Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hearing Protection

+15
chopper
Wobbley
pgg
Kp321
mspingeld
PhotoEscape
dlevasse
Dcforman
beeser
mikemyers
Thin Man
apipeguy
Oleg G
BE Mike
CrankyThunder
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hearing Protection Empty Hearing Protection

Post by CrankyThunder 3/20/2021, 8:29 am

Hi guys: 

tried to search and find what has been discussed recently but does not look like we have evaluated any hearing protection for over a year or so. 

My good old howard leights are getting worn, the vinyl earcups are cracking and beginning to irritate my head.  

Since I shoot up  to four matches a week, comfort and performance are more important then cost.  Looking at the bluetooth option for lawn mowin since I got a new place that needs the lawn mowed.  

Looking at the Peltor 500 tactical sport model, appears to be the best according to the online reviews and from other forums.  

Not sure I am interested in the in the ear electronic ear plugs.  Seeing how we shoot bullseye and often calling the matches myself, I appreciate being able to confirm hearing protection with the muffs with a simple glance down along the line.  

So, what are you guys using, whats the bestest, and what models should I stay away from. 

Regards, 
Crankster
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Hearing Protection Empty Re: Hearing Protection

Post by BE Mike 3/20/2021, 8:59 am

I've been using the Howard Leight Impact muffs for years. You do know that you can get replacement gel ear seals, right? I've heard good things about the Sordin. I've known people who have the Pro Ears ProSlim Gold and liked them. Both of the latter muffs cost over $200.00, but if that stimulus check is burning a hole in your pocket...
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 3/20/2021, 9:01 am

Crankster,

I have both Peltor Sport Tactical 500 and Howard Leight Impact Pro. To me, the ONLY advantage of the Peltors is Bluetooth. Other than that, it's Howard Leights hands down. For me it comes down to two issues:

1. Comfort - after about an hour, Peltors begin to hurt the top of my head. This gets especially distracting during a full 2700 match. I can wear the Howard Leights for the entire day without any discomfort at all.

2. Actual hearing protection. For me, Howard Leights provide a much better level of sound dampening than Peltors. While training at the range, I don't have to wear the earplugs with Howard Leights and I always do with the Peltors (when the range is sparsely occupied). During a match I wear plugs after the .22 portion with both headphones.

Thus, if Bluetooth is the overriding factor for you, get the Peltors. If you can put up with the wired connection from the Howard Leights to your phone / MP3 player, I recommend the Howard Leights with no reservations. As always YMMV.

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by apipeguy 3/20/2021, 9:11 am

I used to use Peltors but it seemed that I had to buy new ones almost every year as the electronics would just die. That was over 12 years ago and they may be much better now. Bought my first set of MSA Sordins and after about a dozen years the volume on the electronics was just not as loud as they used to be and I bought another pair. The first pair is still quite good and I keep them in my range bag for when I bring a new shooter to the range.
apipeguy
apipeguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thin Man 3/20/2021, 10:14 am

MSA Sordins are very comfortable. I wear them over a set of foam earplugs. With the volume adjustment, I can hear range commands fine and the noise suppression is good.

Thin Man

jjfitch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/20/2021, 11:22 am

Oleg G wrote:......Actual hearing protection. For me, Howard Leights provide a much better level of sound dampening than Peltors. While training at the range, I don't have to wear the earplugs with Howard Leights and I always do with the Peltors (when the range is sparsely occupied). During a match I wear plugs after the .22 portion with both headphones.......
I have tried several times to find something better than my Howard Leight Impact Pro - with no success.  My only criteria was hearing protection.  They are also comfortable, and with the electronic circuitry turned on, I can easily carry on a conversation with someone, or hear range commands.  

I'm completely open to finding something better, but when I get to the specifications, I haven't yet found any reason to change.

Anyone here know what "Hickock45" uses?  Small,  easy to put on or remove, and with all the shooting he does, I imagine good earmuffs would be more important to him than to most people.  I suspect they were custom fitted to the size and shape of his ears, and they would be expensive, but I doubt anything like that comes with electronics to hear "normal" sound.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 3/20/2021, 11:49 am

After an exhaustive search for hearing protection I finally gave up and purchased a Peltor 3M ComTac V.  What I was looking for was something with good hearing protection but able to hear range commands.  Build quality was also important to me.  I think the Peltor falls short of overall hearing protection compared to other headsets but range commands and background sounds come through loud and clear.  They seem to made very well too.  The Peltor also has the ability to boost the background sound when using ear plugs.  I haven't tried this feature yet and that might improve overall hearing protection.  The only downside to the Peltor is the price, which in the end didn't bother me if it proves to be effective.  I'll continue to use my Peltor non-electronic headset in practice sessions as it has excellent hearing protection and is very comfortable to wear.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 3/20/2021, 12:13 pm

You all reminded me I really need to replace my basic, 10 year old Howard Leights. Just ordered the Sordin Supreme Pro. Got them for $217 with the gel cups and free shipping from SRS Tactical. Hoping I like them! Seems pricy, but I'm only 39, and would like to be able to hear for years to come!

Dave

Dcforman

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/20/2021, 12:27 pm

I would be interested if there are other earmuffs better than these:

https://www.howardleightshootingsports.com/collections/activity-range/products/impact-pro-sound-amplification-electronic-shooting-earmuff-black-grey 

This earmuff has been independently tested using ANSI standards, ensuring the 30 dB NRR has been confirmed and can be trusted to deliver the appropriate level of protection.

Amazon sells them for $56; according to the web page, I bought mine in 2016.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Amplification-Electronic-R-01902/dp/B007BGSI5U/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Howard+Leight+impact+pro&qid=1616257493&sr=8-2

For only $20, I can get new ear pads - I might do that this week.  

https://www.amazon.com/PROHEAR-Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Earmuffs/dp/B0822RGZH8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Howard+Leight+impact+pro&qid=1616257493&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExV1IySllSNkU5NVo4JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDMxMTA1M1JVSlo5OTdLTkc5VyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTYwMDIxNzYxQzJFQ0Q0NEFSJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by dlevasse 3/20/2021, 6:35 pm

This is hard to explain I am looking for hearing protection that will pick up the sound that is safe for my ears and block the sound that is bad for my ears but send the good level sound by blue tooth to my hearing aids. My current electronic muffs sends the sound to the inside of my muffs but my hearing aids are behind my ears and the muffs tend to block the sound. i hope this makes sense.

dlevasse

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 3/20/2021, 6:46 pm

My vote goes to MSA Sordin Supreme Pro!  Best protection and the most comfortable muffs I've ever tried.  I have some others, i.e. Impact Pro with OEM caps replaced with after marker gel caps, - no comparison with MSA Sordin's.  It is pricey, yes.  But it is worth the money.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/20/2021, 8:17 pm

People in various web sites are trying to say that the NRR rating of 18 or 19 is misleading, and these ear muffs are better than that, but if that is true, they should update that rating.  They may be great for comfort, and great for allowing people to hear other sounds (range commands), but the main purpose of shooting muffs is to protect one's hearing.  

I read enough about Howard Leight to trust their NRR levels, and I haven't yet found anyone saying the number is inflated.  Maybe the others are adequate - that may or may not be the case.  I will try to search for someplace that tests many different brands, and see what readings they come up with.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 3/20/2021, 8:30 pm

@dlevasse Depends on the severity of your hearing loss. I take my hearing aids out when shooting and wear molded plugs and electronic muffs. The muffs (Leight Impact Sport-not Bluetooth) amplify the "good" sound well enough that I can have a conversation and hear the range commands. Although they will filter the "bad" sounds when on, I still usually turn them off while actually shooting.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/20/2021, 8:37 pm

I read something similar to the link I'll post below - it went into great detail about shooters and hearing protection, and until the very end it wasn't much of a sales pitch.  I also remember searching for something better, with no success.

It has a lot of useful information regardless of what brand of shooting ear muffs a person might select, and it emphasizes that in extreme situations a combination of ear plugs and ear muffs are the most effective when necessary.

https://www.howardleightshootingsports.com/blogs/in-the-news/top-10-best-shooting-ear-protection

I haven't thought about this much once I made a decision.  I haven't had any luck finding a comparison test of all the recommended brands.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3/21/2021, 1:28 am

Thanks Dave and Alex - I just ordered a set of Sordin's from SRS.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 3/21/2021, 10:19 am

The biggest factor is how well the muffs seal against your head and around the eyeglass ear pieces. The seals need to be easily replaceable because they do get hard. I have a set of Leigh’s that have gotten too hard. 
Personally, I have been using a set of David Clark’s that I bought from Gil Hebard in the early 70’s. New seals are still available, they last me about ten years depending on how  much I perspire.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by pgg 3/21/2021, 8:56 pm

If you're not sold on muffs -

https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-R-Custom-Molded-Earplugs/dp/B002XULPSQ/

Pro: $12. Superb noise reduction. Comfortable enough to wear for 8+ hours at a time.

Con: Superb noise reduction might make it hard to hear stuff you want to hear.

Squirt the goo deep into your ear with a syringe to get a good mold, let it set 24 hours, trim the end a bit, done. By far the best and most comfortable ear pro I've ever had. Doesn't affect cheek weld on rifles either.

pgg

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 3/22/2021, 9:05 am

mikemyers wrote:open to finding something better, but when I get to the specifications, I haven't yet found any reason to change.

Anyone here know what "Hickock45" uses?  Small,  easy to put on or remove, and with all the shooting he does, I imagine good earmuffs would be more important to him than to most people.  I suspect they were custom fitted to the size and shape of his ears, and they would be expensive, but I doubt anything like that comes with electronics to hear "normal" sound.
I used to be supplied with the ones that Hickok45 uses at a former loud workplace. I didn't think that they were comfortable nor that effective. Here is what he uses: https://www.magidglove.com/howard-leight-qb2hyg-quiet-bands-hearing-protectors-qb2hyg
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 3/22/2021, 11:44 am

I just picked up a set of these.  They’re in the ear plugs with amplification/compression.  I got them because I want to use the Bullseye App on my phone (via Bluetooth) AND I find the normal headsets aren’t quite enough.  I am planning to wear a set of muffs over top of these to supplement the plugs.  When I get to use them, I’ll report back.

https://www.walkersgameear.com/razor-xv-3-0-headset/
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 3/23/2021, 11:15 am

I like Pro Ears Gold. I went through Peltor electronics 3 times and didn't get any satisfaction from the company for any replacement because of their warranty. I've never had trouble with the Gold, I personally believe their electronics superior, they work and on their 4th year. The fit for my head is great no pressure points, comfortable for 2700s. They provide noise reduction rating of 30.
 Their passive line is great also, I have the Ultra Pro which have a NRR of 30.
 If I were to shoot rifles, I would get their slimmer models as the above 2 models are bigger and might interfere with the cheek.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by apipeguy 3/23/2021, 8:06 pm

dlevasse wrote:This is hard to explain I am looking for hearing protection that will pick up the sound that is safe for my ears and block the sound that is bad for my ears but send the good level sound by blue tooth to my hearing aids. My current electronic muffs sends the sound to the inside of my muffs but my hearing aids are behind my ears and the muffs tend to block the sound. i hope this makes sense.
I wear hearing aids that are behind my ears, too. My Sordins with gel cups are great.
apipeguy
apipeguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 4/1/2021, 12:30 pm

Just wanted to give an update... Received my Sordin Supreme Pro's with gel cups. Ordered from SRS Tactical on Saturday, shipped Monday, received Wednesday. Love them so far! This is my first pair of electronic muffs. It would be hard to back, honestly.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 4/1/2021, 1:22 pm

I too received my new set of Sordin Supreme Pro's from SRS promptly a few days ago. Tried them yesterday - supremely comfortable - audio is extremely clear, had to turn down to very low volume, otherwise too many distractions! Need a few sessions to get used to the background noise, but, so far I am very pleased.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmitch996 4/2/2021, 9:36 am

+1

MSA Sordin Supreme with gel ear seal, not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Bmitch996

Back to top Go down

Post by spyer40 4/2/2021, 4:40 pm

I have a pair of Peltor 500's that I put the gel cups on. Work pretty good and like the Bluetooth so I can play music. Also have the green eep-100 3M Peltor plugs which work great including rifle.

spyer40

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next