Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air pistol at about the same level as a Ruger Mark IV

+7
rich.tullo
CraigB5940
zanemoseley
chiz1180
javaduke
STEVE SAMELAK
bobbethune
11 posters

Go down

Air pistol at about the same level as a Ruger Mark IV Empty Air pistol at about the same level as a Ruger Mark IV

Post by bobbethune Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:43 am

I've gotten interested in trying out air pistol and I'm thinking that if I got an air pistol that's at about the same quality & price level as a Ruger Mark IV it would serve me well for a long time.

What air pistols would fit this bill?

bobbethune

Back to top Go down

Air pistol at about the same level as a Ruger Mark IV Empty Re: Air pistol at about the same level as a Ruger Mark IV

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:01 am

Pyramid Air has a few air pistols that fit the bill
Both single stroke (copy of the IZH-46) and pcp guns
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Air pistol at about the same level as a Ruger Mark IV Empty Re: Air pistol at about the same level as a Ruger Mark IV

Post by javaduke Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:27 am

Izh-46 or its Air Venturi clone (Air Venturi AV-46M) if you are ok with single stroke gun (i.e. pumping it manually after each shot). I owned one and shot pretty decent scores with it.
PCP guns are more expensive, but there are some more economical options, like Hammerli AP20.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:30 am

An IZH-46 is a good gun, single stroke pump for every shot. Adjustable trigger and interchangeable sights to suit your needs. Stock grip may or may not work for you without some modification. I have shot a 568 with mine.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:40 am

I've never shot an IZH but heard they can be heavy which can be an issue for some. Look at the Air Venturi V10 for a lighter option.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:50 am

zanemoseley wrote:I've never shot an IZH but heard they can be heavy which can be an issue for some. Look at the Air Venturi V10 for a lighter option.
My izzy is actually very close to my Morini 162EI in weight. Not super light by any means but just a reference point. I have found good grip fit can help mitigate weight issues.
chiz1180
chiz1180

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbethune Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:29 pm

What are 6he sight options for these guns under the air pistol rules?

bobbethune

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:43 pm

Open sights only, no red dots.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:47 pm

10m air matches are iron sights. The more match oriented air pistols have different width front sights and different size/shape rear notches. Some also allow you to adjust the placement of the front sight.

Many bullseye shooters will add a dot sight to allow practice closer to bullseye. Styer LP5 or LP50's are 5 shot repeater air guns that some use for TF/RF practice, you can even get a grip than mimics a 1911 for them. Bit on the higher end of the spectrum but a fun option.

However, I have found (at least for me) adding a dot to an air pistol makes them more fatiguing to shoot, as you are adding top weight to the pistol. It changes the balance and does not feel like a typical bullseye gun (e.g euro style 22, American style 22, or 1911) as the dimensions are optimized for the use of irons. The trigger weight of a typical air pistol is 500 grams (1.1lbs) which is a significant difference from a 22. 

I do not think an air pistol is a full replacement for training with bullseye guns, but is a good supplement. Good tool for working out shoot process adjustments and learning how to read the sights as the you break a shot. 10m air matches are a fun challenge too, just a bit different format.
chiz1180
chiz1180

troystaten likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB5940 Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:31 pm

I started with a IZH-46 M, it was very muzzle heavy for me. I upgraded to Rink grips and they did not take away that feeling for me but they did add a level up in comfort and control. They are a well built pistol and accurate pistol for the money (I have not handled the current Pyramid Air branded models, just the originals from Bikail). It's a matter of personal preference as to the muzzle heavy balance point-you really need to try one out. For me it was hard, after 20 years of shooting handguns with two hands, this was the first pistol I shot one handed and at first it was a brand new world to master. Now shooting two handed feels strange to me!

I cut my teeth on it for two years, then sold it and got a used Morini CM 162 EI for $1200 from ISSF Shooters Supply and found Nirvana! From there I started to shoot BE two years after that. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would have tried to get my hands on an Hamerili AP-20 to see if that one was more agreeable. The real challenge to our game is getting hands on time with a pistol you want to buy before you decide to by it. With what I know now I would have driven to an AP match and got my hands on one of each of them from the shooters on the line after the match. My nearest AP match club has a great match director who knows which shooters shoot what at the match and most shooters are happy to let a novice shooter try out a particular model after a match.

There's a mantra, "Buy Once Cry Once" and "Quality has no regrets". What that means is that if you do buy a good PCP (to me used is a good route) you will be happier than buying at the low end and starting over with a top line pistol after you get the basics under your belt. In today's market I think a used PCP would still retain it's value. I'm sure I could break even with my Morini 5 years after I bought it but I'll never sell it, its a dream to shoot.

Good luck, patience has it's virtue if you can wait for and find a good deal. Whatever you choose you're bound to have fun with an AP!

CraigB5940

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:33 am

I just go an FAS 6004, that might fit your bill.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

troystaten likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rwleonard Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:03 am

The Alfa Proj is available through CMP/Pyramid Air and has an 11mm dovetail.

rwleonard

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:47 am

I agree with CraigB5940 above.

I tried an Air Venturi, but could not get on with the pumping - maybe I'm just too old and lazy! So I returned it. Hats off to Pyramid Air for their Customer Service.

I have a Wolf brand clone of an Alfa Proj (as far as I know all of those style pistols are made by Listone Industries in Taiwan - nothing wrong with that). Mine uses CO2 bulbs and so the grip area is quite bulbous, the OEM plastic grip was horrible, but I have been able to carve up a grip which closely resembles my favourite Rink grip (sorry forgot to take a photo of that).

They have an 11mm groove along the barrel shroud, but I was not comfortable with a red dot in that position, so I filed up a very simple L shaped mount from a piece of Aluminum angle and mounted an "Airsoft" dot in place of the metallic sight - works great. I used another scrap of the angle to create a trigger shoe. This was my first attempt at a grip, carved Balsa wood.
Air pistol at about the same level as a Ruger Mark IV Wolf_s10
It shoots pretty good, but is quite light. I would go with one of the better PCP pistols if you can afford to. Try before you buy if at all possible.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:41 pm

The FAAS 6004 that Rich talks about is a nice shooting air pistol with a decent trigger, it's velocity is a little low to be truly competitive but it is an option.  I have one and like it, there are some tips that can you tune it and get the velocity higher.  If I was going to compete seriously I would get something like a Morini.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:44 pm

Bob,
Take a look at this....I have one, polished the trigger a little bit and it shoots really well. CO2 copy of a Ruger Mark 2.....if you want one just for practice and fun, and not to go compete in 10m events, this is plenty good. This particular one seems a little pricey, but if you are patient, they come up cheaper regularly.
https://www.ebay.com/c/20015326534
Tony
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down