Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help on cast bullets ready to load.

+4
james r chapman
noylj
Wobbley
Rat Rod Mac
8 posters

Go down

Need help on cast bullets ready to load. Empty Need help on cast bullets ready to load.

Post by Rat Rod Mac Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:46 pm

I just recently picked up a .45acp gun and would like to load for it. I enjoy shooting bullseye style, with my .22's, but not in competition, just challenging myself. I have seen some shooters sharing their pet loads and have noticed a lot of them shoot the H&G 68 200gr. cast bullet. I have reloaded for years, but have never cast any bullets. So my question is where can I buy some of these H&G 68 bullets that are sized and lubed and ready to be reloaded? One other thing,, maybe you guys are using something else now besides the H&G 68 bullet. There are always changes and what was good last week may now be obsolete, so fill me in if everyone is going with something new or better. Thank you in advance.   RRM

Rat Rod Mac

Back to top Go down

Need help on cast bullets ready to load. Empty Re: Need help on cast bullets ready to load.

Post by Wobbley Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:59 pm

https://www.brazosprecision.com/

http://saas.shopsite.com/magnusbullets/store/

Magnus and Brazos both help support this forum.  Tell them we sent you.

Brazos only sells coated bullets...they shoot really good!  Magnus shoots well also... In the words of Jerry Miculek. “Get Some”.

Everybody out there is out of inventory, but if you order today you will eventually get your order.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Need help on cast bullets ready to load. Empty Re: Need help on cast bullets ready to load.

Post by Rat Rod Mac Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:20 pm

Thanks Wobbley.

Rat Rod Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:22 pm

The H&G #68 was the first long-nose SWC. It was designed so the nose hit the feed ramp in the same location as the std. RN bullet. It has been cloned many times. Currently, if I'm casting my own, I prefer my RCBS 452-201-KT mold to my H&G #68 mold.
Best bullets are swaged 200gn L-SWC supplied by Zero and Magnus. Precision Bullet in Texas supplies a swaged/coated bullet that is almost as accurate. The shorter nosed Precision Delta bullet is also quite accurate.
You can buy H&G 68 clone bullets from almost ANY cast bullet company. They all tend to use the same casting equipment, molds, and alloys, varying only in lubricant used. I have had great results with mastercastbullets.com, Missouri Bullets, and Penn Bullets. You can look for regular lubed cast bullets or coated cast lead bullets.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by Rat Rod Mac Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:47 am

noylj, thank you very much for that explanation. Almost all of my reloading has been with jacketed rifle bullets (.22 caliber varmint rifles) so I'm a green horn with the cast stuff. If I have this correct a swaged bullet is pure lead and a cast bullet has elements like tin added to it to make it harder (so it can be pushed faster?). At around 800fps a swaged would work fine in my .45acp with not much leading in the barrel? I have some Bullseye powder here and it looks like some of the guys use it so i'll start out with that.
Also can you fill me in on these bullets that are "plated" and what advantage do they have over the cast and swaged? Thank you very much for being patient with me on my questions.     RRM

Rat Rod Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:06 am

You won’t need 800 with swaged bullets.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:07 am

Brazos uses the Hi-Tek coating. A polymer...works very well and mantains the bullets basic accuracy. More of a heated coating than plating. .originates from Australia.

jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:32 am

You can read for days about swaged, cast and plated Lead bullets, and still be a beginner.  Here is an excellent reference website:  
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm  

Alloying of Lead may produce one or more of desired goals, which may include increased hardness, better surface finish, avoiding internal porosity, or other goals.  Tin depresses melt/freeze temperature and can reduce porosity, and Lead/Tin/Antimony or Arsenic can do much to harden a bullet.  Lead metallurgy is weird, in that working a Lead/Tin/Antimony alloy may result in softer alloy than as-cast.  Bullets usually shoot best as-cast.  

Particularly for target bullets, increased hardness is not something that most pistol shooters want.  That being said, slumping or other structural failure of a bullet will cause inaccuracy.  

Sometimes a plated bullet, all other things the same, will not Lead, when non-plated will.  

Swaged, cast & plated bullets must fill the groove diameter or you will get lots of Lead fouling.  Barrels intended for jacketed bullets will sometimes be intentionally made .001" or so larger than expected jacketed bullet diameter, the concept being "freebore."

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:34 am

I also recommend the Brazos coated bullets. Specifically their 200 grain SWC which is an HG 68 clone. Great shooting bullet in most  1911s. 3.5 to 4.0 grains of Bullseye will give great results.
JKR

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Rat Rod Mac Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:43 pm

All you guys that responded, thank you very much. Looks like you can make a science out of this stuff just like you can a lot of other things. I've got a couple acres of old unreclaimed strip-mine here that I have converted into a homemade shooting range and I go back there and just have fun. This bullseye type shooting is not easy. I'm shooting one hand, off hand at a 5" metal gong at 50 yards, and I miss a lot, but it's challenging. LOL. Maybe I'll look into these Brazos coated bullets. Like I said, I'm not out to win any trophy's. Once again thanks. P.S. where would be a good place to buy these from?

Rat Rod Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:17 pm

Here's where to find Brazos.

https://www.brazosprecision.com/
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:05 pm

A 5” gong at 50 yards is a small aiming point!

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down