Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol

+16
jm7480
Jon Eulette
Jack H
Gary Collette
Nightshift82
Foundryratjim
Texasref
Allgoodhits
rich.tullo
SonOfAGun
Olde Pilot
aub1957
Al
cdrt
James Hensler
CO1Mtn
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol Empty Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol

Post by CO1Mtn Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:18 am

If you have time, please give me your opinion on this pistol.

I'm specifically looking at this model:

https://ruger.com/products/markIV2245/specSheets/40107.html

This is the 22/45, with a 5.5" barrel and 8" sight radius. One drawback is that it has a polymer frame.

I would install this accurizing kit:

https://volquartsen.com/products/1139-pistol-competition-kit

CO1Mtn

Workinman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol Empty Re: Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol

Post by James Hensler Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:22 am

Many competitors over the years have shot Rugers  at some point. I am sure this pistol 22/45 will be accurate enough. I would not worry about the frame because the 22 lr is not powerful. The only thing is I personally have not found a new Ruger with a trigger even close to what’s needed. Maybe the TC trigger will do the job.
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol Empty Re: Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol

Post by cdrt Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:42 am

My personal opinion is, that it is too light. Much prefer a heavier pistol for .22. I installed a Volquartsen trigger in one for a friend and it would not make weight the first time out. I had to use one of the original springs so it would lift two pounds.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:07 am

As James mentioned, the factory triggers are lousy.
That being said, as long as you're feeding it 22 ammo that's even close to good any score under 300-20x for a NMC, will not be the fault of the gun. You'll be limited by your ability, not the gun. I like your addition of the Volquartsen set. My first modification on new acquisitions is their trigger & sear. The second is grip tape on the front strap. The best 22 shooting I ever did was with an old MKII, including several Hi Standards, 3 Marvels, 2 Nelsons, Walther GSP.  The Hi Standards felt the best, but the Ruger shot the best, out of my hand at least.

I've Ransom tested +- to a dozen over the last 20+ years. I've yet to have one exceed 2" @ 50 yds with CCI sv and 90+% of them will do between 1- 1 1/2". I've had them shooting below 3/4" with really good match ammo like Tenex, Lapua, and believe it or not some of the old Rem SV (think-ball & dummy) the CMP sold 15+ years ago. 
Al

PS: I would agree the polymer frame is on the light side. All the MKII's I've used for serious BE have been the metal frame. The polymer frame served me well as a field pistol.

Last edited by Al on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by aub1957 Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:16 am

I have a pair of Ruger MK IIs that I use. I like the feel and the weight of the metal frame Rugers better. Personally, I think an all-metal Ruger is the perfect weight for timed and rapid fire. I am sure plenty people shoot them but I think the 22/45 is a bit too light for competition. I briefly had one, but unloaded it not long after purchasing it. I put the Volquartsen Accurizing kits in both MK IIs (and in a MK IV). The triggers are fine now and just over 2 lbs. It looks like the accurizing kit is about $50 less than your link to the competition kit, so you might could save some money there, if you wish.

I think the polymer frame setup on some of the 22/45s limits your grip choices. Perhaps others could chime in on that.

My limited value two cents: if it were me, I'd look for a MK II or a metal-frame MK IV and put the accurizing kit in it for a better trigger pull.

aub1957

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:39 am

Mark IV with trigger kit for sure.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfAGun Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:51 am

CO1Mtn wrote:If you have time, please give me your opinion on this pistol.

This is the 22/45, with a 5.5" barrel and 8" sight radius. One drawback is that it has a polymer frame.

The accurizing kit you link there is for Mk II and Mk III. I believe the appropriate kit for Mk IV is:

https://volquartsen.com/products/1293-pistol-competition-kit-for-mk-iv
SonOfAGun
SonOfAGun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:06 pm

I have a Bull Barrel 22/45 Mk IV that I bought new off GB for $235. Partly for nostalgia (my first ever pistol 45+ years ago was a Mk 1 Bull Barrel) and partly to have as a training gun for novices, etc.

I don't think that they are particularly light. Mine had to go back to Ruger for a safety recall and so the trigger is back to stock - it is not bad, but 3 1/2lb pull, so not best for match use. The Volquartsen kit sounds expensive to me.

I fitted a Ruger rail and have a spare SIG Romeo 5 on a QD mount so that I can swap between iron and dot when needed. Works well.

Sorry, system no allowing me to post pictures at present.

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:00 pm

cdrt wrote:My personal opinion is, that it is too light. Much prefer a heavier pistol for .22. I installed a Volquartsen trigger in one for a friend and it would not make weight the first time out. I had to use one of the original springs so it would lift two pounds.

MK IV Target you can bend the sear spring and bump up the weight. I am not sure if you can do that with the 22/45,
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:17 pm

You may want to look at www.clarkcustomguns.com . They may not list it on the website, but they used to make very good bullseye conversions on Ruger MK 1, 11's etc. I would shy away from the 22/45 for a heavier all steel gun.

Clark makes these grips which "help" to give the MK1 & 11 and 1911 feel. 
Clark Grips for the Ruger® Mark I, Mark II™ | Clark Custom Guns 

As for triggers, I have two MK 11s done by NVGW and they have outstanding triggers, and one has a Shilen barrel done also by NVGW in Springfield, VA.

As for accuracy, I have never seen a Ruger MK pistol that was not very accurate, and can be made better, much better. I think the grip angle for many is the obstacle. Andy Berryhill at Precision Target Pistol Grips  may have that solution too. 
Precision Target Pistol Grips - Precision Target Pistol Grips 

Of course if you have a 1911, then a Marvel or Nelson conversion may be in be worthy of consideration.

You do not have to spend $2,000 to get a very good shooting .22 pistol for bullseye.

My .02

Martin
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Arthur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:32 pm

Volquartsen LLV is with a Barrel weight is not a bad way to go. I built a Scorpion with parts I collected over the years. Utterly reliable, 1911 grip angle and virtually unlimited grip options as most any 1911 grip can be modified to fit, and you can easily take off the dot and shoot irons for EIC. 

You can buy the RUGER MK IV 22/45 and then add the VQ upper latter as you get more advanced.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:22 pm

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by Texasref Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:21 am

I'm new to Bullseye, but did buy a Ruger 22/45 Mark IV, target.
Added the rail, Voltq. trigger and Venom sight.
It's plenty accurate enough for me. (I'm inching up towards 90% with it).

Any problems with it is the shooter and not the pistol.
IMO it's a very good gun for the money and I believe will serve you well for a long time.

Texasref

Nightshift82 and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Foundryratjim Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:42 pm

bought mine 2014 and sent it to Clark Custom so they could work their magic on it. Shoots great. I just have to get better.
Attachments
Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol Attachment
IMG_20181031_141111copy (3).jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(57 Kb) Downloaded 16 times

Foundryratjim

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightshift82 Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:05 pm

I use one with a Volquartsen trigger.  I score the way I do because of me, not the gun.  I have only had one malfunction, but that was a 36 grain aguila subsonic that stove piped... once.  It eats nearly anything...  a plus in today's ammo climate.....
Nightshift82
Nightshift82

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Collette Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:42 am

The Ruger is a great all around pistol.
When compared to other all around pistols of 22 rimfire it is king in my opinion.
That being said, when compared to a purpose built bullseye pistol it will 
be found wanting.
If you are new to the sport and want to purchase your first pistol it 
can be made into a good platform with the addition of the improvements discussed.
I'm certain a master class shooter would be able to make a good Ruger shine.
I'm also pretty certain that you will not find many if any master class shooters using
a Ruger.
I personally have not seen many on the line anywhere other than club shoots.
If funds are an issue it can get you started.
If you have the means to purchase a purpose built bullseye gun, you can skip the 
starter pistol step and move right into a great gun instead of a good gun.
The logic that the Ruger is able to shoot great scores is sound but great scores were and still are
shot with irons too.
How many of us use would advise using them?
My thoughts.
Gary Collette
Gary Collette

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:25 pm

Rurers will shoot far better than the average shooters mental game
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:39 pm

I am cleaning up and throwing out a bunch of stuff and ran across a match results from back in 96. I remember borrowing a Ruger mkii 5.5 bull pistol for the match. I was shooting my first match as a civilian. The USAR All Reserve Pistol Team was there; Fox, Young, Reiter, Goza  to name a few. I won the .22 TF match with a 200-18X. The Ruger got it done!
Don’t think your being outgunned if you’re using a Ruger.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

joy2shoot and Hawkja like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:43 pm

Gary Collette wrote:The Ruger is a great all around pistol.
When compared to other all around pistols of 22 rimfire it is king in my opinion.
That being said, when compared to a purpose built bullseye pistol it will 
be found wanting.
If you are new to the sport and want to purchase your first pistol it 
can be made into a good platform with the addition of the improvements discussed.
I'm certain a master class shooter would be able to make a good Ruger shine.
I'm also pretty certain that you will not find many if any master class shooters using
a Ruger.
I personally have not seen many on the line anywhere other than club shoots.
If funds are an issue it can get you started.
If you have the means to purchase a purpose built bullseye gun, you can skip the 
starter pistol step and move right into a great gun instead of a good gun.
The logic that the Ruger is able to shoot great scores is sound but great scores were and still are
shot with irons too.
How many of us use would advise using them?
My thoughts.
I don’t shoot a Ruger but you are very correct about a Very Good Bullseye Pistol and a entry level pistol. 

I am fortunate to own a Pardini SP but I also shoot matches with my S&W SW22. 
I normally shoot 870’s with the Pardini 
I normally shoot 850’s with the SW22
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol Empty Ruger Mark iv 22/45

Post by jm7480 Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:20 pm

I have this exact set up for my back up bullseye pistol. Three members of my club liked my set up so much that they all went out and bought the same thing .The poly frame makes no difference as far as I'm concerned .It shoots great and the trigger is so smooth.

Last edited by jm7480 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:31 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add photo)
jm7480
jm7480

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Webb Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:45 pm

I will respectfully disagree with the above posters that feel the steel frame Ruger is a better way to go. Some said that the polymer framed gun is too light. The specs. from the OP said 34.4oz. That's only around 3 1/2 oz. less than a 1911. More important than the weight of this pistol is the grip angle. It feels very much like a 45 in your hand. I for one shoot better centerfire slow fire when I shoot a M41 for .22 than when I shot a MKII for .22. The transition from the "Lugerish" grip angle to the 1911 always cost me some points on the first magazine of centerfire slow fire. I think the 22/45-Volquartsen trigger combo is the best bang for the buck .22 out there.

Dan Webb

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:20 am

It's  all about options. This is my Marklll 22/45. It is wearing 1911 grips. I can fit every match 1911 grip I own on it. Try changing  grips on the  poly. Laughing Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol 1151011
LenV
LenV

spyer40 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Foundryratjim Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:58 am

LenV wrote:It's  all about options. This is my Marklll 22/45. It is wearing 1911 grips. I can fit every match 1911 grip I own on it. Try changing  grips on the  poly. Laughing 

The parts manual for the Mark 4 shows removeable grips..
https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/Mark-IV-Pc4tS28s.pdf

I also have a Mark 2 22/45 that I started out in Bullseye shooting with before the Mark 3 that I have posted about earlier in the thread, That one you are stuck with the factory grips, Still is an accurate  and reliable pistol.

Foundryratjim

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Webb Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:09 am

@Len V

Your gun has a poly frame. All 22/45's have the option for replaceable grip panel as of several years ago. Your exact gun is in my opinion the best bang for the buck bullseye pistol out there.

Dan Webb

Back to top Go down

Post by Bren Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:29 pm

i have the same gun with the same trigger kit. It will shoot way better than I can and I have never shot a better trigger on a .22. Equals or beats my Performance Center Model 41 that cost about 4-5 times as much. Definitely worth the money.
Bren
Bren

jm7480 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next