Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions on magnum primers and W231

5 posters

Go down

Questions on magnum primers and W231 Empty Questions on magnum primers and W231

Post by Psween 9/26/2020, 5:36 pm

Two separate questions: I'm down to my last 1000 standard LP primers but have 1000 Federal Magnum LP that I could use, how much if any will I likely need to adjust my target loads when I switch? Load is currently 4.0 BE with Brazos 180 SWC. Also, picked up a pound of W231, as local shop had no BE or WST, any recommended accuracy loads for W231 with 180gn Brazos SWC? Thanks,

Patrick

Psween

Back to top Go down

Questions on magnum primers and W231 Empty Re: Questions on magnum primers and W231

Post by bruce martindale 9/26/2020, 10:01 pm

4.6-231 is good with 200 s. 231 is slower than BE and favors the heavier bullet. Shoukd be just fine with 180& mag primer.

Test it with normal primers then side by side, the magnum. See how you like the feel and the amount of unburned powder

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Questions on magnum primers and W231 Empty Re: Questions on magnum primers and W231

Post by SingleActionAndrew 10/6/2020, 9:39 pm

bruce martindale wrote:
Test it with normal primers then side by side, the magnum. See how you like the feel and the amount of unburned powder

Bruce do you mean to suggest here that magnum primers may result in more unburned powder? I've had to settle for magnum primers in this great primer shortage of 2020 and am curious how much it will change things. On other forums some suggest a tenth of a grain less powder and others seem adamant on there being no difference between standard & magnum. My standards and magnums for LPP are all CCI if that matters. Thanks!
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash 10/7/2020, 5:20 am

I am running those bullets with 5.0gr of W231 and getting some un-burnt powder. I am thinking being a slow burning ball powder that a Mag primer might be the way to go.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by Psween 10/8/2020, 7:55 am

I haven't had the chance to test any of the mag primers yet, but I have shot some W231 loads. My RCBS Uniflow measure, when set to 4.0 BE, throws 4.6 W231. Since that's well within the safe range I've seen published, I just left it there. My impression is that this is just a touch hotter (faster) than the BE load, but I didn't chrono it. It also seems cleaner at this level, and I didn't notice any unburnt powder. I can't see an accuracy difference. For sure it flows through the measure much more smoothly. Overall I like it, will maybe try dropping down a few tenths.

Patrick

Psween

Back to top Go down

Questions on magnum primers and W231 Empty W231 considered a slow burning powder??

Post by jjfitch 10/8/2020, 9:35 pm

Ray Dash wrote:I am running those bullets with 5.0gr of W231 and getting some un-burnt powder. I am thinking being a slow burning ball powder that a Mag primer might be the way to go.

I've never heard anyone consider W231 a slow burning powder, well in my neighborhood anyway! It is considered a "dirty" powder at slower velocities though. My PPC 38 Spl.148 grain WC target load is 3.1 grains of W231 to match the Winchester Target Ammo.

What is your finished case neck diameter? Is it possible that over crimping is reducing bullet diameter and case tension. 

There is a thread running in another forum and reloaders are experiencing different results when using magnum primers in non magnum powders.  

At target velocities there wasn't much dissuasion in the way of increased velocities some increase and some decrease! And no overpressure signs!

My personal testing 9mm, 135 grain Plated RNFP at Minor PF showed an increase of 25 fps with mid range burn rate powders.

Smiles,
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash 10/9/2020, 7:14 am

jjfitch wrote:
Ray Dash wrote:I am running those bullets with 5.0gr of W231 and getting some un-burnt powder. I am thinking being a slow burning ball powder that a Mag primer might be the way to go.

I've never heard anyone consider W231 a slow burning powder, well in my neighborhood anyway! It is considered a "dirty" powder at slower velocities though. My PPC 38 Spl.148 grain WC target load is 3.1 grains of W231 to match the Winchester Target Ammo.

What is your finished case neck diameter? Is it possible that over crimping is reducing bullet diameter and case tension. 

There is a thread running in another forum and reloaders are experiencing different results when using magnum primers in non magnum powders.  

At target velocities there wasn't much dissuasion in the way of increased velocities some increase and some decrease! And no overpressure signs!

My personal testing 9mm, 135 grain Plated RNFP at Minor PF showed an increase of 25 fps with mid range burn rate powders.

Smiles,
You are correct that W231 is def not a slow burning powder but I guess I consider it slow compared to most of the powders that guys are using in Bullseye. 

My finished case diameter is .463" as recommended by many on this forum.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down