Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lead-free bullets

+15
chopper
Wobbley
Motophotog7
Olde Pilot
PhotoEscape
troystaten
BE Mike
juniper
S148
mikld
willnewton
Slartybartfast
Slamfire
Richard Ashmore
PROSAF Precision
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lead-free bullets - Page 2 Empty Lead-free bullets

Post by PROSAF Precision Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:23 am

First topic message reminder :

I read the post about lead-free primers.  In terms of reducing lead exposure and blood lead, there are lots of good ideas and advice in that post.  I asked CCI if they would make their lead-free primers available to handloaders and I got a nice reply:  negative.  I agree that it is important to work on reducing lead exposure as my blood lead level is also elevated.  Here’s an alternate path that I think is worth pursuing.

I found a supplier of lead-free copper (compressed particle Cu) bullets.  Yes, I know there are lots of copper and copper/polymer bullets out there.  But, we bullseye shooters have a special requirement:  performance at the target.  I did a lot of testing of a lot of bullet models.  I found one that works.  See 50 yd and 25yd pictures.  These were fired outdoors using a Les Baer 1911 in a Ransom Rest.  Bullet is a 150g HP.  I use 4.5g Tite Group at 50yds and 4.0g at the short lines.  These loads have the additional advantage of low recoil.  These loads function my Les Baer with a 12.5 lb spring.  Others with slide mounted sights find they need a bit more powder.

I can make these bullets available for sale in the Commercial Row page.  But, I wanted to first see if there was some interest out there.

PROSAF Precision

https://www.prosafprecision.com

Back to top Go down

Lead-free bullets - Page 2 Empty Re: Lead-free bullets

Post by Pbmoser1954 Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:08 pm

I never thought getting lead exposure from dry media when cleaning brass till after reading these article. So now I purchase a wet Tumblr. I have to say it’s a little more work but it cleans the brass 100% better.
Pbmoser1954
Pbmoser1954

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:12 pm

I have the D Lead shampoo and laundry detergent. Our home range isn't well ventilated. I wear a 2xP100 as well.

A friend uses tac mats in his reloading room. I would hate to have a spent primer stick to my shoe and the dog eat or sniff it up, so am considering checking them out. When I deprime brass and ream pockets I wear gloves now and my fingers don't smell and feel funny afterward. Cases go from there into ultrasonic bath and the wash as well as rinse water all goes into 5gal buckets which go to hazardous waste disposal. Would love to take the time to understand how the lead in that fluid icould be made inert so I don't have to haul 40lb buckets of poison. I've only shot JHP for the past year and it doesn't have lead exposed to combustion or the rifling but ... I'm not getting rid of all the SWCs in this crazy climate right now.

I'm in contact with the OP and hope to get some of these projectiles to try. Are all "compressed particle Cu" bullets "frangible" and should that be a concern?
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB5940 Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm

I also use D-Lead Laundry soap, hand soap, and wipes. I wear gloves while reloading and I keep the range clothes in my workshop between washings and keep shoes that travel to the range out of the house. I have a 11 pound Jack Russell terrier that is crazy enough now without getting more any crazy licking primer dust off my clothes or shoes!.

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:22 pm

I haven't tested my blood lead level yet, but plan to do it this year.  I used to load for shotgun, and it seemed a lot dirtier than the pistol loading I am doing now.  Empty shotgun hulls were not cleaned prior to loading.

I too have purchased the D-lead products, and am using them now, along with disposable gloves while reloading.

I added a step to my case cleaning routine, I now wet tumble them before depriming, then wet tumble them again.  This may be overkill, but it should help keep the reloading area cleaner.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2