Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Packing and moving reloading equipment

+9
Asa Yam
WesG
Schaumannk
Ed Hall
chiz1180
Wobbley
john bickar
John Dervis
valbern67
13 posters

Go down

Packing and moving reloading equipment Empty Packing and moving reloading equipment

Post by valbern67 Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:15 am

Hi!

Does anyone have any advice or best practices in packing and moving reloading equipment & ammo? I know that moving companies will not transport ammo. We are renting a truck and will move ourselves.

Thanks!

Val

alien
valbern67
valbern67

Back to top Go down

Packing and moving reloading equipment Empty Re: Packing and moving reloading equipment

Post by John Dervis Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:44 pm

It's been a long time since I did this but here is what I did.  I do have a lot more stuff now so this process would be more challenging today but the principals are the same.

Reloading press (Dillon 650) was dismantled and put in its original box.  Extra tool heads that were all set up were packed into boxes with packing material (I don't recall if I did this individually or if multiple heads were packed together). All the plastic boxes from the dies and conversion kits were filled with any small pieces and they were all packed into one larger box.  Anything else was packed in boxes as necessary.  I don't remember moving a lot of primers or powder back then so this is an idea.  Primers would go into an ammo can or a sturdy plastic tote.  Powder would go into a different plastic tote.

For ammunition - my bulk ammo (match ammo) is already stored in ammo cans so those would be moved as is.  The other ammo I have is all in OEM boxes so I would likely put those into empty ammo cans as needed.  Ammo and bullets get really heavy so more cans with less weight are a good idea.

If your move isn't too far, you could do a lot of this in shorter trips. 

If this is a big move all at once type of thing, have some strong help available.

Good luck.

John

John Dervis

valbern67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Packing and moving reloading equipment Empty Re: Packing and moving reloading equipment

Post by john bickar Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:51 pm

Multiple trips if possible. Don't put many hundreds of pounds of bullets and ammo in the front of a UHaul trailer; fishtailing across I-70 is no fun.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:11 pm

I’ve moved across country several times.   With ammo and reloading equipment.  

If you have the original boxes your press(Es) came in use them.  

Ammo, whether bulk or in factory boxes are best moved in GI 50 cal cans.  They’re relatively cheap and durable.  If you can, unload as much as you can at the range. Fired cases are just scrap metal and the movers can take that. As are bullets and reloading gear.

Powder can be moved in something like these.  https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plano_Sportsmans_Trunk_1619__1719/descpage-PST.html?from=gshop&gclid=CjwKCAjwzIH7BRAbEiwAoDxxTkasPIZr6IWyRLCjkgEmKeYjCPrDRvMBbXlUt-F0e454Qa7gn-6smxoCcLMQAvD_BwE
They come in various sizes.

Primers can fit in a small box.  You can fit 2 50 cal cans in a small moving box.  And sometimes it’s less conspicuous.  

I also recommend moving the guns in the truck with you.  Moving company personnel can get sticky fingered at times,
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:39 pm

john bickar wrote:Multiple trips if possible. Don't put many hundreds of pounds of bullets and ammo in the front of a UHaul trailer; fishtailing across I-70 is no fun.

Been there done that, add gusting crosswinds and the fun goes up exponentially.
Putting the right amount weight in appropriate places is crucial, especially with a trailer.

Don’t make boxes overly heavy. Moving is an exhausting process, if boxes are on the heavier side it is an easy way to get hurt. More general info rather than specific but I hope it is helpful.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by valbern67 Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:10 am

It will be one trip to Oklahoma in a 15-20ft. rental van with vehicle trailer attached. Only using movers to load the truck.

Unfortunately, I don't have the original boxes for my press, so I'll find a box(es) that fit all the parts as best I can and use packing materials to secure.

Thanks!
valbern67
valbern67

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:31 am

Just a general note from someone who has moved a few times:

Make sure whatever you're moving, is wrapped well and secured well, even within boxes - a good reason to use original packaging when available.  You would be surprised at how much damage can come from the rubbing motion of two or more objects that are directly touching.  Even blankets between hard objects can be worn through with enough motion.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:55 am

Ed Hall wrote:Just a general note from someone who has moved a few times:

Make sure whatever you're moving, is wrapped well and secured well, even within boxes - a good reason to use original packaging when available.  You would be surprised at how much damage can come from the rubbing motion of two or more objects that are directly touching.  Even blankets between hard objects can be worn through with enough motion.
The road vibrations alone will loosen all the screws as well.   You own an RV you might as well keep a screw driver in your pocket.   Embarassed

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:27 pm

K
valbern67 wrote:It will be one trip to Oklahoma in a 15-20ft. rental van with vehicle trailer attached. Only using movers to load the truck.

Unfortunately, I don't have the original boxes for my press, so I'll find a box(es) that fit all the parts as best I can and use packing materials to secure.

Thanks!
For heavy objects like your press, dismantle it as much as you can, primer tubes, case feeder mechanisms etc, down to the bare press.  Then wrap the press in a paper “moving blanket” and secure with packing tape.  Pack the wrapped press in a box but use one or two of these paper moving blankets crumpled up on the bottom as padding.  Most presses will fit in a Medium (3,0 cu ft) or large (4,5 cu ft) box. Put the removed things in their own box after bagging the small parts in a ziploc bag.  Place them around or on top of the press   Stuff crumpled Blankets or paper into every nook and cranny.    Crumpled up a couple of paper blankets on top of the press and stuff as much as you can to fill the box tight. You don’t want anything inside to move.  That’s the key to packing anything.  Pack it tight so it can’t move.  The contents And stuffing actually become the “structure” of the box.

Forget Home Depot and Lowe’s for moving boxes.  U haul has a much bigger selection, and their boxes are much better.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:51 pm

Home Depot has heavy duty boxes, much more sturdy than the ones Uhaul has. I haven't seen anything but the lighter ones at UH. But they do have a better selection.

And use 'shipping tape' on the bottom. Packing tape doesn't stick well enough. Slide them around and you'll have the bottom falling out on you.

As for primers and powder, I put them in the same box with some sharp and heavy objects, and stuff them under the drivers seat to keep me awake.

WesG

john bickar and Aprilian like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Asa Yam Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:52 pm

WesG wrote:As for primers and powder,  I put them in the same box with some sharp and heavy objects, and stuff them under the drivers seat to keep me awake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY8zxRjOuak

Asa Yam

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:47 pm

Asa Yam wrote:
WesG wrote:As for primers and powder,  I put them in the same box with some sharp and heavy objects, and stuff them under the drivers seat to keep me awake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY8zxRjOuak

Good point. I'll check with Penske about a sunroof.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:50 pm

You need a bit more than a sunroof...
https://youtu.be/SPOFPj8iou8
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pgg Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:28 pm

All I really know is the last time I did a military partial-DITY move, moving my reloading equipment and components was easy and profitable. Smile It's a lot easier to stack ammo cans full of lead in the back of a Penske than to stack sofas and kitchen appliances.

pgg

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:43 pm

Yeah, ammo cans aren't too bad. Neither are rifles going in like cord wood ;-). Or even the small Uhaul box of 'ammo', 'bullets', and 'red box' I packed some time ago that weighs 108 lbs. And I have no idea what 'red box' means now.

Its the stuff that requires a lift gate truck just to get it out of the driveway so it can be put in the moving truck elsewhere with a forklift. Never mind the anxiety of finding a way to get it out at the end of the trip.

Oh ... maybe its my collection of old winchester ammo in the yellow/red boxes ... yeah, there was a bit of that ...

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:15 am

It's a long way from CA to TX. Gotta stay alert.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:25 am

Like they say:

"Be alert... the world needs more lerts".

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:53 am

WesG wrote:Like they say:

"Be alert... the world needs more lerts".

You've been spying on my luxurious Coalinga East accommodations. I feel violated.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:13 am

Hmm, since grade school I guess.

Seriously, is there something out there?

'We' moved ours a bit NE for some reason I dont understand.

As for CA-TX, it's not too terribly much farther than TX to Canton. Of course the whole required roundabout with Perry, AF museum, friends in MI, etc, makes it into a real excursion.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:24 am

I was joking about how I normally crash at the Coalinga East Motel 6; Tom Bodett; more lerts...

...I'll let myself out.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by flyer898 Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:48 am

I have a lot of reloading equipment, components, and ammo. The key for me when moving was to put things in tightly packed, sturdy boxes that weighed in the 40-50 lb. range.
I found USPS large flat rat boxes to be ideal. Fill them full so that the contents supports the box, label and stack. They can be carried one at a time or stacked on a hand truck.

flyer898

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:12 pm

I know you said you are moving most of your stuff by commerical carrier, so I offer this from my past experience.  DO NOT pre-pack anything that the commerical carrier is moving as the box(es) it is in will be marked as "CCU" contents condition unknown" or "MCU" (mechcanical condition unknown) meaning you will have no recourse for damage by the carrier.  Check with your homeowner or renter insurance company about damage protection.  Check with your commerical carrier about moving insurance for damages.  Trust me you can have damages that run into the thousands very easily!  I had a military move where the carrier had an accident and the trailer hauling my stuff was upside down in the median on I-70 just west of St Louis, MO.  And how did I know, my wife and I were less than 30 minutes behind the truck and stopped at the wreck and actually verified it contained our household goods!  The first thing off of the trailer at the destination was our antique dining room table in 5 pieces!  Take pictures before and after your move for your protection of your household goods.  Now on the other hand I also had a total of 5 commerical moves in my career and 4 of them without even a scratch!  One other thing to consider is anything that is not replaceable, if possible move it yourself, to include receipts and such for your household goods.  Good luck!

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:27 pm

I just move and used the HDX storage bins.  The 7 gal ones work great for ammo and or bullets not loaded yet.  Also for pb not cast yet.  I have a few that have 70+ pounds in them.  i tried to pack them to less than 60 and then fill up with other items.  I used the 27 gal for powder and presses.  I would use lots of packing paper you can get from u-haul to wrap all press parts and then put them in the bin.   If you limit yourself to 2 sizes of bins then you can stack them easy.  they are very sturdy worked great.  I did only move a few miles but since you are driving this stuff I do not see why you could not use them for a longer trip.
Toz35m
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Post by valbern67 Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:11 pm

Allen Barnett wrote:I know you said you are moving most of your stuff by commerical carrier, so I offer this from my past experience.  DO NOT pre-pack anything that the commerical carrier is moving as the box(es) it is in will be marked as "CCU" contents condition unknown" or "MCU" (mechcanical condition unknown) meaning you will have no recourse for damage by the carrier.  Check with your homeowner or renter insurance company about damage protection.  Check with your commerical carrier about moving insurance for damages.  Trust me you can have damages that run into the thousands very easily!  I had a military move where the carrier had an accident and the trailer hauling my stuff was upside down in the median on I-70 just west of St Louis, MO.  And how did I know, my wife and I were less than 30 minutes behind the truck and stopped at the wreck and actually verified it contained our household goods!  The first thing off of the trailer at the destination was our antique dining room table in 5 pieces!  Take pictures before and after your move for your protection of your household goods.  Now on the other hand I also had a total of 5 commerical moves in my career and 4 of them without even a scratch!  One other thing to consider is anything that is not replaceable, if possible move it yourself, to include receipts and such for your household goods.  Good luck!

Hi Allen,

I'm not using a commercial carrier - we're renting a large U-Haul truck, so we can pack as we please.

V
valbern67
valbern67

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:25 pm

Sorry I mis-read your post. Please disregard all after "I know you said"!!!

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down