Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starter Air Pistol

+8
Psween
BE Mike
lablover
jscot111
bruce martindale
10sandxs
spursnguns
ASchlem
12 posters

Go down

Starter Air Pistol Empty Starter Air Pistol

Post by ASchlem 12/16/2020, 3:50 pm

New Izzy from Air Venturi, Hammerli ap20 or a used ??? I would like to stay around $800 or less. I mostly shoot bullseye but would probably get more into air as time went on.

ASchlem

Back to top Go down

Starter Air Pistol Empty Re: Starter Air Pistol

Post by spursnguns 12/16/2020, 3:55 pm

Hello ASchlem,

There are some good comments here....

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t16138-air-pistol-recommendation

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by ASchlem 12/16/2020, 6:24 pm

new or used? Can you wear out a LP10?

ASchlem

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 12/17/2020, 7:29 am

ASchlem wrote:new or used? Can you wear out a LP10?

APs are pretty reliable, but in the end are mechanical devices, so yes, they can need repair... and it can be relativly expensive... a car analogy would be it might need a new engine after three hundred thousand miles...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 12/17/2020, 8:49 am

Only seals, Scott at Pilkguns can fix them.

Intro gun ? Try Umarex, usually under $200, good quality.

After that, Daisy 747, 777, IZH 46, then you're in the Steyr, Morini class.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by jscot111 12/17/2020, 8:54 am

I have had an LP10 since 2004. I think you would be hard pressed to wear it out. I sent it to Pilkington Competition to have it resealed and checked over about a year ago and the bill was around $200. It is very adjustable and there great shooter's. If you don't shoot a ten it's your fault.
Scott

jscot111

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 12/17/2020, 10:06 am

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2020/12/the-av-46m-single-stroke-pneumatic-match-air-pistol-part-1/?fbclid=IwAR0rLwLTfh4-7Q1aUVRdMs9pneoR0pCWyCMA9gXBtwHXZQPktjYp4XVsLLU

Looks interesting
lablover
lablover

chiz1180 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 12/17/2020, 4:04 pm

Nothing wrong with the Izzy, but for SSP, I like the FWB, particularly the 65. The FWB 100 series are good SSP's as well. For PCP, Steyr and Morini are tops, but they are out of your price range and require a hand pump or scuba tank (preferred) which adds to the cost. If you don't mind messing with CO2, a good used FWB model 2 or 20 would be a good choice. The cylinders have to be charged from a tank and CO2 is somewhat temperature sensitive, but the pistols will shoot with the best of them.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Psween 12/17/2020, 4:41 pm

I have never owned or shot a PCP target pistol, so my advice may not be great, but I shoot an IZH 46M and really like it. Of course I got it almost 20 years ago for $250 brand new and those days are long gone.

That said, it has served me well for that whole time with zero maintenance required, no tanks or hoses or pumps to deal with, and more than adequate performance until you get up into Master class shooting (I never did).

The grips were crude and I had to rasp them to fit, but the trigger is very good and very adjustable, as are the sights. The only drawback I found is the pumping motion forces you to twist around and pay attention so you aren't pointing at your left side competitor's head, and a long practice session or 60 shot match can wear out your off arm. Given the current prices on these, I'd probably be inclined to look for a used FWB SSP or if I wasn't worried about the extras for PCP maybe a used Steyr in it's place.

Patrick

Psween

Back to top Go down

Post by ASchlem 12/17/2020, 9:54 pm

I think i will just wait for a used pcp. Buy once cry once.

ASchlem

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 12/17/2020, 10:13 pm

Just remember the cost of PCP will include, scuba tank and / or pump, hydro tests, scuba tank air fills and eventually after 10 years, new cylinders.  How close is your local dive shop for scuba tank fills and are they air pistol / air rifle friendly? 

Lots to think about.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by ASchlem 12/18/2020, 12:23 am

Thanks for reminding me of the additional cost. I use to dive quite a bit. I have a NAUI certification so getting a tank filled won't be an issue.

ASchlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 12/18/2020, 1:55 am

Are there new cylinders available for this Hammerli?
These are 20 years old, maybe 25
Starter Air Pistol AG-3
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 12/18/2020, 7:30 am

Jack H:

You'd have to check the manufacturer to get an answer.

Not to get into what generally becomes an exhaustive on line discussion about the 10 year rule for cylinders, the issue is that for ISSF competitions they go by the dates on the cylinder for the 10 year rule.

Most "basement" shooters tend to ignore the rule... mostly because its a competition rule I guess? Anyway, its up to the individual to determine how they want to proceed vis-à-vis replacing cylinders.

But PCP guns with out of date cylinders do not command the resale prices equal to those with in date cylinders.  

Have at it.

As to the original poster, I'd recommend that if you don't know if you like shooting AP, I'd start with a SSP and move up later if you like it.  SSP's tend to hold their value and may increase (quality used ones anyway).  And as for springers, the resale is limited except for FWB 65's / 80's. (some are going for about a grand or more on ebay for some reason??)

But if you like (or are dead set on) the  PCP route first, the Morini 162 EI is outstanding (like the electronic trigger for dryfiring and no battery issues with the new version); as well as any of the Steyrs (I've had the 10 and LP 50 as well.) If you want new, try Pilkington, they can help set you up with the right grip sizes in most cases. 

CR

CR10X

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 12/18/2020, 8:39 am

The cylinder rule only impacted major competition like the CAGP, formerly the Crossman, USAS Nationals, OTC Top Gun etc. Sponsored athletes typically had up to date equipment. 

It killed the hobbyists and Jr teams. Some bought new cylinders only to find they were already 4 years old. In some cases, it vetoed a perfectly good gun as cylinders simply were not available. That's when I quit.

Bulk CO2 is at much lower pressure and only has one disadvantage, but I didn't mind that. Air had only one advantage lMO

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by WillH 12/20/2020, 10:34 am

I'm considering a Steyr LP50 myself. This is the semi-auto 5 round model.  I'd be interested to know how good this pistol is for BE practice for sustained fire for those who have experience with this model.  Seems like it could be some help but lack of recoil would limit how well it transfers.   At the clubs I shoot I've noticed that many of the masters or above shoot AP as well - that seems to say something about shooting AP.
WillH
WillH

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 12/20/2020, 11:50 am

The trigger control transfers.  I put a dot on mine.Starter Air Pistol C014e410
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WillH 12/20/2020, 2:18 pm

Wow that's really cool Wobbley!  I like the dot on it.  How does the mount work on that?  Do you remove the rear and then add the mount where it was?
WillH
WillH

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 12/20/2020, 2:51 pm

Yes.  The previous owner did this.  A flat bottomed Weaver base had a longitudinal groove machined into it to mate with the rib on the pistol where the sight sits.  It shoots well.  I don’t.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down