Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Primed cases?

+7
SingleActionAndrew
mbmshooter
C7@71
pgg
Jack H
bruce martindale
jwax
11 posters

Go down

Primed cases? Empty Primed cases?

Post by jwax 4/25/2021, 8:30 pm

This guy on gunbroker is selling .45ACP primed cases- no powder, no bullet.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/899218818

Would anybody buy these?

jwax

http://www.shooterstechnology.com

Back to top Go down

Primed cases? Empty Re: Primed cases?

Post by bruce martindale 4/25/2021, 9:00 pm

Why not?

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 4/25/2021, 9:52 pm

Two flash hole sizes?
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by pgg 4/25/2021, 9:56 pm

I wouldn't at $.40 per primed case but if you need them ...

Selling primed brass is an increasingly common way for people to sell and ship primers, because there's no HAZMAT issue. They can just put them in a box and send UPS.

pgg

Back to top Go down

Post by C7@71 4/26/2021, 7:29 am

Lots of info out there on shipping of “primed” brass. FedEx seems to want it packed like Ammo.  In that each case is packed in a secured box, like a loaded shell would be. The “packed” individually in a commercial ammo box, like you buy across the counter, is why you can ship AMMO @ FedEx or UPS etc as standard freight rates and it is ORM-D labeled and NO Hazmat fee.

Putting a bag of primed cases, according to some FedEx interpretations, is not allowed. The Fed DOT are for LIMITED quantities and must have a special “Y” label...which may require HazMat training and certification by the shipper.  Remember, YOU are the shipper and responsible for packaging and labeling, NOT Fedex or the .carrier...

Agree this is not a DEAL. There are several listings for used brass, sorted by primer size, in the $0.16 or cheaper.  Most local gun blogs have primers in the $0.15 range...or at least the three we have locally.  YES, there are folks that are asking in the $0.20-$0.30 range....but they don’t seem to be getting any nibbles.

Add in the GB vendor’s $20 shipping, and if you buy for the minimum $100, you are in for $0.48 each.

One has to decide if that is fair value or not...

YES....they have been sorted by headstamp....so that is a plus

Locally, fully loaded factory 45 is going, on the blogs, for around $0.75...which includes a projectile and powder.

C7@71

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter 4/26/2021, 12:38 pm

According to the GB posting these are MIXED HEADSTAMP cases.  Also, it says he checked for split cases which to me sounds like these are most likely well-used cases.
Unless I were really desperate, I'd stay away from them at any price!

mbmshooter

C7@71 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 4/26/2021, 7:14 pm

I certainly see a use for primed cases on the market. Both in the immediate because most loaders I know are still struggling to find primer at any price (retail), but also in the long term for those experiencing priming system frustrations (like me!). Not familiar with the specific listing and not making any recommendation, but I do see a spot for this product in the marketplace.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 4/27/2021, 3:47 pm

As someone who has offered primed cases to local shooters during this shortage, I am very clear about it being multi-fired and for the short line.

Anyone who buys this thinking it is long line capable.....
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax 4/28/2021, 7:09 am

Aprilian- Curious as to why you would suggest that this source of primed brass is not capable of long line accuracy.
John

jwax

http://www.shooterstechnology.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkOue 4/28/2021, 11:55 am

Yesterday I offered to send a friend half way across the country a few hundred primed cases.  Why?  My friend can't find large pistol primers and I have enough to share a few hundred with him.  I am not certified to ship HAZMAT but I can ship ammunition or primed cases via UPS or FedEx.  My friend is a recreational shooter/handgun hunter so a few hundred primed cases will keep him shooting for a while.

Maybe the Gun Broker seller has primers and cases but is also not certified to ship primers and powder?

MarkOue

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/28/2021, 2:49 pm

I can see going one step further. Friends only. Send someone the brass you need primed. Then send it back primed.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 5/1/2021, 8:37 am

jwax wrote:Aprilian- Curious as to why you would suggest that this source of primed brass is not capable of long line accuracy.
John
if you measure it, it will likely be shorter than new.

There was a great list somewhere by Mike Curtis on what factors with brass made a difference on accuracy.   

Jerry Keefer also did a great experiment on making long cases and that impact on accuracy.
"The chamber can be cut to .898 or .900 and if the brass is .895 - .897, which most Starline is, and you have a workable headspace compared to guessing. When shooting the short line (25 yds), the accuracy requirement is less, any good brass like Federal, Remington or Winchester will work fine . The test gauge is adjusted to zero @.898 and makes checking a large quantity of brass less painful. "The late Al Bacon and I did some testing where we purchased a batch of Starline 460 Rowland brass. Chambers were cut to what was considered optimum length at that time, .903" There is no 45 ACP brass manufactured that long. Most of the " Big Three" brass is in the low .880s. A fixture was made to reduce the 460 Rowland brass to .900 and about 100 cases were made, loaded and tested against other lengths. The minimum head spaced brass consistently shot better groups. I have always been an advocate of minimum headspace, but this created an obsession. I have spent considerable time measuring brass and testing since and Starline is the best.

Primed cases? 0f291acb-13e8-4105-99fd-9ac4dd6394af

"I have some very old military match ball ammo. The case length is in the low to mid 890s. There's a reason for this. Headspace is a factor that contributes to accuracy at 50yds. The old armories were aware of this. If your extractor is influencing the cartridge case while in battery, it is not adjusted correctly. The three big manufacturers mostly keep case length in the low to mid 880s.. Too short, even for an .898 chamber, you can have .018 + headspace. Starline brass is the best long line brass available. It is closer to military ball match length. The gun should be chambered for the ammo. A chamber depth of .898 or less is possible, providing the shooter heeds reloading. Short line (25 yds) is not critical, and standard factory ammo can be mass loaded without much concern of an over length case. I have never seen any over max length from Rem. Win. or Fed. Headspace attention can help tighten up that 50 yard line."

"First step to setting head space I determining chamber depth, as they are not the same, unless, a standard SAAMI reamer is used, which is designed for the masses ...Not Bullseye (BE) target shooting. What is the leade? SAAMI standard 5 degree? Let's use a 1-1/2 or 1 -1/4 degree leade angle, which is proven in every venue of target shooting to be beneficial regardless of the caliber. Would a BE chamber benefit from some free bore? Absolutely, and how about those sloppy chamber dimensions? Minimum wall taper? The pistols approaching/exceeding 1 inch groups at 50 have well designed chambers. The extractor must be adjusted correctly. The hook touches neither the rebate angle nor the groove, and pulled back to permit the case to seat flat against the breech face when in battery. Very little tension is required, when adjusted properly. "

"When I refer to head space, I am quoting breech face to the end of the cartridge case dimension. Most don't know what their chamber depth is. Seating the bullet at or in the leade is an invitation to problems and does not make the gun shoot better. I am an advocate for free bore at .0005/.001 + 0 over bullet diameter into a polished 1-1/2 degree leade. SAAMI headspace specs are .898 to .920 which is excessively generous for a target application. I have never seen a factory case approach .898. This is why I prefer Starline brass for long line which runs in the mid .890s. Much of the factory Fed. Win. Rem. will run mid to high .880s. Most bullseye gunsmiths are using a .903 chamber depth or less. I have guns running well at .898 and one that I personally load ammo for at .895"
Aprilian
Aprilian

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 5/2/2021, 7:54 am

Aprilian wrote:. . .
There was a great list somewhere by Mike Curtis on what factors with brass made a difference on accuracy.
. . .
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t3064-brass-variation#19204

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Aprilian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum