Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTB CCI Standard Plastic

+9
Allen Barnett
zanemoseley
james r chapman
Kp321
mikemyers
gasixgunner
REConley
Gustavo1957
toddcfii
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WTB CCI Standard Plastic Empty WTB CCI Standard Plastic

Post by toddcfii 10/19/2020, 10:39 pm

Looking to buy CCI Standard Velocity (SV) 22 cal ammunition in the plastic box. This is the only ammo my Marvel will consistently feed. Let me know via PM if you have any for sale. Thanks!
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

WTB CCI Standard Plastic Empty Re: WTB CCI Standard Plastic

Post by Gustavo1957 10/20/2020, 5:23 am

What state are you in?

Gustavo1957

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 10/20/2020, 6:37 am

Jacksonville, Florida
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley 10/20/2020, 9:43 am

This location seems to say they have it in stock.  #32 per 100   is the plastic box.  

https://www.dowdlesports.com/CCI-22LR-Standard-Velocity-Per100_p_39760.html
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by gasixgunner 10/20/2020, 10:27 am

Do you shoot at Gateway?

gasixgunner

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/20/2020, 11:55 am

toddcfii wrote:Looking to buy CCI Standard Velocity (SV) 22 cal ammunition in the plastic box. This is the only ammo my Marvel will consistently feed. Let me know via PM if you have any for sale. Thanks!
Not sure if this helps, but my Nelson conversion works with CCI nowadays, and it seems just as happy with the Eley ammo available from the CMP in 'bulk'.  If your club belongs to the CMP (Civilian Marksmansip Program) I think the cost is $360 for a case of 5,000 rounds.  You can buy up to two cases a year. 

The difference between CCI and the Eley ammo in the bulk package seems to be mostly in the "coating" on the rounds.  CCI used to use some kind of "stuff" that caused problems.  The newer CCI is much better - no problems.  The Eley by comparison seems to have only a very light coat of oil.

If you ever come down to Miami, I can give you some of the Eley to try, or you can come to the Hollywood Rifle and Pistol Club and try it right there.  If the Nelson likes it, your Marvel might also.  Maybe someone else in this thread can comment on using the CMP bulk Eley ammo in a Marvel conversion.....
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 10/20/2020, 1:19 pm

I second what mikemeyers says about the Eley from CMP. This ammo runs well and accurately in my Nelson’s and 41’s, even in cool weather. CCI SV does not do well for me in the winter. The Eley is 1090 FPS vs 1070 for the CCI, just enough more oomph to run better.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 10/20/2020, 1:49 pm

Yes I do. Was at the State Championship this weekend.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 10/20/2020, 1:57 pm

I have some of the CMP Eley Ammo. It runs a far second best in my gun. The CCI in cardboard box is just as bad as most anything. The plastic box SV in 100 count works by far the best. I ordered some from the above source. We will see how they come. Thanks for the point out.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 10/20/2020, 3:08 pm

I’ve heard these comments for decades.
Is there empirical data to show #32 is dramatically better than 35?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 10/20/2020, 3:58 pm

There's no way the plastic box is better, maybe some older lots were but that was likely just luck. Watch this CCI tour video, at 6:39 you can see a finished tray of 100 coming down the conveyor, they just snap it in half to make the paper box or leave full to make a plastic box. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rCZHG_eEak

zanemoseley

JKR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett 10/20/2020, 4:12 pm

I do believe that when they changed the #0035 packaging from a dark blue with red stripe to a lighter blue with an orange stripe that something was changed in the load as the newer lighter blue w/orange stripe just isn't the same IMO.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 10/20/2020, 4:20 pm

thanks for the video Zane!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/20/2020, 5:01 pm

Long ago, I was told CCI opened another plant, and they were struggling with the 22 ammo because of the "lube" they were coated with.  The lighter blue 50-round box ammo did not work for me - I sent some to Justin in CCI Quality Control, and he had me ship all I had back to him - it was replaced in a darker blue box, just like what I got several months ago from Champions Choice.  

The lead and brass might be the same, but whatever they coated the rounds with seemed to have an issue.  The newer 22 ammo that came in 50 round boxes packed in a case from Champions Choice was good.  But the CMP Eley is at least as good.  

As a side note, when I shot my Model 17 revolver with CCI, after a while the rounds were difficult to eject.  No such problem with Eley, it runs flawlessly in my model 17 revolver, my High Standard, and my Nelson.  I can't really say either is "better" for my shooting, but I am not likely to be a good enough shooter to notice any difference in precision.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 10/20/2020, 5:27 pm

toddcfii wrote:Yes I do. Was at the State Championship this weekend.
I was there this weekend too. Was that you with an alibi almost every string?? Lol
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 10/20/2020, 5:45 pm

Haha. No. I only had one alibi because I had the plastic case CCI SV.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 10/20/2020, 5:53 pm

You was on station 220 and I was 213
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 10/20/2020, 8:03 pm

zanemoseley wrote:There's no way the plastic box is better, maybe some older lots were but that was likely just luck. Watch this CCI tour video, at 6:39 you can see a finished tray of 100 coming down the conveyor, they just snap it in half to make the paper box or leave full to make a plastic box. 

I did not see in the video that they use the same Ammo for 100 pack plastic and 50 pack cardboard. Travis at FCW which makes the Marvel conversion and I have had several conversations on this. If anyone has more than anecdotal experience on this I would say it is him. He says there is definitely a difference. I switched from cardboard packed CCI sv to plastic pack and went from 4 to 6 malfunctions per 90 round match to 1 or less. It may not make a difference in your gun but it does in mine.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by ASchlem 10/20/2020, 8:06 pm

I once had a issue with plastic box cci sv not running in a 41. All paper box worked flawless.
ASchlem
ASchlem

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/20/2020, 10:02 pm

toddcfii wrote:..........If anyone has more than anecdotal experience on this I would say it is him. He says there is definitely a difference.  I switched from cardboard packed CCI sv to plastic pack and went from 4 to 6 malfunctions per 90 round match to 1 or less......
Suggestion.  Call the Tech Support number for CCI, and if possible, ask for Justin, who I believe is in charge.  Number might be 1-866-286-7436, or 1-800-948-1356.  Explain the problem to him from beginning to end.  If you have the original boxes, he may ask you for batch numbers, and based on what you tell him, he's likely to tell you to send back some, or all, of your old ammo.

I'm guessing he's going to tell you the each plant that manufactures ammo just makes it, and puts it somewhere in storage.  From there it gets packaged and shipped.  In the same way that I got bad ammo (having purchased a case of it from one of the larger sellers), the ammo "around it" is likely to have the same problem.  My problem was apparently that they started a new plant, or a new line - something new - and at the time I had problems, lots of other people were having problems.  It will certainly help if you can give him enough information so he can track down where YOUR ammo came from, and when.  

You can also ask him how you can tell that the ammo you're thinking of buying is something that doesn't have the issues you describe.  
If the shop is selling two year old ammo, you might just be buying the same problems you describe, regardless of how it's packaged.

If you mail him some of your old ammo boxes, cardboard, plastic, whatever, that might help.  

You can also call Eley ammo (I did), describe your problems, and ask them to send you a sample box of the same ammo being sold by the CMP, so you can see if it works in your gun.  I had a long talk with their tech people, and they sent me several sample boxes, including one that should be just like what the CMP is selling.  ....but none of this will help you if you don't have a membership card from a club that is affiliated with the CMP.  Without that, CMP can't sell you any ammo.

Just a few ideas - I'm in no position to tell anyone else what to do, or why, but it's easy to explain what happened to me, and that the tech support people are very easy to work with.  They *want* people to be happy with their products, and if there is a real issue, they *want* to resolve it.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 10/20/2020, 10:17 pm

Coming from a background in engineering and manufacturing there is no advantage what so ever to making the plastic box ammo any better than the paper, it's marketed as the same ammo. They would essentially be making an entirely new product requiring tooling or process changes for no benefit to the company. I have no doubt people haven't occasionally found plastic box lots better than paper but the opposite is also likely true. I'm surprised they still offer both, seems less efficient making both packages with no real benefit, I guess plastic box is better if you're banging it around in your squirrel hunting pack.

zanemoseley

JKR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 10/21/2020, 5:07 am

Possibly rejected Green tag .22?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 10/21/2020, 7:55 am

I think its because inserting the rounds into the plastic tray holes scrapes off the excess lube.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 10/21/2020, 8:00 am

SmokinNJokin wrote:I think its because inserting the rounds into the plastic tray holes scrapes off the excess lube.

Did you watch the video I posted? The plastic box uses the same tray top it just either left whole for the plastic box or snapped in half to fix 2 paper boxes.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/21/2020, 10:40 am

zanemoseley wrote:There's no way the plastic box is better, maybe some older lots were but that was likely just luck. Watch this CCI tour video, at 6:39 you can see a finished tray of 100 coming down the conveyor, they just snap it in half to make the paper box or leave full to make a plastic box. 

Thank you very much for the video, Zane.  Fascinating!  Ditto for the video that automatically played after the CCI video.

Since you found all this, maybe you can start a new thread somewhere for "how ammo is made"?   
In this thread, it will get buried.  
Very informative!

mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum