Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colt Officers Model Match Hammer Spring Weight..?

Go down

Colt Officers Model Match Hammer Spring Weight..? Empty Colt Officers Model Match Hammer Spring Weight..?

Post by Tim:H11 on Thu May 28, 2020 10:34 pm

I have a Colt Officers Model Match made in 1961. The hammer spring seems very light to me. The single action trigger breaks a little under three pounds. I don't know if it's been adjusted or modified to be lighter.. CCI primers won't reliably pop but Winchester's have proven reliable. Not a single issue.

Does anyone else here have experience with a Colt OMM and if so - hows the hammer spring supposed to feel? Like I said mine is light. Actually, in comparison to my S&W Model 14 it's considerably lighter. I'm just wondering if I have something that's been tinkered with or not. This is the first OMM I've owned. Thanks
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Colt Officers Model Match Hammer Spring Weight..? Empty Re: Colt Officers Model Match Hammer Spring Weight..?

Post by Oleg G on Fri May 29, 2020 7:51 am

Jason,

I have a much older Colt Officers Model, made in 1920s. When I bought this revolver, the trigger pull was very heavy - over 6 lbs in single action. I gave it to my gunsmith to work on and after cleaning the revolver and polishing the internals, he decreased the trigger pull to a very smooth 4 lbs. I don't believe that he had tinkered with the mainspring. Thus, yours may well have been worked on. Here is the link to a good resource on the Colt double-action revolvers triggers.

https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/CRTJ/crtj.html

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Colt Officers Model Match Hammer Spring Weight..? Empty Re: Colt Officers Model Match Hammer Spring Weight..?

Post by Dr.Don on Fri May 29, 2020 9:15 am

Tim:H11,
I don't know the OMM or its springs, but it's a pretty well accepted notion that for "lightened" revolvers the most reliable (softest) primers are Federals.  I think the PPC guys on here will agree with that.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum