Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prism Optics

+6
CrankyThunder
joeangi
fc60
REConley
James Hensler
JNW1
10 posters

Go down

Prism Optics Empty Prism Optics

Post by JNW1 11/20/2020, 3:28 pm

Anyone try a prism optic on a pistol?  I have astigmatism and a red dots are all messy.  I have dots from Vortex, Leupold, Trijicon and Ultradot.  Each is abnormal in its own special way with the Ultradots being the worst.  The Trijicon SRO is the least abnormal, but its still not a dot.  I've tried diopters and they help a little, but not much.  I got an Eotech for an AR this summer and it was a pixelated nightmare so no hologram sights for me.  I put a Primary Arms 2x prism optic on that rifle and its wonderful.   The problem is the eye relief is for a rifle and not long enough for a pistol.  Anyone tried a prism optic on a pistol and had success?  I'm tempted to get a Vortex Spitfire and see how it works.
Thanks,
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Prism Optics Empty Re: Prism Optics

Post by James Hensler 11/20/2020, 4:27 pm

Go to eBay and search Eyepal. For 20 bucks you can get a set of 2 pistol ones. For 20 bucks they really work for me and my dots are perfect
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 11/20/2020, 4:43 pm

Tried them.  Didn't really help.
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley 11/20/2020, 5:05 pm

45 - 60 seconds per eye under a Lasik machine and all of the RDs work perfectly. 

A little pricey, yes but one and done.
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 11/20/2020, 5:31 pm

JNW1 wrote:Tried them.  Didn't really help.
Jeff
Wow they sure helped me out big time
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 11/20/2020, 6:47 pm

Greetings,

This may be redundant; but, are you shooting with your distance prescription?

If you are using glasses for reading; then, yes, the dot looks horrible.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 11/20/2020, 8:58 pm

I only have RX reading glasses because I’m far sighted. Still have excellent distance vision so don’t shoot with RX glasses.
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Post by joeangi 11/20/2020, 9:14 pm

I wonder if they could make you distance glasses that just correct for the astigmatism? No power correction, just rotation...

joeangi

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 11/21/2020, 4:52 am

Hey JNW.  

I was in the same boat as you and this is what worked for me.  

Take your red dot scope into Rite Aid Pharmacy.  Back by the pharmacy department they have a rack of reading glasses and in the middle they will have some Foster Grant Tri View glasses in various powers.  Start with a 1.25 power and take a look through your red dot.  Personally a 1.5 works for me but you gotta see what works for you.  Go ahead and place your red dot on a shelf at eye level so you are relaxed while you look through it to help you select the power.  They cost a little over $30.00 but keep an eye out because during the holidays they will have specials like a three for one price and such. 

Now you got your shooting glasses, head on down to the gun store and take a look at some of the reflex sights.  What I have found is that the tube style red dot sights have three lenses to mess the dot up while the reflex style only has one lens.  Take a look at see if the dot is better for you for the reflex when compaired to the tube style dot.  Problem with the reflex style sights is that their windage and elevation on most of them is non repeatable and inaccurate in tracking.  You can get them zeroed but if you are adjusting your sights from the 50 yard line to the 25 yard line, well, then you gotta put some effort into it.  From what I have found, the Trijicon MRO reflex dot is pretty good when adjusting from the 50 yard line to the 25 yard line and back again.  Its a bit pricey but it works and I like the 5 MOA dot.  

Regards, 
Crankster
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 11/21/2020, 6:46 am

The reflex Leupold Deltapoint Pro is nicely repeatable when changing elevation too. Pricey as well, of course.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter 11/21/2020, 4:36 pm

JNW1, "excellent distance vision" is relative to how well one wants to see.  Although you mentioned you have astigmatism and are farsighted, along with the red dots being "messy, abnormal and a pixelated nightmare", finding the ideal scope probably won't be possible unless you start with the prescription shooting glasses.

https://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ssusa_202009/index.php#/p/26

Norman

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 11/22/2020, 8:47 am

Well, I don't know of any optometrists who understand shooting so I would have to find one first.  My vision is still 20/15 which is above average.  I can shoot open sights well with my readers, but the target is quite out of focus.  I put an Ultradot on a pistol yesterday and shot it with the 8 MOA dot which decreased the distortion due to my astigmatism.  I've always preferred 2 MOA dots in the past.  I was pleasantly surprised by how well I shot.  
I don't think there are any prism scopes that work on pistols so it seems that either shooting what I have or finding an optometrist to work with are my options.
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 11/22/2020, 9:03 am

Shooters are anal retentive perfectionists by nature.   Dot doesn’t look round?   We gotta fix it, or it bugs the snot out of us.

That said,  I have good days and bad days.   Some days the dot looks rounder than others.   Sometimes I see two when the dot is at a certain setting.   Sometimes I can stop this by going up or down in intensity.   

Regardless of what the dot looks like on any particular day, I get good results, when I keep it in the middle of the tube, and work on a smooth quick trigger pull and a consistent grip.  
I know it sounds trite,   But the dot gets way too much credit, and way too much blame.  If you are staring it down, chances are you are already behind the shot.

Schaumannk

TonyH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 11/22/2020, 9:50 am

JEFF:  You want a “Distance Vision” correction PLUS .25 to .75 and any astigmatism correction.  Optically, your distance vision correction kinda starts at about 10 feet.  The correction brings your focus “center” about 1/2 meter towards you.  This allows the eye to have definition on the front sight and still have good definition of the aiming mark.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 11/22/2020, 10:15 am

Wobbley wrote:JEFF:  You want a “Distance Vision” correction PLUS .25 to .75 and any astigmatism correction.  Optically, your distance vision correction kinda starts at about 10 feet.  The correction brings your focus “center” about 1/2 meter towards you.  This allows the eye to have definition on the front sight and still have good definition of the aiming mark.
This can be a double edged sword.   Pick one thing to look at, the dot or the target.   Don’t jump back and forth.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter 11/22/2020, 11:02 am

Here's some practical advice.  During your next eye exam and the doctor tells you have astigmatism, be sure to bring a couple of red dot scopes without the pistol.  Ask for the prescription lenses, both cylindrical and spherical no matter how minimal, to be inserted into a trial frame.  While looking at a far distance, note the clarity and roundness of the dots.

It doesn't matter if the doctor is pro-gun or anti-gun.  Just say that the scopes are surveying equipment for your job.  Schaumannk, Wobbley and JNW1 are all correct in their assessments.  The larger 8 MOA will show less distortion than the 2 MOA dot.  I've found that for some, a +0.25 add over the best distance prescription may clear up the dot better.  However, if a +0.50 or +0.75 is needed, then there was a mistake in the refraction. (I'm referring to only viewing the dot and not iron sights)

Lastly, the dot may appearance may vary from day to day or even during different times of the day.  This may be related to the lighting, tear layer on the eye surface, possible effects from medications, and health status both known and unknown.  Personally, when I started having difficulty with testing ammo with the sand bag, none of the above applied.  It was due to cataracts.

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/22/2020, 11:35 am

I have two pairs of large size clip-on lens from Champions Choice:-

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=CCSCL10

+1.00 and +1.50. They might help with your investigation.

I bought them when I was experimenting with shooting glasses before I moved to Knobloch's. Cost me $40 plus shipping Never used. I will now advertise them in Commercial Row.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down