Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Travel Box - variation on a theme

+2
xman
RoyDean
6 posters

Go down

Travel Box - variation on a theme Empty Travel Box - variation on a theme

Post by RoyDean 4/7/2021, 2:17 pm

There were threads on the subject of best cases/boxes for travel, innovative Bullseye Boxes and, most recently, on the types of foam for Pelican type cases. I did not have photos with me at the time of those threads - so here is my latest innovation. I already had (pre-Bullseye) a Case Club 6 Pistol & 20 Magazine Case (not a Pelican, but same style), but the closed cell foam insert that came with that case was no go good for Bullseye guns. I also had a HYSKORE #30277 6-Gun Modular Pistol Rack which I had intended to use in a gun safe. The Hyskore can easily be dis-assembled and custom leaves of Neoprene sheet can be inserted. Some black closed cell foam and some thin plywood completed the internal fit-out. The scope mount is Aluminum section, reinforced with some strong hardwood. Since I understand that the airlines require ammo to be in a separate box to guns, I will put the removeable "leg" and the scope in another bag with ammo bag and anything else I need. I am now looking for a Duffel Bag or similar that I can put this case inside so that it is not so obvious to everyone that there is a bag full of guns on the carousel!

Travel Box - variation on a theme Img_2013
Travel Box - variation on a theme Img_2014
Travel Box - variation on a theme Img_2015
Travel Box - variation on a theme Img_2016

Travel Box - variation on a theme Img_2017
Travel Box - variation on a theme Img_2018
Travel Box - variation on a theme Img_2019

Travel Box - variation on a theme Img_2020
It is tight (let's just say "snug"), but all 6 guns do fit together with a box of tools and parts and a box of cleaning stuff. There is also room for a small bag of magazines that fits under the barrel muzzles on the right side.

I am one slot short if I need to carry a DR as well as a Reeves Revolver (or an additional 1911), but they could always go in a small gun case inside the Duffel Bag and be left locked in the car trunk.

And yes, all of the muzzles are pointing downrange when the box is on the bench.
Travel Box - variation on a theme Img_2022

And, yes, it is bloody heavy!

RoyDean

valbern67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Travel Box - variation on a theme Empty Re: Travel Box - variation on a theme

Post by xman 4/7/2021, 2:33 pm

Now I know where all the Pardinis are! LOL
Lets see an EIC Pardini .22, a 900 Dot Pardini .22, an a 900 Dot Pardini .32 are my guesses, and of course the usual assortment of .45s. EIC and CF/.45 Plus the obligatory revolver.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 4/7/2021, 7:18 pm

xman,

You are almost right. The middle Pardini is currently fitted with flat (ISSF) palm shelf and 5" barrel to match NRA International Standard Pistol rules. For EIC I would use the upswept palm shelf and 6" barrel. The middle gun on the right side is not a 1911 - it is the SIG P210-A 9mm that I prefer to use for EIC Service Pistol. And the "obligatory" revolver is special - a S&W K16-4 32 Magnum - Roddy has just gone through it and got the trigger up to NRA weight and sorted out some other issues - it is great now and perfect for Harry Reeves matches.

The reason for the photo of the guns was not to brag about my set of competition guns (although I am certainly proud of them), but rather to illustrate that with some careful arrangement of Neoprene padding it is possible to comfortably and (hopefully) safely pack 6 competition guns in that one case and still have plenty of room for tools,etc.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by xman 4/7/2021, 7:57 pm

RoyDean wrote:xman,

You are almost right. The middle Pardini is currently fitted with flat (ISSF) palm shelf and 5" barrel to match NRA International Standard Pistol rules. For EIC I would use the upswept palm shelf and 6" barrel. The middle gun on the right side is not a 1911 - it is the SIG P210-A 9mm that I prefer to use for EIC Service Pistol. And the "obligatory" revolver is special - a S&W K16-4 32 Magnum - Roddy has just gone through it and got the trigger up to NRA weight and sorted out some other issues - it is great now and perfect for Harry Reeves matches.

The reason for the photo of the guns was not to brag about my set of competition guns (although I am certainly proud of them), but rather to illustrate that with some careful arrangement of Neoprene padding it is possible to comfortably and (hopefully) safely pack 6 competition guns in that one case and still have plenty of room for tools,etc.
Was admiring the Pardinis. Am seriously considering getting one after watching the lack of recoil of several Pardinis at my last 2700 as compared to my M41. I DO think that this would be an instance of actually buying points in the short/long run. Am going to ask a one of the Pardini owners if I could run a few mags after the next match.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 4/7/2021, 8:11 pm

Yes, you are essentially correct, IMHO if your basic technique is sound then a good Euro gun with a grip that fits will lift your scores almost instantly. I started Bullseye with an older Walther GSP, then tried a Matchgun, then settled on the Pardini's. Took a lot of effort to get the right grips to suit me. The revelation came when I bought a new SP22 6" last year and dedicated it to EIC - shot in the next 4 matches and legged out - that gun is almost like cheating for EIC 22.

But, as all of the venerable scribes on this Forum will quickly point out, a Euro 22 with an anatomical grip will not help your 45 scores with a 1911. I rarely practise with the Pardini's now, just concentrate solely on the 1911 in order to try to lift my 45 scores up to the level I want - it is very hard, slow work!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 4/7/2021, 8:47 pm

That’s way too many Roy guns to fit in a duffel bag.....Wink
TonyH
TonyH

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinkemulder 4/8/2021, 10:24 am

That's a nice solution. Thanks for sharing
Vinkemulder
Vinkemulder

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 4/10/2021, 7:54 pm

Ammo can be in the same case:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by pittpa 4/15/2021, 11:27 am

RoyDean wrote:xman,

Now you have me wondering what the airlines' limit of liability is for lost luggage.  But of course you would have other applicable insurance.  Smile
pittpa
pittpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down