Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Case Lube Question

Go down

Case Lube Question Empty Case Lube Question

Post by mikemyers on 7/20/2020, 9:49 pm

From the first time I ever reloaded, I was using RCBS everything, including their case lube.  My dies are now Redding, and while setting up the Redding 45 ACP dies after cleaning, I used RCBS Case Lube 2 and the lubrication pad.  Everything seemed to work well.  The only die that "struggled" at all was the taper crimp die.

Taking advice from this forum, I had ordered 300 cases of Starline brass.  I did the first 50 cases yesterday.  For lubrication I sprayed on Hornady One-Shot Case Lube, spraying from several different angles so everything would get lubed.  My impression is that it didn't work as well as the RCBS lube.

When I run the case into the crimp die, I hear a "scraping" sound which I assume is from the bell, and after the press has finished the stroke and starts to return, if feels like the case is somewhat "stuck" in place.  It quickly breaks free, and all is well.

I tested a few cases with RCBS Case Lube 2, and while I still had the same effect on the crimp die, it was reduced.  

The Hornady lube is very convenient, and I don't end up with greasy fingers.  I suspect the RCBS "grease" is more effective.  For the next 100 rounds, tomorrow, I think I'll switch back to Case Lube 2.  

Was wondering what you guys think, and what you use?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Case Lube Question Empty Re: Case Lube Question

Post by REConley on 7/20/2020, 9:54 pm

I have never ever used any case lube with 45 ACP cases. I have always used RCBS tungsten sizer die.
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on 7/21/2020, 6:55 am

Either I've been doing something wrong since 1980, or doesn't it make the press run more smoothly, even if it isn't needed?  Of course, back then I didn't have a carbide sizing die, and when I got one, I was already into the habit of using lube.  Nobody ever told me specifically to NOT use it.  

I guess the appropriate thing for me to do today, is to try loading without the lube, and see how it feels.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle on 7/21/2020, 7:52 am

A little case lube even with a carbide size die makes things just run smoother.  I place my cases in a plastic coffee can, spray them lightly, shake them around and let them sit for a minute before sizing.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK on 7/21/2020, 7:56 am

Besides going thru the press  smoother it makes it easier on my wrist & elbow if I give a shot of One Shot.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis on 7/21/2020, 9:35 am

I have very limited experience using case lube.  It isn't really necessary on straight wall pistol cases when using Carbide dies so I never used it.  I've loaded a small amount of rifle rounds in my life which need lube and for that I used RCBS lube on a pad.  Recently I have tried some of that One Shot spray lube for the pistol cases just to see if thing would run smoother.  My take away is that it does improve the cycling a little but the spray lube is not nearly as slick as the RCBS lube was. 
 Regardless of the lube you are using, I think would be gone by the time you hit the tamper crimp station.  The hiccup you feel going in might very well be the bell so maybe try adjusting that first.  You should also check the amount of crimp to make sure you aren't crimping it too tight.  If you are, maybe that is holding onto the shell longer than it should which gives you that feel as the loaded round is being pulled out of the die. 

Good luck.
John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike on 7/21/2020, 10:31 am

I always use case lube. I use either Lyman or Hornady spray. I spray it on an old t-shirt and dump in the cases. I pull up the corners of the shirt and "massage" the brass. The older I get, the easier I want things to be. Virgin brass is especially hard to size compared to even once fired brass. You didn't make it clear whether the brass was virgin Starline when using the two lubes and comparing.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 on 7/21/2020, 12:20 pm

Greetings,

Look closely at your finished taper crimped cartridge.

Do you see little scratches at the case mouth?

Brand new cases; or, cases washed extremely clean, tend to gall/chip weld to the die.

As routine maintenance, you may have to remove the taper crimp die and polish away the built up brass galling with 600 grit, or finer, abrasive paper and a lubricant, kerosene, WD40, Windex, etc.

The above issue also will show up on your expanding plug.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Al and Sa-tevp like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on 7/21/2020, 7:57 pm

John Dervis wrote:........Regardless of the lube you are using, I think would be gone by the time you hit the tamper crimp station.  The hiccup you feel going in might very well be the bell so maybe try adjusting that first.  You should also check the amount of crimp to make sure you aren't crimping it too tight......
With RCBS lube, the cases seem to stay "lubby" (is that a word?) forever.  The Hornady spray dries off.
Bell is adjusted in the Redding die exactly how the guys at Redding told me to do it - just enough bell so the lead bullet moves a small amount into the case.
Crimp is at 0.468 as instructed by both Terry Labbe and Dave Salyer.

The expansion die is unusual - it does a lot more than "belling".
The depth is adjusted until the "final taper" is large enough for the lead bullet to start to slide in, so it's centered, with no more bell than necessary.

Case Lube Question PremDieSetsForHandgunCartridgesExpander
It took forever to get things to come out looking right.
I completely lost my desire for a combination seating/crimping die - as a gazillion people in the forum had told me.
Not sure how I used it for all those years since 1980....   Now I know better.

Back to this thread - if I load the rounds right after spraying them, the Hornady lube seems to work OK.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum