Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remove front sight when using optics?

Go down

Remove front sight when using optics? Empty Remove front sight when using optics?

Post by corsara on 9/14/2020, 2:27 pm

Hello - I'm a bullseye newbie from Canada Smile    Just staring with the sport, got a beginner's S&W Victory and will be installing a bunch of upgrades to it, one of which is a red dot (Sig Romeo5).  My question is if it is a standard practice to remove the front sight since it won't be used, or leave it on?   Is it a matter of personal choice, or there is something else I might be forgetting (e.g. barrel vibration, etc.).   Pls educate me, thanks in advance!

corsara

Back to top Go down

Remove front sight when using optics? Empty Re: Remove front sight when using optics?

Post by james r chapman on 9/14/2020, 2:30 pm

Always need a can opener.
Leave it on if it doesn’t interfere with the dot.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

corsara likes this post

Back to top Go down

Remove front sight when using optics? Empty Re: Remove front sight when using optics?

Post by John Dervis on 9/14/2020, 3:54 pm

I would say most will leave it on for no other reason than it is work to remove it.  I like to leave stuff like that in place in case I want to return the gun to original and I don't want to hunt around for where I put the parts.  I'm with Jim so if it's not distracting to you when looking through the dot, go ahead and leave it in place. 

John.

PS - Welcome to the forum.

John Dervis

corsara likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- on 9/14/2020, 4:30 pm

Leaving the sight can give you a useful visual cue when raising the gun on-target. You can use the front sight as a centering mark, especially if you add a spot of white to the rear surface. Once aligned, the sight will vanish off the bottom of the lens, and you can turn your attention to the bull. And after a while, you'll be doing it automatically!

-TT-

corsara likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett on 9/14/2020, 4:41 pm

I agree with leaving it on.  You never know when your optic may fail and you need to pull it off to finish a match.  This is also based on assuming you leave your rear sight installed and zeroed.  As stated it also helps in not misplacing the front sight and/or screws and not being able to remember where you put them so you don't lose them!  LOL

Allen Barnett

corsara likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans on 9/14/2020, 7:34 pm

With your gun, it doesn't matter. For others, such as a 1911 with a frame mount, you might have to remove it, or the front sight will hit the scope mount.

mpolans

corsara likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum