Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camp Perry Bench Height

+5
brassmaster
james r chapman
-TT-
chiz1180
dieselguy624
9 posters

Go down

Camp Perry Bench Height Empty Camp Perry Bench Height

Post by dieselguy624 Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:00 am

Anybody have a rough idea on the height of the benches at Perry?  I was there in 2018 and have some pics but was hoping maybe someone knows for sure. We have the preliminary work completed for an outdoor pistol range done at our club and will soon need to build some benches.

Thanks!

Dieselguy624

dieselguy624

Back to top Go down

Camp Perry Bench Height Empty Re: Camp Perry Bench Height

Post by chiz1180 Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:32 am

30-32" feels about right from memory for the benches at Perry. I recall them being shorter than I would have liked.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:20 am

I agree on the 32" estimate, and would add that the short-line benches need to be low, because the long-line shots need to pass over them. Both lines are pretty much the same height, anyway.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:44 am

dieselguy624 wrote:Anybody have a rough idea on the height of the benches at Perry?  I was there in 2018 and have some pics but was hoping maybe someone knows for sure. We have the preliminary work completed for an outdoor pistol range done at our club and will soon need to build some benches.

Thanks!

Dieselguy624

Previous threads on Perry benches
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by brassmaster Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:07 pm

dieselguy624 wrote:Anybody have a rough idea on the height of the benches at Perry?  I was there in 2018 and have some pics but was hoping maybe someone knows for sure. We have the preliminary work completed for an outdoor pistol range done at our club and will soon need to build some benches.

Thanks!

Dieselguy624
If you want to mirror Perry, o.k.; however NRA has specifications regarding dimensions and bench height for outdoor ranges. Since we intended to build a new bench with 24 firing points to last for decades, we researched this info at NRA when we were designing our bench, but that was 12 years ago and that information suffers from memory loss. We did not need the short line benches lower than the long line ones because we have two target lines. I do recall that the benches at Perry are lower than our bench, for whatever that's worth. You probably need the information before my next 1-1/2 hr. round trip to the range to measure.
brassmaster
brassmaster

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:57 am

How about the benches at Camp Atterbury?
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:50 am

Don’t really have a dog in this fight.   But you might want to consider where to put shooters who have trouble with being very short or very tall.    Also those in a wheelchair.    

Bench is too short, some of us have trouble using our scope, or our brass net.   Too tall.   Same issues.   

If we are talking about a covered firing point also consider if someone 6’5” can easily see both target lines without obstruction from overhead.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:57 am

Being the tallest BE shooter I know at 6'6" (barefoot) I have had instances when I couldn't fire comfortably at ranges.  Local officials have often made modifications so I could shoot matches there, e.g. removing eyebrow portions, creating special window sections for Indoor/Outdoor setups, etc.  As for the bench being uncomfortably low, that's no issue since I use my closed Pelican case on top of the bench.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by dieselguy624 Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:53 am

Thanks All!  I think we'll look at some of the local clubs and come up with a better design. 

Pat

dieselguy624

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:14 pm

I never measured when I was there, but the perry benches are lower than optimal.  Most of our local clubs are 36"  and that works for pretty much everyone. Just for comparison, standard dining table height is 30", kitchen counter is 36" and bar top is 42"
rreid
rreid

chiz1180 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down