Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any list of scamers?

+4
flyer898
Tripscape
zanemoseley
r.tornello
8 posters

Go down

Any list of scamers? Empty Any list of scamers?

Post by r.tornello Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:07 pm

This might be the wrong  place for this. I wondered if there is a location here or any web site that compiles a list of known scammers. I received a note on my request re the MP532 an the name came up as a caution. I was wondering if there were other places that I could search to see if the name was in a scam listing.

Thanks,

Rick Tornello

Last edited by r.tornello on Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

Any list of scamers? Empty Re: Any list of scamers?

Post by zanemoseley Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:37 pm

Ask for a copy of their DL for your records and send a USPS MO to that name & address. That will stop most, if they scam you it's mail fraud. Also if you get a weird feeling ask for a photo of the item with a hand written note with your name or date on it.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:33 pm

If you are buying ask for specific photos.  Do not use DL as a reference, they can and have been faked. My coworker was scammed 3 grand on some pop show face to face where guy showed her DL, she took a photo and both DL and tickets were fake. Police did nothing. I suggest getting their first and last name, address and phone number. Run all 3 independently in Google, spokeo, whitepages, etc.. If name and address matches address on record and person can show you proof of pics, AND you can talk to them on the phone and they sound knowledgeable on guns, AND at least their area code shows same state and relative county (if not a full name match), only then do consider the transaction and post payment to the address on record. Bonus if they offer paypal merchandise transaction but you are too cheap to pay the fee.)) (Yes yes, not applicable to guns). Double bonus if they take personal or cashier's check, those can be traced by bank to a specific account. 

Yevgeny

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:42 pm

Forgot to mention - if you are buying based on a posted pic DO take that pic and do a google (or others) reverse image search. Do a google search on listing description and body. You have to use "  " in quotation to get exact match on text string. Often on Armslist they will put up a scam listing with items off Gunbroker. In fact I found about 5 scam listings this way in just 2 pages of search results this weekend. GB sold or selling price above 3K, Armslist scam listing 1200. Same pics and even description.

Yevgeny

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:50 pm

Finally, sorry to say this, but bullseye and sport shooting community is an easy prey. We love what we do and yes we can be very quick to pull the trigger, pun intended. Most of the guys are old timers and not as savy on computer as younger generation.  As scams get moreintricate it's not easy to detect them, world is changing.  However, younger generation is also not as knowledgeable about scams and even quicker to pull the trigger. I saved my son from few scams, but ultimately he had to learn on his own few times. So remember that scams DO target certain age groups, personalities and interests as an easy prey. Stay vigilant!

Yevgeny

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by r.tornello Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:22 am

Thanks guys I appreciate it. The name came up as a caution. I think he/she is on the Pilkington sponsored site.

When I was younger I got hosed once or twice.
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

Post by flyer898 Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:55 am

Thankfully scammers are rare here. I purchased four high-and target pistols advertised here during 2020. Each transaction went perfectly with prompt shipping after payment. And I am quite pleased with my new (to me) pistols.

flyer898

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:14 pm

Tripscape wrote:Forgot to mention - if you are buying based on a posted pic DO take that pic and do a google (or others) reverse image search. Do a google search on listing description and body. You have to use "  " in quotation to get exact match on text string. Often on Armslist they will put up a scam listing with items off Gunbroker. In fact I found about 5 scam listings this way in just 2 pages of search results this weekend. GB sold or selling price above 3K, Armslist scam listing 1200. Same pics and even description.

Yevgeny
However, I'd throw out that having the same pics and same/similar description isn't always a scam. I've post things to multiple sites with the same pics/description for greater exposure. Pistol stuff to here, targettalk.org, and gunbroker.com, etc.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:33 pm

Not at all. But having vastly different prices and locations is Wink

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:01 pm

Arms list is real bad unless it is a gun store. Either cops looking for criminals or criminals. If the price is too good to be true then it is. On this board look at new users with a skeptics eye. When i was looking for a PPQ there was a listing in NJ looking to sell the gun with 4 mags for $400. Maybe it was legit but too risky for me, and when I asked if he would drop the pistol off to my FFL he did not respond so I figured it was a scam.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by hg401 Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:26 am

I don't think the fear of mail fraud is the deterrent it once was.  Unless there is actual transfer of a firearm.  USPS MOs have been known to be counterfeited.  Postal inspectors are more focused on drugs and firearms than relatively small dollar fraud (at least based on discussion with a postal inspector a few years ago).

The best defense against fraud is dealing with someone who has a history of transactions - or even a history of participation - on a site such as this one.  A scammer is unlikely to invest the time and effort it takes to develop that history.  Unfortunately, that's also not fair to those who are new to the sport and their participation on this site.

hg401

Back to top Go down

Post by r.tornello Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:35 am

Yeah it's a crap shoot sometimes. I try to get in touch with the person and talk to them. That usually helps especially if I'm on the fence (pardon the pun).
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

Post by "plq" Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:49 am

+1 on being wary of Armlist - if you've ever posted pics of your guns on the internet, there's good chance someone's tried to sell them on Armslist.

On that note - Bing's image search has some useful features for isolating identifying details of the object you're trying to find, and it distinguishes exact matches from 'similar images' in its results.   

For example -  click Visual Search , bottom left

Last edited by "plq" on Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:37 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fixed link)

"plq"

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum