Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

9mm fired cases

+2
STEVE SAMELAK
blindshooter
6 posters

Go down

9mm fired cases Empty 9mm fired cases

Post by blindshooter 6/9/2020, 3:14 pm

1911 SA RO 9mm
I've been working with this pistol for a while and must admit it's been a struggle. It's nearly stock, only trigger work. I don't have a lot of experience loading 9mm for accuracy so I thought I'd post here for some insight, going on the looks of the primers these loads appear to be fairly warm. These loads should be fairly mild? Hope the pic is useful.
TIA

Blazer cases
115gr HAP
4.4gr 231
CCI 400 (I know, rifle primer, use them because I have a boat load left over from high power)
1.12 OAL

RP cases
115gr HAP
4.7gr Unique
CCI400
1.12 OAL
Attachments
9mm fired cases Attachment
SARO1911 fired cases4.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(168 Kb) Downloaded 25 times

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

9mm fired cases Empty Re: 9mm fired cases

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 6/9/2020, 3:24 pm

My understanding was that small cases like 9MM had a tendency to spike pressure more quickly than large cases.
It may be that the rifle primers are igniting more quickly than is normal.
I also thought that rifle primers were "harder" than pistol primers so you may not be getting a true picture of the pressure.
What do they chrono at?
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter 6/9/2020, 3:38 pm

I actually shot these same loads with CCI small pistol and they look about the same. These same loads look more normal when fired in a couple of M&P 5inch guns.

Its almost impossible to set up my old chrono at the only range I have access to now. So no speed numbers.

The .45 is so easy. Don't know why I even fool with 9mm.

Thanks

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 6/9/2020, 5:35 pm

The primers are not showing really high pressure. The indent is small because the rifle primer is pushing the inertial pin back. Your primer radius is still un deformed.

According to Quickload 4.5 Unique gives Velocity of 1020 and a Pressure of 20000 And 5.0 gives 1120 at a pressure of 24800 both of these are with 115 FMJ.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AHI 6/9/2020, 6:09 pm

your primers are so hard that they are coming out of the case and beeing pushed back in by the breach.
3ed one down on left showes sign of leaking around outside of primer .this will eventualy eroade the brech 
around the firing pin hole. This is a light load its realy not makeing enough pressure to seal every thing.
9 mm is a little different than .45 acp . A slight incress in pressure and this problem will go away.

AHI

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 6/10/2020, 7:18 am

Interesting how the firing pin dimple appears to be in different positions on the primers as if the gun isn't locking up the same each shot. 

The firing pin diameter imay be too small for the hole in the breech . That would also allow the primer to extrude into the area between the firing pin and the hole in the breech face.

You might also see if there is a chamfer around the firing pin hole in the breech face.

I had one pistol I tried some loads in and was getting significant primer extrusion due to an excessive chamfer. The loads were way below max pressure.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter 6/10/2020, 10:40 am

DA SA, I did notice the fp strike is not consistent. The lock up seems good. Not as good as my fitted guns but not bad.
I need to check fp fit in slide.
I'll look at lock up and head space/OAL again with this load.
This may be my light bulb moment, this gun does have more vertical groups than horizontal.
Thanks for making me think. I'll post what I find.
Thanks all

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 6/11/2020, 8:00 am

This may be my light bulb moment,  this gun does have more vertical groups than horizontal.
Vertical groups may be an artifact of incomplete lockup; so I've been told by a few very knowledgeable folks in a post a couple years ago.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter 6/12/2020, 6:51 pm

Had a chance to measure the FP and FP hole fit.
The pin = .063 and the hole is .0665.
No chamfer or not much but not a sharp edge on the FP hole.
Upper lug engagement = .045 - .046
I believe the FP strike is just a bit low?
Hood to breech face is about .008 with barrel up and forced forward. Assembled without spring and pushing on the rear of the slide the stop pin is definitely in contact with the lower lug. Can't push the barrel down at all.
Bushing fit is good, not like a fitted gun but I can't detect any movement.
Slide to frame is very good for production gun.
Not so sure about headspace but the longest case stops just below the hood.
Loaded rounds plunk and twist fine, marked bullets show no contact with lead.

I haven't shot so much lately and didn't have my "good" glasses, my technique may be rusty causing the vertical, I should have took pics of target. 25yds rested vertical = 4in. H =2in.

I'll try to get pics of the round and the longest case in the barrel.
Attachments
SARO1911 barrelresized.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(83 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
SARO1911 barrel2resized.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(97 Kb) Downloaded 0 times

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down