Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing to wet tumbling with stainless steel pins?

+18
Gravelyctry
David R
thessler
Schaumannk
rburk
10sandxs
spyer40
Pbmoser1954
fc60
chopper
Al
Jack H
Wobbley
straybrit
DA/SA
James Hensler
james r chapman
beeser
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Changing to wet tumbling with stainless steel pins? Empty Changing to wet tumbling with stainless steel pins?

Post by beeser Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:18 am

Using corn cob media in a vibratory tumbler has served me well over the years but after 9 cycles of cleaning the 45ACP cases used were looking pretty bad.  The buildup of case lube mixed with soot left inside was starting to take its toll.  I think it even contributed to feeding problems.  I started to just wipe the crude off each cartridge but that got old quick so decided to try wet tumbling with stainless steel pins.  I should get the setup in about a week.  In the meantime I went through the boring process of depriming a batch of cases.  Anyone else face this dilemma and switched to wet tumbling?  Any new lessons to learn in the process?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Changing to wet tumbling with stainless steel pins? Empty Re: Changing to wet tumbling with stainless steel pins?

Post by james r chapman Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:43 am

Depriming isn’t necessary if you properly dry with an heating element.

Deprime if your anal and have time.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

valbern67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Changing to wet tumbling with stainless steel pins? Empty Re: Changing to wet tumbling with stainless steel pins?

Post by James Hensler Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:44 am

I have nothing but time so I tumble right out of the range brass bag then deprime and tumble one more time
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:47 am

Sounds like your vibratory tumbler may be a bit weak. Not enough vibration/agitation with light duty ones.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:09 pm

DA/SA wrote:Sounds like your vibratory tumbler may be a bit weak. Not enough vibration/agitation with light duty ones.
It's an Ultra Vibe 18 by Thumler's Tumbler.  It did a good job when the cases were fired less than 6 or so times.  But gradually the cases were coming out a little dirtier even with new media perhaps because of the buildup of carbon on the insides.  I still plan to use the vibratory tumbler but intend to use wet tumbling ever so often for that extra cleaning.

Side note:  I planned to retire my brass after 10 firings but just read somewhere that they can be used for up to 20 firings.  Any truth to this?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:20 pm

I gave up counting the firings for bullseye 45 ACP cases years ago (note - for practice and short line that is - long line still gets newer cases) and just wait until they show signs of failure. The loads we use are so light that we are hardly straining them.

I use the Dillon cleaner and regularly change the medium every year whether it needs it or not (extra points for recognizing the origin of that :-) ).

I'm actually looking at going wet/pins but for health reasons now that my reloading area is in a room and not the garage so I want to keep the dust down.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:33 pm

Don’t decap and don’t use the pins.  Makes no significant difference for pistol ammo.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:51 pm

Wobbley wrote:Don’t decap and don’t use the pins.  Makes no significant difference for pistol ammo.
Interesting the pins not making a difference.  I'll give it a try.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:09 pm

beeser wrote:
Wobbley wrote:Don’t decap and don’t use the pins.  Makes no significant difference for pistol ammo.
Interesting the pins not making a difference.  I'll give it a try.

I have switched over to wet tumble with just blue dish soap.  I might try the car wash soap later. 
But I do decap first.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Changing to wet tumbling with stainless steel pins? Empty corn cob media

Post by Al Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm

beeser wrote:Using corn cob media in a vibratory tumbler has served me well over the years but after 9 cycles of cleaning the 45ACP cases used were looking pretty bad.  The buildup of case lube mixed with soot left inside was starting to take its toll.  I think it even contributed to feeding problems.  I started to just wipe the crude off each cartridge but that got old quick so decided to try wet tumbling with stainless steel pins.  I should get the setup in about a week.  In the meantime I went through the boring process of depriming a batch of cases.  Anyone else face this dilemma and switched to wet tumbling?  Any new lessons to learn in the process?
Although this issue is already addressed with the decision to go with wet tumbling.  I gave up using corn cob decades ago. When it's new it puts a "like new" shine on the brass.  However it deteriorates fast, and after several uses it ceases to clean and leaves a gunky layer on the brass. 

I went to using "Lizard bedding" (ground up walnut shells) from just about any pet store. Lasts longer than corn cob and you'll pay less for 50# than you would for 10# of media from reloading companies, so you don't feel bad about throwing it out after 10-12 uses. If a "like new brass" shine is important to you, this isn't the product for you. It gets it nice & clean but leaves a duller finish.

I would hang onto your brass until it starts developing cracks. That can be anywhere from 15-50 loadings. All depends on how much you work the brass & how hot the load is. After about 3-4 loadings it gets delegated to the practice brass buckets, but unless cracked, I never throw it.

Allen

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:27 pm

I tried the walnut shells toward the beginning of using the vibratory tumbler but too found the case finish to be dull.  That's why I stuck with the corn cob media. 

Good suggestion separating the practice brass from the newer ones for competition.  I'll make that part of my routine.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:06 pm

Walnut shells from Harbor Freight, I think it might be a little coarser than others. I would put 3-4 oz's of paint thinner in also and turn on machine for 5 mins before putting cases in. Cleans them good.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:30 pm

Greetings,

What I like about the pin method is that the inside of the case gets cleaned along with the primer pockets. Yes, I decap and size my brass on a single stage press.

The Palmolive dish soap I use is similar to the soap solution manufacturers use to form metal products.

Enough of the Palmolive remains on the case to ease the sizing effort.

It's your choice, personally, I am sold on pins.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Pbmoser1954 Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:59 pm

I  used a Lyman vibrating Tumblr with walnut shells. I recently purchased a wet Tumblr and all I use is Dawn dish soap and  lemeshine.  I did try the stainless steel pins which work very well. Just a little more of a hassle. So I don’t use them, just wet tumble. I’m very pleased with the results.

Last edited by Pbmoser1954 on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pbmoser1954
Pbmoser1954

Back to top Go down

Post by spyer40 Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:26 pm

I went wet from vibratory because my blood lead levels were going up each year.  Found it was more of a PITA with the pins than dry and even using car wax they weren't as smooth going through my Dillon.  Tried Hornady One Shot which was better but just another step.  My blood level didn't change this year so I'm going back to dry, it's easier.  Wet does make shiny cases though

spyer40

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:32 pm

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

What I like about the pin method is that the inside of the case gets cleaned along with the primer pockets. Yes, I decap and size my brass on a single stage press.

The Palmolive dish soap I use is similar to the soap solution manufacturers use to form metal products.

Enough of the Palmolive remains on the case to ease the sizing effort.

It's your choice, personally, I am sold on pins.

Cheers,

Dave
Do you still use case lube or rely solely on the soap residue?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:57 pm

Wet, no pins, half teaspoon lemishine 3 teaspoons dawn. Tumble 2 hrs (or 1), rinse with cold water, spread on towel to dry with fan. Nice shinny... bit of spray on case lube shake up and load.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:48 pm

If you do decide to try pins, be sure you have the FA magnet.  Those little guys are insidious, the magnet picks them up.

I also use the dawn liquid and lemishine, only need about 1/4 tsp of the lemishine to get them shiny.

I am sold on Hornady one shot.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:46 pm

If you use pins it is best to deprime first.  The pins will knock out primers and partially knock out primers which can gum up your case feeder and the first station of your progressive press.  

If you want clean primer pockets and no primer pocket residue  dropping onto your press, deprime first.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by thessler Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:19 am

Maybe a dumb question, but I'm trying to learn.  If you use a wet tumbler with no pins do you mean no tumbling media at all, just soap ?
Thanks , Tom

thessler

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:43 am

thessler wrote:Maybe a dumb question, but I'm trying to learn.  If you use a wet tumbler with no pins do you mean no tumbling media at all, just soap ?
Thanks , Tom
 Yes  Dawn

Last edited by Jack H on Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:44 am

Jack H wrote:
thessler wrote:Maybe a dumb question, but I'm trying to learn.  If you use a wet tumbler with no pins do you mean no tumbling media at all, just soap ?
Thanks , Tom
 Yes  Dawn

Name reminder.

Changing to wet tumbling with stainless steel pins? 489d4d10
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

kjanracing likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:57 am

james r chapman wrote:
 Yes  Dawn   I saw her on stage playing the little theatre at Knott's Berry Farm in the 1950s. 

Name reminder.

Changing to wet tumbling with stainless steel pins? 489d4d10
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:34 am

I used to put pennies on the train track there back in the ‘50’s
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:14 am

james r chapman wrote:I used to put pennies on the train track there back in the ‘50’s

Well.  It's no wonder you went to Hell Michigan
Jack H
Jack H

james r chapman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next