Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is black masking tape acceptable in lieu of pasters?

+8
Dr.Don
Al
Wobbley
James Hensler
bdrake
STEVE SAMELAK
CR10X
CO1Mtn
12 posters

Go down

Is black masking tape acceptable in lieu of pasters? Empty Is black masking tape acceptable in lieu of pasters?

Post by CO1Mtn Mon May 25, 2020 11:19 am

Yesterday I needed some target pasters but could not find them at the sporting goods section in Walmart. But I did find black masking tape in the arts and crafts section. It was $2.50 for a 1"x60' roll, so I bought some. It sticks to targets well. I can tear off any size I want. I am now using white and black masking tape instead of buying pasters. I like how the rolls of masking tape don't tend to unreel themselves and spiral around like a slinky as the paster rolls do. I also calculated that the black masking tape is 3.3 times more economical. The white masking tape is 39 times more economical. 

I think that for informal matches in which we re-use targets and paste over them, the masking tape would work well. I would hope using masking tape is acceptable at high power rifle matches, in situations that require pasting, such as when I'm working in the pit, pasting over my partner's holes. It holds just as well as pasters, and it tears off the roll easily. I can tear off some squares before I need them to be ready.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Is black masking tape acceptable in lieu of pasters? Empty Re: Is black masking tape acceptable in lieu of pasters?

Post by CR10X Mon May 25, 2020 1:23 pm

For pistol matches, masking tape (cream colored) or regular pasters are generally used outside the repair center.  The repair center for pistol targets covers the complete black so no (black) pasters are needed.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Is black masking tape acceptable in lieu of pasters? Empty Re: Is black masking tape acceptable in lieu of pasters?

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Mon May 25, 2020 4:46 pm

If it's an informal match, you can do what ever everyone present agrees on.
If you're the one doing the work, then you do is best for you and the first complainer is the next cook.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by bdrake Mon May 25, 2020 4:55 pm

I've been using masking tape for years as target pasters.  When I hit the black, I just color the tape with a black sharpie marker.  So I say for practice, do what you wish.

bdrake

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler Mon May 25, 2020 6:02 pm

You can buy a years worth of targets for 50 bucks shipped from USA Targets or Targets USA I never get it right! Lol
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon May 25, 2020 6:46 pm

I never saw the benefit of using pasters in pistol.

In matches you swap out the center and tape up the errant holes or even just swap out a target.

For practice I put up a full target then swap out centers after 20-30 shots. If I’m training i put up a collection of 4-6 centers and work those. After 10-15 shots per center I need a target break anyways.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Tue May 26, 2020 10:52 am

CO1Mtn wrote: I like how the rolls of masking tape don't tend to unreel themselves and spiral around like a slinky as the paster rolls do. I also calculated that the black masking tape is 3.3 times more economical. The white masking tape is 39 times more economical. 

I think that for informal matches in which we re-use targets and paste over them, the masking tape would work well. I would hope using masking tape is acceptable at high power rifle matches, in situations that require pasting, such as when I'm working in the pit, pasting over my partner's holes. It holds just as well as pasters, and it tears off the roll easily. I can tear off some squares before I need them to be ready.
Used paster's for quite a few years with the same irritations. Still have a half dozen rolls left, but I switched over to masking tape a few years back. I'd never go back.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don Tue May 26, 2020 10:59 am

I remember my very first 45 match at a range in Duarte, CA in 1980.  After watching my activity with pasters, the match director had me use a new full face target at every target change.  A bit embarrassing but it speeded things up a bit.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet Tue May 26, 2020 1:31 pm

I used so much masking tape my first few years I should have been sponsored by 3M
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Tue May 26, 2020 3:28 pm

It's always fun watching bullseye shooters trying to weave a 50 yard target out of masking tape...... Laughing

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Tue May 26, 2020 3:43 pm

I just made up these repair targets to speed up the taping for my first few matches.

Is black masking tape acceptable in lieu of pasters? Al59AV2
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Tue May 26, 2020 3:49 pm

I've been known to end up doubling the weight of the target backer with pasters.
Sometimes I'll throw a few off completely to give the repair guy a break.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Tue May 26, 2020 4:56 pm

STEVE SAMELAK wrote:I've been known to end up doubling the weight of the target backer with pasters.
Sometimes I'll throw a few off completely to give the repair guy a break.
Way to go Steve!
Not many would be so kind and considerate.
You are indeed a gem amongst riverstones.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler Tue May 26, 2020 5:11 pm

Hit black and you don’t need the white ones! Lol
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Tue May 26, 2020 5:18 pm

Throw them far enough out and you don't need staples or repair centers.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Tue May 26, 2020 7:50 pm

Greetings,

The 25 Meter International Rapid Fire/Center Fire Duel target has a 24" diameter black.

Black tape was very common for repairs.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Is black masking tape acceptable in lieu of pasters? Empty pasters

Post by whitez06 Wed May 27, 2020 4:16 pm

At our club we tell the shooters that if you need more than 3 or 4 pasters, put a full face on. 4 or 6 staples and your done. masking tape, and other inventions for repairs only slow the line down, additionally if it rains the repairs can fall off. If that happens how do you score the shots. If a shooter is repairing 5,6, or 7 holes it just slows everything down. Use a full face (it's included in your match fee)

whitez06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down