Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1911 trigger shoes and info needed for .22 convesaion

4 posters

Go down

1911 trigger shoes and info needed for .22 convesaion Empty 1911 trigger shoes and info needed for .22 convesaion

Post by Froneck Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:22 pm

Hi Guys, I've been very busy but have made shoes for those requesting them. It's getting near the outdoor season, anyone wanting shoes let me know now before the season starts. I'm just finishing a few that add long length to trigger pull, so as to lower the weight it looks like Swiss cheese! Added length .350" weight .5+ ounce standard shoe .2 ounce. If you want shoes e-mail me at FSCO@pa.net so I can get them made before season starts, I did buy a long length of Aluminum Bronze so I have quite a bit before expected price increase. Price has increased  2x after I purchased the bar and I expect it will again soon but I do have quite a bit of it. I am very busy working on a .22 conversion in my spare time and want to get it completed before the outdoor season here up north. I do have the Nelson Conversion though I haven't fired a shot out of it yet. I'm remembering issues I seen at ranges when they were used. Would like any info on function that you might have had. I've heard accuracy is good but if you had issues with it let me know. Currently my barrel is made using a .22 liner from Brownells. I 'm not concerned with accuracy at this time, function is the reason to use barrel liner. Afterward I will have dimensions to make barrels from High end barrel makers. My barrel will fit only my slide which I expect to be Titanium though first is being made with Aluminum for function and ease of machining also low material cost afterwards Titanium slide can be made from dimensions taken from the functioning aluminum slide.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

1911 trigger shoes and info needed for .22 convesaion Empty Re: 1911 trigger shoes and info needed for .22 convesaion

Post by mspingeld Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:37 pm

Mine functions great but I have had issues. Mainly from the mag catch. Sometimes the mag sits high and interferes with the slide. On a 9mm I had it was rubbing on the ejector which is more centered on a 9 than a 45. Same fix; file the upper part of the mag catch notch on the Nelson mag so it sits a little lower. Then it won't touch the ejector or slide. Caution!: Too low and the slide won't pick up a round consistently. That being said, it's easy to do. Just file a little and test. The only other issues I've heard of were fixed by changing recoil springs.

Nelson accuracy is variable. Some great right out of the box, others...not so much. But, if you relined the barrel, then, as you say, not an issue.

Hope this helps.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

1911 trigger shoes and info needed for .22 convesaion Empty Re: 1911 trigger shoes and info needed for .22 convesaion

Post by Sa-tevp Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:54 pm

Shooting Slow Fire my Nelson grouped just like my 45, but after a friend crowned the barrel on a lathe it grouped like a 22 with CCI SV. No other problems.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:51 pm

As to accuracy, I didn't reline a Nelson barrel, I made the unit from one piece. No the ejector and scope mount are separate but the barrel and lower lug are one piece not screwed together as the Nelson. I used a sleeve for test purposes so as to get the conversion to function properly and reliability prior to cutting up a high end barrel blank.
 What are the group sizes? Is there any vertical stringing? Any reliability issues? Feeding problems? My concern is how many times in a 900 match an alibi can be attributed to feed problems?
 One use for this conversion will be for my son Adam, he retired from the Army AMU and is thinking of using a conversion for .22 though he does have a 208S. So it will have to be up to High Master Standards that has broken 2650 quite a few times even left handed.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:14 pm

I have/had 3 different Nelsons. Most feeding problems that I have seen with a Nelson are magazine or mag catch related. A tuned dedicated lower and good magazines solve this Keeping the chamber clean eliminates most other reliability issues. All the examples I have group well, definitely inch to sub-inch with good ammo. 

A different conversion design is intriguing as the Nelsons/Marvels are pretty good.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:24 pm

Frank, is this project a one-of for Adam? Or something you're thinking of making commercially?

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:18 am

Yes Adam is my prime concern, but I want one too plus my other son Frank Jr. I'm sure that if it works well and other want one that I will make a few. Most .22s are quite accurate. As long as the group is X ring anything better is only a slight improvement. Function is quite important to me and especially Adam. When I was shooting a 208S the only function problem I had was caused by the Ammo. CCI was quite reliable as well as the high end European stuff. I don't know why but I have problems with my AW93, I have a few recoil springs I'm going to try when the weather warms up.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down