Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sig P320 X5 Legion woes

+3
rreid
Asa Yam
Nightshift82
7 posters

Go down

Sig P320 X5 Legion woes Empty Sig P320 X5 Legion woes

Post by Nightshift82 12/25/2020, 8:21 pm

I tried out my new X5 legion this evening and noticed that the first round of each mag was centered, but then threw the next 4 shots into a group to the right.  I did this with 2 mags loaded with 5 rounds each and a distance of 50'.  I also rested the butt on the bench for stability.

A couple notes;

-I am a left handed shooter
-this is my first double stack pistol and it does feel large in my hand, unlike my Ruger MkIV 22/45 and Springfield RO that feel great in my hand.
-I'm at a lead only range shooting 124 grain DG coated RN over 3.9 grains of Shootersworld Clean Shot power with Federal 100 primers (But I THINK this doesn't have anything to do with the load)
Sig P320 X5 Legion woes Sig_gr10
Sig P320 X5 Legion woes Sig_gr12

Sig P320 X5 Legion woes Sig_ta10
Nightshift82
Nightshift82

Back to top Go down

Sig P320 X5 Legion woes Empty Re: Sig P320 X5 Legion woes

Post by Asa Yam 12/26/2020, 1:47 am

Nightshift82 wrote:A couple notes;

-I am a left handed shooter
-this is my first double stack pistol and it does feel large in my hand, unlike my Ruger MkIV 22/45 and Springfield RO that feel great in my hand
Am not the best of shooters, but the group seems to show the point of aim is being affected by "pushing" the pistol to the right after the first shot.  Grip size may be making a difference, believe the standard grip for an X5 is a "Medium".  (This may be stamped on the grip module, look under the screw hole for the flared magazine well accessory on the frame.)  Unfortunately, part of the "fix" may require purchasing another module.  While the X5 Legion module is tungsten-infused, older (non-Legion) units are not, so it may be possible to find a "small" module which does not cost $249.00.  Problem appears to be finding a "small" grip module, most of the ones found using a quick websearch appear to be "medium".

Below is a link to SIG's webpage for an X5 Legion grip module, at present, only the "medium" appears to be in stock.  ("Small" and "large" grips are listed as "out of stock".)  Note that there is a "notification" button which may be selected, when the selected grip is in stock, SIG will email people requesting "non-medium" size frames.

Link:  https://www.sigsauer.com/txg-grip-module.html

Suggest dry firing your Legion, it may be possible to see what is happening without expending ammunition.  Also, try moving trigger finger placement on the trigger, a small shift may be all that is required to address the issue.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Asa Yam on 12/27/2020, 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected misspelling.)

Asa Yam

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid 12/27/2020, 7:19 pm

Just as an experiment, try shooting some groups without resting the gun or letting it touch the bench at all.  I have 2 accurized Springfield xdm's, and neither will shoot a group resting on sandbags. My theory is that the polymer frame flexes slightly whenever it is rested on the bench. If I rest only my forearms or wrists on the sandbags I can get good groups at 50 yards with every shot on call. When I'm shooting offhand, I use a block of wood on the bench and rest only the trigger guard on it between shots.
rreid
rreid

Richard Ashmore likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by John McCormick 12/27/2020, 7:37 pm

You could also try firing single shots, as opposed to sustained fire. Fire one shot, then reset your grip and fire the next one. Do that five times and see if anything changes.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Post by Asa Yam 12/28/2020, 7:09 am

Found while reading "Shooting Sports USA" articles.  Link to article from Brian Zins on grip pressure affecting pistol shooting accuracy.  Read the article, view the embedded video.

Link:  https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2020/3/20/watch-diagnosing-pistol-grip-problems/

Asa Yam

Allen Barnett likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 12/28/2020, 9:44 am

I am right handed. When I first got my Sig P320 compact, all my groups would be off to the left. Not one shot centered and the others grouped to the left (similar to your experience, but opposite). After a lot of experience, I started to group the shots more to the center. I focused more attention to moving the trigger straight back to the rear without any side pressure. The advice to keep the pistol from touching the bench is good, also. I have medium sized hands and find the small grip module a better fit. I had to experiment with a lot of different bullets and charges, as well as, techniques to come up with good groups for the 9mm. I only tested them at 25 yards, so I don't know how they will shoot at 50 yards.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightshift82 12/30/2020, 11:09 pm

*Update*

My father just bought a 320 TXG X-change kit for his P320.  We put his brand new upper assembly on my lower this evening.  Shot straight and consistent, by both of us (he is a right handed shooter).  He also experienced the same issue I was having while shooting my X5 legion.  

Sig emailed me back while were at the range, and said that their techs think there might be an issue with the barrel.  So since trying my fathers slide and barrel on my FCU with good results, I emailed them back asking if Sig could just exchange my upper with a new one instead of me being without my pistol for who knows how long.  If they go for it, I would give their customer service a 5 star rating.
Nightshift82
Nightshift82

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 12/31/2020, 1:09 am

All the drills and technique above are good.  Here are two more ideas. 

Long ago my coach and mentor had me place a nickel by the front sight and dryfire without it falling off.  (you might have to be creative if there is not a good flat area up front, perhaps tape a small light weight shelf there)  The smaller the flat spot the better

After the dry hammer falls, hold position and hold the trigger back.  If there is sight movement as you press the trigger, and when the hammer falls, you should have seen it.  Hold the trigger a moment and keep watching the sight as you release the trigger.  It releasing the trigger moves the sight, you need to work on stopping that. 

The next part is for you to fix things where the sights don't move and the nickel does not fall off.  There is no easy answer to that.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightshift82 1/25/2021, 12:56 pm

It's been awhile, but Sig did sent me a new barrel.

Taget is at 50'

Sig P320 X5 Legion woes 20210110
Nightshift82
Nightshift82

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 1/25/2021, 5:25 pm

Don't rest the butt of the gun on anything other than your hands. If you must rest the gun on anything, then rest the dustcover area ( bottom in front of trigger guard) on a sand bag, but still grip it firmly, very firmly. Give that a try, then report back.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down