you can always drill the plate too, I wanted to leave my weaver/picatinny plate alone, there is a very good chance I will be swapping this unit to my other plinking handguns that have weaver or Picatinny bases, it's easy to get the dot sighted close with my laser bore sighted in the shop and dial in the final settings in only 3-5 shots at the range, this if form my second tier non competition guns.

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by r.tornello Sat 25 Apr 2020, 11:14 am

Thanks will use this info and very much appreciated.

RT
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

Post by r.tornello Sat 25 Apr 2020, 11:23 am

I'll be using one of the Docter sights I have and getting a blank base to attach to the TOZ and the sight as you have in the 1st set of photos. I don't intend to compete.

I just enjoy shooting and one shot at a time is a Zen meditation for me. I do the same with a Surgeon 591 single shot 223 rifle on an A5 chassis and a bartilen heavy barrel 7:1. It was made just for that. And I like precision. I have a Night Force Competition 55 power scopeĀ  sitting on top and on a very good day these 70 year old eyes can group 10 shots in 1/4 inch C-2-C at 100 yards, On a GOOD day. I'm legally blind w/o glasses, not fun!
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

My Toz 35M got vandalized! Empty looking at your work

Post by r.tornello Tue 28 Apr 2020, 8:51 pm

This is nice work too.
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum