Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pistol box - Strong Case short review

+6
tenx9
ShooterSteve
Wingshot
saltydog452
DavidR
paperseeker
10 posters

Go down

Pistol box - Strong Case short review Empty Pistol box - Strong Case short review

Post by paperseeker Wed May 01, 2013 9:37 am

I've been using a range bag for the longest time. I broke down and bought a pistol box. After looking around at used ones and some home grown boxes, I even contemplated making my own, I bought one of the Strong Case boxes from
Bullseyegear.com

One of the guys in my league bought the 3 gun case. He was talking about getting the optional drawer for it because it just wasn't quite big enough. I opted for the 4 gun case. It's bigger than I thought. My large spotting scope fits below with no problems. I have to say, the case seems really well made and it isn't that heavy. It will be hard not to resist the temptation to overload it, since there is so much room.
Pistol box - Strong Case short review Pistolboxopen

When it's open there are two thumb screws you tighten to keep the wind from blowing it closed. They include rubber mats for the tray and lower section. Two keys are included for the lock. It's already had it's first trip to the range and it is the biggest box there. Everyone was pretty interested in it.Bullseyegear.com
paperseeker
paperseeker

Back to top Go down

Pistol box - Strong Case short review Empty Re: Pistol box - Strong Case short review

Post by DavidR Wed May 01, 2013 10:19 am

Its a nice case but when loaded it is very heavy, I sold my four and bought a three but its still heavy compared to my old gun ho 3 gun case.
I now carry my guns and ammo in a Dillon gun bag and use the box for all the other stuff.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pistol box - Strong Case short review Empty Re: Pistol box - Strong Case short review

Post by saltydog452 Wed May 01, 2013 9:43 pm

As you age, the box will accumulate more stuff and appear to get heavier. And the distance from the parking lot to the firing line will seem to get longer.

A shoulder strap is a good thing.

My old box was home built from a set of instructions printed in the American Rifleman

I finally had to add a strap about 15 years ago. Damnifiknow why I waited so long.

salty

saltydog452

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 01, 2013 10:09 pm

I recently bought a "scratch and dent" 3 gun Strong Case from Bullseye and could not be happier. Really well made!

Chip

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingshot Thu May 02, 2013 12:33 am

I tend to always take too much "stuff" when going to the range. When I received the 3 gun case from a member here (thanks again!) I was careful to stick with just the necessities to keep the weight manageable. I have a small mil surplus tool bag that I tote my ammo and a small tool set in that stays in the truck. The box is awesome and its so much better having everything required to shoot in a single container and to have the luxury of the scope at eye level.
Wingshot
Wingshot

Back to top Go down

Post by ShooterSteve Fri May 03, 2013 5:27 pm

After getting back into BE a couple months ago, I settled on a 3-gun Strong Box. I shoot once a week in 600 pt. matches and this box suits me well. The captured screw for locking down the lid is a nice touch, I use to use a c-clamp on my Gun-Ho box. It is well built and I don't think I will ever wear it out. Steve

ShooterSteve

Back to top Go down

Pistol box - Strong Case short review Empty great box

Post by tenx9 Sat May 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Having used a 4 gun Pachymer (wrong spelling, I know) for about 20 years, I know what heavy is. Just bought the new 2 gun Strong box and I love it. You can't fit alot of stuff in there, but it's pretty light compared to what I was using. There are a couple of minuses. First off, If you leave the spotting scope on the box, you really can't fit centerfire ammo in it. So, you have take an additional smaller bag for the ammo. Also, I am only 5'7" tall and with the scope bracket straight up, I still have to bend over alittle to look thru the scope. The quality of the hinges and locks is very high, and the scope bracket and carry strap comes with the box. For $10 I bought a magnetic holder with an adhesive back. Can't really screw a magnet on there, like the older boxes. Its small and compact and I think its a great deal.

tenx9

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Mon May 06, 2013 10:51 am

is that the little 169.00 one you are talking about?
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pistol box - Strong Case short review Empty small box

Post by tenx9 Wed May 08, 2013 9:39 am

Yes, thats the one.

tenx9

Back to top Go down

Post by Yiogo Tue May 14, 2013 10:31 am

I would have bought one but I made one instead. It's just a simple box with a lid. The lid has a magnetic catch and a screw eye to keep it open. Shot a winter and spring league with it. I'll clamp the case to the bench for the outdoor summer league to keep it stable in the wind. I bought a Hebard scope mount (not shown) for it and the scope swings into the bottom. It will hold 4 guns. Both shelves slide out. It weighs 10 lbs with 2 guns in it. I only shoot matches at my local club so long distance carrying is not an issue. Yiogo
Pistol box - Strong Case short review IMG_0813_zps3faf372c

Yiogo

Back to top Go down

Post by DRNurse1 Tue May 14, 2013 11:31 am

Still using my FiL's six gun box. (no scopes only open sights). I am considering a 2 gun strong box if I can find one with the add-on drawer so I can put my optical guns inside. I like what I have seen regarding the strong boxes: someone backed into one at a match and the contents were fine, hinges survived but outer polish scratched (not bad vs that Doge Ram Truck!). and I have seen one blown off a bench (man it was windy THAT day, and no it was not the same guy with the truck). Same results regarding damage: continued to function although I cannot say the same for the scope it landed on. Surface scratches only.

DRNurse1

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Tue May 14, 2013 11:43 am

You dont need the added bottom drawer to hold scoped guns, its just for carrying more junk, two of my friends added them and latter took them off because of the extra weight.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Tue May 14, 2013 1:13 pm

It's really handy for a box to hold all for the match-practice. As the years pass some of us find we have to economize in weight & size for physical limitations. I started with a 4 gun redwood box made by a local boat builder here and sold at Perry for a number of yrs. Designed as a Pachmayr it set you back $15 US. $17.50 got you a drawer and a strong leather strap, buckle and pad. They were a common sight. Over the yrs I cut it to a no drawer, 2 scoped box.
Finally, my Dad (cabinet maker) and I designed and built a small box to a strict plan. He used 1/4" finished plywood w/ small furring strip supports for strength. It holds 2 guns flat in foam and has 1 fairly generous shelf, with a Hebard mtd small light scope. I have used it since the early 90's and it has held up well. I usually carry 1 gun and .22 ammo in it,1 or 2 cased guns, and an ammo bag. What and where to carry is a work in progess.
Ron
nolo ilegetimi carborundrum !

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Tue May 14, 2013 9:04 pm

The strong box will fit scoped guns in the gunrack. even tall ones.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down