Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benelli MP90 trigger group.

4 posters

Go down

Benelli MP90 trigger group. Empty Benelli MP90 trigger group.

Post by Mike38 4/5/2021, 6:42 pm

I bought a trigger group for a Benelli MP90 to install on my MP95. I have a couple questions. 

First, with the original plastic trigger group, I can remove the bolt with the trigger group in place. With the new aluminum trigger group, I can not remove the bolt. What's up with that? I'm going to hate having to remove the trigger group for normal field strip cleaning. 

Second, the original plastic trigger group has a detent ball that hold the forward (front) pin in place. The new aluminum trigger group does not have this. What holds the pin in place? Does the MP90 require a different pin, or a threaded machine screw? 

Thanks for any help! (Sure wish I could call Larry!)
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Benelli MP90 trigger group. Empty Re: Benelli MP90 trigger group.

Post by -TT- 4/6/2021, 7:13 am

Congratulations on finding an MP90S trigger group. That's a score, wasn't aware any were in circulation.

I'm surprised you could remove the bolt with either trigger group in place. That's not the case in either of my Benellis (MP90S and MP95E). The bolt needs to drop down into the frame at the back, and the module gets in the way on both. Perhaps you have an old-style MP95 module, with a different disconnector, or overall shape. Post a picture.

The MP90S uses a threaded pin instead of a cylindrical one with a detent. The pin is interesting - it's smooth on the right and the threads are cut into the shoulder of the pin on the left. And it has a little flip-up handle to screw/unscrew it. The frame is threaded on the left to accept it, but is smooth on the right, just like the MP95. If you use the MP95 pin, it should seat on the right, but it will be loose on the left, and may fall out unless you rig up some sort of keeper.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB5940 4/6/2021, 8:59 am

I've been shooting a new MP 90 trigger group in my MP 95  22 LR frame using the original pins from the MP 95 instead of new style front pin from my MP 90 in 32 SW LWC. I'm on my forth year of doing it, no problems ever and I shot upwards of 10K rounds with the MP 95 frame using the MP 90 trigger. 

I started shooting BE in 2017 and I used to swap the MP 90 trigger unit  from the MP 95 to back to the the MP 90  when shooting a 2700. In 2018 I bought a dedicated MP 90 unit for the MP 95 frame. And it's probably a given that you always have to remove the bolt before the trigger group, it was that way with my MP 95 from way back in 1998.

Good luck!

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 4/6/2021, 6:46 pm

I got the last MP90 trigger group from Larry's old stock at Red Feather Outfitters. Come to find out it's the new style with different disconnector. It will work in my older MP95, but removing the trigger group to remove the bolt is normal. Guess I'll have to learn to live with it. A "Gwhite" on Target Talk filled me in on this. So they say, he's the Benelli expert on that forum. 

I have two MP95s, a .22 and a .32. On both I can remove bolt without removing trigger group. I guess that's not the way with the newer models. 

Gwhite also said that the pin rather than the screw will work as long as there is enough downwards pressure on the trigger group. The pin goes in about half way, then I had to tap it a few times with a brass rod, so I'm guessing there will be enough downward pressure to hold everything in place.

I've dry fired with this new unit about 100 times, and it sure is going to be a major improvement over the old trigger group. Didn't have to do much fine tuning. The trigger pull had to be increased a bit. It now is somewhere between 2 and 2.25 pounds. I also really like the way the trigger itself can be moved left and right, forward or back. The trigger now feels "natural" on my index finger, where before it just didn't feel right.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 4/6/2021, 7:18 pm

Doug is very experienced with all generations of Benelli, indeed. And I'm officially annoyed that Jim found an MP90 trigger group and didn't tell me. Smile Last year he said he only had MP95 ones.

Downward pressure on the module comes from the two little rubber bumpers at the top front of the module. If they're not squished you'll have to push up to seat the pin, in which case you're probably ok. Alternatively you might be able to turn down a bolt in the lathe, to have the shouldered threads I described.

The MP95 has some other differences, the bolt is heavier and squarer, and the barrel is thicker. Overall though it will shoot the same as the MP90. Enjoy.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 4/14/2021, 8:19 pm

I got to run 60 rounds through the Benelli with the new trigger group. Very nice indeed, yet very different than the old trigger. 85-ish slow fire and 95-ish sustained fire. Now it's time to get those slow fire scores up to the mid 90s.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by mprince 4/27/2021, 8:41 am

I use AR15 anti walk trigger pins for the front pin on my MP95's with the MP90 trigger group.  I have one for both my 22 and 32.  Just don't forget where you put the tiny allen wrench to remove them with.  Close to same diameter, if not exact, and the right length.  Coincidence? who cares.

mprince

KeithAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down