Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steel Sights in the 1950's - center hold vs sub-6 hold, and SA vs DA

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Steel Sights in the 1950's  -  center hold vs sub-6 hold, and SA vs DA - Page 2 Empty Steel Sights in the 1950's - center hold vs sub-6 hold, and SA vs DA

Post by mikemyers on Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

Back in "the good old days", did Bullseye shooters use a center hold, or a sub-6-o'clock hold?

Trying to align a black steel front sight and a black steel rear sight in front of a black bull seems to be what led shooters to use a 6 o'clock hold, but since that results in "point aiming", many people got better results with the sub-6-o'clock hold which is area aiming.

What did the better / best shooters do back in the day, when revolvers were still king?

Follow-up question - for those shooters, were they using the revolver in single action (takes longer, but good control), or double action (faster, but less precise?)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Steel Sights in the 1950's  -  center hold vs sub-6 hold, and SA vs DA - Page 2 Empty Re: Steel Sights in the 1950's - center hold vs sub-6 hold, and SA vs DA

Post by -TT- on Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:05 pm

Larry2520 wrote:The Marine manual says for 25 yards hold 6 and 50 hold center.

I'm intrigued by this. Is it because the 50yd sight picture is better, or because the military 45's have no elevation adjustment, so this naturally raises the POI?

-TT-

Back to top Go down

Steel Sights in the 1950's  -  center hold vs sub-6 hold, and SA vs DA - Page 2 Empty Re: Steel Sights in the 1950's - center hold vs sub-6 hold, and SA vs DA

Post by mikemyers on Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:11 pm

To me, the point was to go out to the range and experiment, and see what works best for me.  All my guns other than my Model 14 are put away.  I think I'll learn faster with the 38 than with my 22.  I've got three boxes of ammo, and another stack of targets, and I expect to shoot at a "slow fire" pace, and if all goes well, "timed fire".  I expect to start with two hands, and if I'm satisfied, go to one hand.  Distance will be 25 yards (I considered 15, for learning - I'll see how it goes.)

I see no point in attempting rapid fire, until I get decent at timed fire.

I've got a wide open mind.  Based on reading the book, my plans may change.  If the book indicates I'm doing something incorrectly, I'll note it and try what the book suggests.  

As to SA vs. DA, last night I started dry-firing DA.  While I wasn't happy with what I could do, round after round I got better.  I didn't give up on DA - but I figure if I get the motions right, speeding thins up will come with practice, as always.  

Original plan was to go today, Thursday, but the weather report was horrible.  If possible, I'll go tomorrow.  Tomorrow and the weekend are also likely to be nasty - if it's damp, I'll go, but if it rainy and stormy, I'll stay home.

What I expect to find, is that my sight alignment will still be better in front of white paper than the bull, as people here explained years ago, and I'll go with a sub-6-o'clock hold as I believe in area aiming, not point aiming.  I will continue to attempt to shoot the way Crazy Thunder has been teaching me, so if possible all my shots will "surprise" me.  I'm bringing both B-8 targets, and plain white paper, no bull.  

That's about it.  Oh, and if I have any questions later, I'll post them in my own thread.  This thread was intended to be a lot more than "my shooting".  I fully intended to consider changes in what I'm doing based on the answers I expected to read, but I try to segregate "shooting" information, and "suggestions for me".

Last edited by mikemyers on Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:15 pm

-TT- wrote:
Larry2520 wrote:The Marine manual says for 25 yards hold 6 and 50 hold center.

I'm intrigued by this. Is it because the 50yd sight picture is better, or because the military 45's have no elevation adjustment, so this naturally raises the POI?
Wondering about this myself - if I'm shooting at 25 yards with a sub-6 hold, and I move the target back to 50, the additional drop in bullets due to gravity might be equal to half the diameter of the target, so that sounds logical.  

My friend Dave tells me to do all my slow fire practice at 50.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum