Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W M52 Light Trigger FIX

+5
mustachio
bruce martindale
Sa-tevp
javaduke
Tim:H11
9 posters

Go down

S&W M52 Light Trigger FIX Empty S&W M52 Light Trigger FIX

Post by Tim:H11 2/12/2021, 3:40 pm

Last year ish .. not too terribly long ago, I bought a S&W Model 52-2. Gorgeous, clean, shot little and well taken care of. Upon my initial handling of the gun I found the trigger to feel incredibly light so I weighed it suspecting it would not pass the 2.5 pound legal limit for a Center Fire gun. No surprise - it weighed in at just under two pounds. I began to search for a fix. 

Some people said I could try bending in the sear spring since it’s a flat spring. I tried but was only able to get the weight up to just under 2.25 pounds. Another place suggested removing the trigger bow or trigger rebound spring and stretching it since it’s a coil spring. Another idea was to add some sort of shim, perhaps leather or rubber to cause the coil spring to be compressed further when installed and pressed causing an increase in weight. These attempts failed to achieve the weight I was needing. 

I sat, and studied over the gun and it’s design. I returned to working with the sear spring. It is thin and flimsy. Maybe I could replace it with a new one. I could not find one online that would’ve been different or of better quality. All I found were factory replacements. So I thought “what could I do to strengthen my spring?” 

I made a thin brass shim from a scrap 38 Special casing and installed it behind the sear spring. The pin that holds the sear spring in place on my gun is a snug fit and some work needed to be done to get the pin to fit with the added shim n place. But pins are replaceable. I didn’t worry. The spring and the shim are held tightly in place now. And the trigger breaks at 2.75 pounds. I’m comfortable with the quarter pound extra in case my scale is off, or a spring weakens over time or a sear wears down or something. If weighed at a match it should be over enough to still be nice but legal. 

I’m no gunsmith but I can tinker with the best of em. The gun function checks correctly, safety, trigger reset, magazine disconnect and all. And now my trigger is of legal weight. If you have a S&W Model 52 and have this same issue, perhaps this could be a modification worth looking in to or attempting. 

S&W M52 Light Trigger FIX Ea326d10

Sa-tevp, Wobbley and valbern67 like this post

Back to top Go down

S&W M52 Light Trigger FIX Empty Re: S&W M52 Light Trigger FIX

Post by javaduke 2/12/2021, 5:16 pm

If I'm not mistaken (and it's been a while since I messed up with M52), the drawbar plunger spring from M39 should fit the M52, and it is supposed to be heavier. Numrich has it in stock, part #11: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/smith-wesson/auto-pistols-sw/39-sw

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

valbern67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 2/12/2021, 5:23 pm

javaduke wrote:If I'm not mistaken (and it's been a while since I messed up with M52), the drawbar plunger spring from M39 should fit the M52, and it is supposed to be heavier. Numrich has it in stock, part #11: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/smith-wesson/auto-pistols-sw/39-sw

Thanks! I'll make a note of that and maybe someday I'll get around to trying it. I'm glad it's working for now though. The amount of times I had this gun apart and together again trying things and checking it.. yikes!

Sa-tevp likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 2/12/2021, 5:29 pm

Great post, as I have problems with my M52 losing trigger weight, which is really noticeable due to having a large Froneck trigger shoe installed. Since I bought a bag of S&W Gen 3 pistol parts a while ago my plan is to replace the M52 sear spring with another model's sear spring to add weight.

Stephen
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 2/13/2021, 6:59 pm

S&W M52 Light Trigger FIX Img_0515

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 2/13/2021, 7:00 pm

S&W M52 Light Trigger FIX Img_0516

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by mustachio 2/14/2021, 3:00 pm

bruce martindale wrote:S&W M52 Light Trigger FIX Img_0515
This worked for me, I just did not know how to describe it...You can use a piece of rubber bracelet...
mustachio
mustachio

bruce martindale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by valbern67 2/18/2021, 2:43 pm

Thanks! I'll make a note of that and maybe someday I'll get around to trying it. I'm glad it's working for now though. The amount of times I had this gun apart and together again trying things and checking it.. yikes!

I've had my 52-1 for a few months now and I haven't gotten up the nerve to take it apart yet.... Crying or Very sad

Val

alien
valbern67
valbern67

Back to top Go down

Post by hotshot9 2/22/2021, 4:16 pm

javaduke is correct in the thinking that a model 39 parts would work in a model 52. as S&W designed the gun from a model 39. good luck hunting parts! also is it me ? is not the 52s trigger the original roll trigger? has that same sort of staging does it not?

hotshot9

https://sonoma00@verizon.net

Back to top Go down

S&W M52 Light Trigger FIX Empty Wonderful suggestion--worth a try

Post by Ropate 2/22/2021, 5:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a love/hate relationship with my 52-2. I know the potential for accuracy is there but that trigger is so finicky. (Of course it's easy for me to blame an inanimate object but that's another story).  

The bottom line is compared to a 1911, I simply cannot shoot the 52-2 as consistently. I would like to try your solution.  

Mahalo from the Aloha State...

Ropate

Back to top Go down

S&W M52 Light Trigger FIX Empty Fred Mackaman - Old Bullseye Shooter

Post by Fred Mackaman 2/22/2021, 8:42 pm

I have had some experience on this subject, although It has been many years ago when M52's were really becoming popular.  I talked with Smith and Wesson as we wanted to take the stock trigger, which came at exactly 2.5-ponds, up to 3-pounds which would meet the center fire rule.  
Smith and Wesson sent me a bag of new sear springs for updating my M52, and those of my fellow shooting friends.  Exactly 3-pounds.  The ideal fix is to get some thicker flat spring stock, don't ask me for the thickness now, and make new springs.  They are simply flat springs with one bent tab.  The person who recommended using the M39 springs was on the right track.  Until I had talked to Smith and Wesson, we tried everything to get them up to 3-pounds, even stronger mainsprings.  Good luck, and good shooting!

Fred Mackaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down