Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advantage Arms Help - full auto fire

+6
TAB
PhotoEscape
james r chapman
Rotwang
Jon Eulette
So Cal X Ring
10 posters

Go down

Advantage Arms Help - full auto fire Empty Advantage Arms Help - full auto fire

Post by So Cal X Ring 8/14/2020, 6:36 pm

I have a new advantage arms 1911 22 lr conversion. Tried it out today with a standard 1911 lower. The pistol was going full auto and burst fire. I removed the mag and began loading one round at a time and when I would release the slide the pistol would fire (slamfire, no trigger needed). Any idea what is cause this type of slamfire?

So Cal X Ring

Back to top Go down

Advantage Arms Help - full auto fire Empty Re: Advantage Arms Help - full auto fire

Post by Jon Eulette 8/14/2020, 6:52 pm

Does trigger have over travel set up to limit trigger stroke or does trigger go way past firing/release of sear?
What is trigger pull weight? How much on disconnector?
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Advantage Arms Help - full auto fire Empty Re: Advantage Arms Help - full auto fire

Post by Rotwang 8/14/2020, 8:15 pm

Is the firing pin stuck sticking out of hole in the breechface?

Rotwang

Back to top Go down

Post by So Cal X Ring 8/14/2020, 8:19 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Does trigger have over travel set up to limit trigger stroke or does trigger go way past firing/release of sear?
What is trigger pull weight? How much on disconnector?
Jon

The trigger pull weight is 3.5 lbs.
Not sure how to measure the disconnected weight.
The trigger has an over travel screw, trigger does not have much over travel when I fire 45 acp.
To be clear, without a mag in the pistol, if I rack the slide back, lock it, load a round on the chamber, then drop the slide, the pistol fires (like a slam fire)..
I did not as i hand fed rounds that the chamber felt tight.

So Cal X Ring

Back to top Go down

Post by So Cal X Ring 8/14/2020, 8:20 pm

Rotwang wrote:Is the firing pin stuck sticking out of hole in the breechface?

That is what I was thinking
But the firing pin moves freely in the slide
No binding
Seems normal

So Cal X Ring

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotwang 8/14/2020, 9:11 pm

Then is the firing pin return spring strong enough to hold it back?  Or going the other way, can you tell if the hammer has followed and hit the firing pin or stayed back?

Rotwang

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/14/2020, 9:11 pm

Is the hammer following the slide forward, or is it firing when the slide chambers a round.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by So Cal X Ring 8/14/2020, 9:17 pm

james r chapman wrote:Is the hammer following the slide forward, or is it firing when the slide chambers a round.

The hammer is not following.
It is firing when the slide chambers the round.

So Cal X Ring

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 8/14/2020, 9:23 pm

Firing pin spring is a suspect.  I would load previously fired shell and try.  If there is second firing pin imprint that would confirm.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by So Cal X Ring 8/14/2020, 9:44 pm

PhotoEscape wrote:Firing pin spring is a suspect.  I would load previously fired shell and try.  If there is second firing pin imprint that would confirm.

AP

Very good idea
I'll do it and report back

So Cal X Ring

Back to top Go down

Post by So Cal X Ring 8/14/2020, 9:45 pm

PhotoEscape wrote:Firing pin spring is a suspect.  I would load previously fired shell and try.  If there is second firing pin imprint that would confirm.

AP

Very good idea
I'll do it and report back

So Cal X Ring

Back to top Go down

Post by So Cal X Ring 8/14/2020, 11:03 pm

So im a little confused
It may be Ammo related
I disassemble the upper, remove the firing pin, reassembled...I removed the bullet and powder from a few rounds...loaded them by hand onto the chamber, dropped the slide and the primer ignited....no firing pin on the pistol. It did this every time with Armscor ammo.
I pulled a few bullets from Federal Premium, I did the same test, primers did NOT ignite.
Any have issues with their advantage arms and ammo.

Btw removing the firing pin was a huge PITA!

So Cal X Ring

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/15/2020, 1:09 am

Well, look on the bright side - you are guaranteed to get 5 shots off within the allotted 20 or 10 seconds!😂🤣😂🤣

Back to top Go down

Post by TAB 8/15/2020, 1:24 am

Is headspace shallow or the Armscor rim thickness over spec?

With no firing pin in place, sounds like the breech face is making enough contact to ignite the primer.

TAB

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 8/15/2020, 7:13 am

radjag wrote:Well, look on the bright side - you are guaranteed to get 5 shots off within the allotted 20 or 10 seconds!😂🤣😂🤣
Is that the "advantage" in Advantage Arms?  Shocked
Kidding aside, don't some of the IZH-35M's suffer from this same issue with some ammo? Brrrrp....mag empty! Russian 22 ammo rim thickness is supposedly less than what we can commonly buy here in the US....or so is my understanding.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/15/2020, 8:49 am

Repeat with some CCI GECO or ELEY product.

If it doesn’t repeat, it’s probably the rim thickness.

Make sure there isn’t a dryfire burr on the barrel that’s doing it also
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Aprilian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing 8/15/2020, 10:46 pm

I’ll take it, pm sent!
Kidding, or maybe not...
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/16/2020, 8:24 am

At this point you should contact AA also about the issue.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 8/16/2020, 10:58 am

I suspect that it also may be the extractor. If extractor is tensioned too high, is over spec and at the samw time bullet is over spec, then the extractor may be acting as a firing pin. Maybe, possibly? As a last check try to take out the extractor.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 8/16/2020, 11:17 pm

Since you have the fired cases, you should be able to see where the rim got crushed.   That will lead you to the next step.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by So Cal X Ring 8/16/2020, 11:34 pm

I have some cases...i will photograph them in the coming week. I am also going to call AA tomorrow and pick their brain.
I will continue to update this thread in case anyone cares
Thank you for all the feedback and ideas....

So Cal X Ring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down