Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Herrett Grips for the S&W Model 41

Go down

Herrett Grips for the S&W Model 41 Empty Herrett Grips for the S&W Model 41

Post by hg401 2/27/2021, 11:46 am

I'm not exactly sure which model of the Herrett grips these are but I believe the "Automatic Target".  They have be slightly modified at the top front edge of the left side grip by a prior owner (see photo with green circle).  They are too large for my smallish hands.  Grip screws included.  $75 plus shipping.
Attachments
Herrett Grips for the S&W Model 41 Attachment
Herretts 1-4.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(239 Kb) Downloaded 19 times
Herrett Grips for the S&W Model 41 Attachment
Herretts 5-8.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(271 Kb) Downloaded 16 times

hg401

Back to top Go down

Herrett Grips for the S&W Model 41 Empty Re: Herrett Grips for the S&W Model 41

Post by C7@71 2/27/2021, 1:10 pm

You are correct.  They are the Auto Target Grips for around $190.  These are not “STOCK” grips.  You order these to fit your hand.  The ordering procedure is to send in a photocopy of your hand or measure it.

If you follow the links and also the “Prices” and “Album” pages, you will find this.

http://www.herrettstocks.com/orderfrm.htm

I just purchased a “custom” made Italian Herrett knockoff on eBay for a Smith 629 revolver. I was not that “knowledgeable”, but got lucky.

In my case, I have a XX or XL hand.  I had to strip off the finish and then spend some quality time with a belt sander and sandpaper and knock off the heel rest or support on the right grip.

NOW, I am not a stock or grip guru, but I have reworked Herrett’s and knock offs for my 1911 and M41.  Spent a LOT of time studying and epoxied a spacer.

Bottom line, if anyone is interested, and your price is very attractive, I would want some critical dimensions as these are not like the Pardini or other grips that you can look at the size marking and then go to the charts and get the ranges.

I also do not doubt that if you have a small hand and these were made for my big right paw, that they would not be comfortable or fit.  The cheaper National Match are adjustable.  However, those Herrett’s lack that nice left grip thumb rest.  Fortunately, my nice adjustable M41 knock offs with the equivalent of the “target” left grip could be reworked with a custom epoxy spacer and now the medium to small grips fit my XXL hand and I did not have to refinish.

After I reworked the Smith knockoffs, which are copied from the revolver equivalent of the Herretts, I just stained and put on several coats of Tung (Casey’s would have worked) Oil and they turned out great.  A shooting buddy and I can interchange...usually, but with the style that you have, his large/XL did not work at all for him

Please do not take this as “ad stomping”, just some feedback and experience from one that has custom gripped 3 target pieces and learned a lot is the past few years.

Had I not had my hybrid M41 grips, you and I, assuming you were amenable, would be  exchanging emails and measurements...

GLWS

C7@71

Back to top Go down

Post by hg401 3/1/2021, 9:33 am

I guess it's like buying a suit.  Some people get one custom made that fits perfectly and others find one off the rack that fits well. 

Fitting gets complicated.  My palm (length and width) falls in the medium category but my fingers are short.  I suppose I should spring for custom fitted grips but the grip I'm using now seems to work well.  It's similar to the Herrett National Match but is checkered and has more of a thumb rest.

hg401

Back to top Go down

Post by hg401 3/2/2021, 7:52 pm

Sold

hg401

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: