Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colt Officers Model Match Hammer Spring Weight..?

3 posters

Go down

Colt Officers Model Match Hammer Spring Weight..? Empty Colt Officers Model Match Hammer Spring Weight..?

Post by Tim:H11 Thu May 28, 2020 9:34 pm

I have a Colt Officers Model Match made in 1961. The hammer spring seems very light to me. The single action trigger breaks a little under three pounds. I don't know if it's been adjusted or modified to be lighter.. CCI primers won't reliably pop but Winchester's have proven reliable. Not a single issue.

Does anyone else here have experience with a Colt OMM and if so - hows the hammer spring supposed to feel? Like I said mine is light. Actually, in comparison to my S&W Model 14 it's considerably lighter. I'm just wondering if I have something that's been tinkered with or not. This is the first OMM I've owned. Thanks
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Colt Officers Model Match Hammer Spring Weight..? Empty Re: Colt Officers Model Match Hammer Spring Weight..?

Post by Oleg G Fri May 29, 2020 6:51 am

Jason,

I have a much older Colt Officers Model, made in 1920s. When I bought this revolver, the trigger pull was very heavy - over 6 lbs in single action. I gave it to my gunsmith to work on and after cleaning the revolver and polishing the internals, he decreased the trigger pull to a very smooth 4 lbs. I don't believe that he had tinkered with the mainspring. Thus, yours may well have been worked on. Here is the link to a good resource on the Colt double-action revolvers triggers.

https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/CRTJ/crtj.html

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Colt Officers Model Match Hammer Spring Weight..? Empty Re: Colt Officers Model Match Hammer Spring Weight..?

Post by Dr.Don Fri May 29, 2020 8:15 am

Tim:H11,
I don't know the OMM or its springs, but it's a pretty well accepted notion that for "lightened" revolvers the most reliable (softest) primers are Federals.  I think the PPC guys on here will agree with that.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down