Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model 52 dry firing?

+2
mikemyers
valbern67
6 posters

Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Model 52 dry firing?

Post by valbern67 10/14/2020, 8:41 pm

Ok, all you Model 52 shooters.....

How do you dry fire? Mine doesn't allow me to dry fire unless I keep inserting and removing an empty magazine and that's a PITA.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Val

alien
valbern67
valbern67

Posts : 272
Join date : 2018-09-04
Location : Norman, OK

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by mikemyers 10/14/2020, 8:44 pm

The "safety" on the left side limits how far the firing pin can go.  I put in an empty magazine, pull back the hammer, and fire.
I was told this was the best way to do it, but maybe others here have better ideas.

If you want it to fire with or without a magazine, there is a small spring and plunger under the rear sight that is part of the magazine disconnect.
If you remove them, the gun will "fire" without a magazine in place.
The magazine disconnect is a safety feature, for police.  If someone is grabbing their gun, they can hit the bottom to let the magazine drop out, and the thug can't shoot them.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Posts : 3940
Join date : 2016-07-26
Age : 78
Location : South Florida, and India

valbern67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by weber1b 10/15/2020, 8:38 am

I removed the magazine safety. problem solved.

weber1b

Posts : 537
Join date : 2015-10-03
Location : Ballwin, MO

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by bruce martindale 10/15/2020, 7:31 pm

You don't have to rack the slide, just put in a mag, safety on ...cock and repeat. Some peeps swear that causes damage but I have yet to see it.

bruce martindale

Posts : 1173
Join date : 2011-07-29
Location : Upstate NY

farmboy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by mikemyers 10/15/2020, 8:27 pm

Without that small plunger on the top, the magazine doesn't need to be in the gun.  
(I removed the plunger for a very different reason, but without it, the gun will dry fire just fine without a magazine.)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Posts : 3940
Join date : 2016-07-26
Age : 78
Location : South Florida, and India

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by KB2MBC 10/16/2020, 6:27 am

Is it better to dry fire with the safety on or off?

KB2MBC

Posts : 150
Join date : 2014-11-29

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by mikemyers 10/16/2020, 7:43 am

Here's the answer from one of the people who actually assembled the guns, 'donk' from the S&W Forum; you can dry-fire with the safety OFF, and from one of the other users, that is preferable than turning the safety ON.:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/586147-dry-firing-s-w-model-52-a.html#post140378271
mikemyers
mikemyers

Posts : 3940
Join date : 2016-07-26
Age : 78
Location : South Florida, and India

valbern67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by KB2MBC 10/16/2020, 7:53 am

As I thought. Of the very few times I've dropped the hammer with the safety on, I thought it was kinda brutal. So I've been dry firing with it off, just wanted to know what others did. Thanks for the link Mike.

KB2MBC

Posts : 150
Join date : 2014-11-29

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by Bmitch996 10/28/2020, 9:31 am

What can happen with a lot of dry firing on an old safety.Model 52 dry firing? Img_3610

Bmitch996

Posts : 130
Join date : 2018-01-18
Location : South Carolina, Lake George NY, CA

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by mikemyers 10/28/2020, 10:22 am

Ouch!

If Numrich doesn't have one in stock for you, and if you've got a Model 52-2, I bought a spare last year "just in case".  I doubt I'll ever need to use it.  Let me know if they don't have a new one for you.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Posts : 3940
Join date : 2016-07-26
Age : 78
Location : South Florida, and India

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by Bmitch996 10/28/2020, 10:43 am

mikemyers wrote:Ouch!

If Numrich doesn't have one in stock for you, and if you've got a Model 52-2, I bought a spare last year "just in case".  I doubt I'll ever need to use it.  Let me know if they don't have a new one for you.

Thanks. This happened a few years ago and I've replaced it.  Getting the broken safety out of the slide was a huge pain in the....neck!  So beware of dry firing with the safety on.

Bmitch996

Posts : 130
Join date : 2018-01-18
Location : South Carolina, Lake George NY, CA

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by valbern67 10/28/2020, 2:54 pm

mikemyers wrote:Here's the answer from one of the people who actually assembled the guns, 'donk' from the S&W Forum; you can dry-fire with the safety OFF, and from one of the other users, that is preferable than turning the safety ON.:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/586147-dry-firing-s-w-model-52-a.html#post140378271

There are several threads, but I don't see a particular reference to dry firing a Model 52.....just revolvers.
valbern67
valbern67

Posts : 272
Join date : 2018-09-04
Location : Norman, OK

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by Bmitch996 10/28/2020, 4:23 pm

Model 52 dry firing? Img_9910
Model 52 dry firing? Img_7610

Bmitch996

Posts : 130
Join date : 2018-01-18
Location : South Carolina, Lake George NY, CA

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by Bmitch996 10/28/2020, 4:27 pm

The Model 52 instructions.  Safety Features 3.  may be the cause of the confusion.

Just dry fire like any other revolver or center fire pistol in my opinion.

Bmitch996

Posts : 130
Join date : 2018-01-18
Location : South Carolina, Lake George NY, CA

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by valbern67 10/28/2020, 5:40 pm

Bmitch996 wrote:Model 52 dry firing? Img_9910
Model 52 dry firing? Img_7610

Thanks for this - I called S & W to order a copy of the manual but they said it would be at least 6 weeks. They have to request it from a printer as they don't have any manuals in stock any more....
valbern67
valbern67

Posts : 272
Join date : 2018-09-04
Location : Norman, OK

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by valbern67 10/28/2020, 5:45 pm

Bmitch996 wrote:The Model 52 instructions.  Safety Features 3.  may be the cause of the confusion.

Just dry fire like any other revolver or center fire pistol in my opinion.

The way I read it, the instructions indicate to engage the safety for dry firing, so it wouldn't be like any other revolver or CF pistol.
valbern67
valbern67

Posts : 272
Join date : 2018-09-04
Location : Norman, OK

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by Bmitch996 10/28/2020, 5:54 pm

valbern67 wrote:
Bmitch996 wrote:The Model 52 instructions.  Safety Features 3.  may be the cause of the confusion.

Just dry fire like any other revolver or center fire pistol in my opinion.

The way I read it, the instructions indicate to engage the safety for dry firing, so it wouldn't be like any other revolver or CF pistol.

Yes that's the way it reads.  I'm just saying I wouldn't do it after my experience with the broken safety.

Bmitch996

Posts : 130
Join date : 2018-01-18
Location : South Carolina, Lake George NY, CA

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by mikemyers 10/28/2020, 6:34 pm

valbern67 wrote:
mikemyers wrote:Here's the answer from one of the people who actually assembled the guns, 'donk' from the S&W Forum; you can dry-fire with the safety OFF, and from one of the other users, that is preferable than turning the safety ON.:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/586147-dry-firing-s-w-model-52-a.html#post140378271

There are several threads, but I don't see a particular reference to dry firing a Model 52.....just revolvers.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/140376785-post4.html

That made perfect sense to me, and nobody contradicted him.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Posts : 3940
Join date : 2016-07-26
Age : 78
Location : South Florida, and India

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by bruce martindale 10/28/2020, 8:37 pm

Sooooo, put a strip of belt leather in the slide cut for the hammer.

Easy peasy

bruce martindale

Posts : 1173
Join date : 2011-07-29
Location : Upstate NY

valbern67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Model 52 dry firing? Empty Re: Model 52 dry firing?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum