Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What happned to Colt??

2 posters

Go down

What happned to Colt?? Empty What happned to Colt??

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:52 am

I know that Colt has been passed around a few times in the last 20 years or so, but when did they make the business decision to produce crap? I have several older Colts, some are Series 70, some are Series 80, one Python, and a pre Seriees 70. Are are pretty primo with the exception of haveing to be worked if shooting for competition (with exception of the Python), but it sems that they have just made a decision of lowering quality. I guess it's just a sign of the times...

JS

Back to top Go down

What happned to Colt?? Empty Re: What happned to Colt??

Post by BE Mike Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:06 am

I quit being a Colt fan long ago when they decided to ignore the civilian market. IMHO, except for the AR-15, they haven't produced a nice product in decades and certainly nothing in quantity for civilians.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:13 am

I have a real soft spot for a real Gold Cup. Some thing about the integrated sight in the slide and the top rib just says class all the way to me. Today, the "Gold Cup" is nothing more than a standard government model with good sight slapped on it and a roll stamp on the side telling you what it is, nothing more. I think the only thing it shares with the original Gold Cup is the wide trigger, unless they nixed that as well. They ditched the Python and a high quality SAA. I guess they just weren't a good business decision since people don't like guns anymore. Wait till the North Koreans get here and well see what happens...I don't want to make this a political discussion, so that's the last you'll hear of that.

JS

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:18 am

As a past owner of a series 70 Colt Gold Cup, my opinion is that they are all show and no go.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:20 am

You are right, they need a complete work up in order to shoot well, but the finished product is very nice if you are willing to spend the money or time on it.

JS

Back to top Go down

Post by tonyg Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi BE Mike and Jscandale, I guess I was lucky and bought a good one at the
end of 1971. After I started shooting Bullseye in the middle of 1972, The
rangemaster at the LA GUN club in Redondo beach asked to test my Gold Cup.
He mounted it in his Ransom Rest and shot a series on 10 shot strings at 50 yds
using his match loads. The best 10 shot group measured 2.25"s ctc.

About 15 months ago, I sent the pistol to Wil O'Hara for a check up and a trigger
tune. He found the trigger pull still measured 3.5 lbs and the rest of the gun was
reasonably tight. The pistol is still being used in club matches by my son; until he
gets a custom Bullseye pistol capable of sub 2" grouping.

Ton

tonyg

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:02 am

tonyg wrote:Hi BE Mike and Jscandale, I guess I was lucky and bought a good one at the
end of 1971. After I started shooting Bullseye in the middle of 1972, The
rangemaster at the LA GUN club in Redondo beach asked to test my Gold Cup.
He mounted it in his Ransom Rest and shot a series on 10 shot strings at 50 yds
using his match loads. The best 10 shot group measured 2.25"s ctc.

About 15 months ago, I sent the pistol to Wil O'Hara for a check up and a trigger
tune. He found the trigger pull still measured 3.5 lbs and the rest of the gun was
reasonably tight. The pistol is still being used in club matches by my son; until he
gets a custom Bullseye pistol capable of sub 2" grouping.

Ton
I'm glad that you found a diamond.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down