Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pachmayr revolver grips

5 posters

Go down

Pachmayr revolver grips Empty Pachmayr revolver grips

Post by RoyDean 4/28/2021, 9:21 pm

I have a Pachmayr rubber grip on my S&W K16. It is the type with the "backstrap" of the revolver handle exposed. I have medium hands, but short fingers and this type of grip seems to suit me.

I thought that it was a "Gripper". I just got a "new to me" K14-7 which also happens to be round butt, so I looked on eBay and found a Gripper. But it is not the same and not what I want. This Gripper covers the steel frame of the revolver.

So - if my grip is not a Gripper, what is it and how do I get another?

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Pachmayr revolver grips Empty Re: Pachmayr revolver grips

Post by cdrt 4/28/2021, 9:54 pm

I think what you want is the older model Presentation grips.  The new ones cover the backstrap, just like the Gripper.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 4/28/2021, 9:56 pm

Excellent. Thanks CDRT - much appreciated. I will start searching!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/28/2021, 10:13 pm

They  also make a gripper with exposed back. The presentation are very hard and not grippy.Pachmayr revolver grips 20180517
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 4/28/2021, 10:19 pm

Thanks Len. Yes I think that I have a set of those hard grips - no good for me. I just looked again on eBay, but looks like everything there at present has the covered back style.

Next step is to contact Pachmayr and see if they are still making what I want - or failing that - at least get a model number that I can then use to search with.

Just my luck that the style I like is the rare and hard to find one!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/28/2021, 10:38 pm

I have several extra pair of square butt but no RB. You might look at hogues.Pachmayr revolver grips 20190238
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 4/28/2021, 10:47 pm

Yes, I've also accumulated a few odd grips that came with various guns I bought and have now mostly sold. I've tried Hogues - also just a bit too big for me. Worst case I will carve down an old Pachmayr and try to duplicate the grips I have on my K16. Or I might switch the K16 grips on to the K14 (which is intended only for DR) and carve up a set of semi-anatomical "ISSF" style grips for the K16 "Reeves" gun.

But this is not "mission critical" at present. Another job on the "to do" list!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/28/2021, 11:30 pm

That was an old picture. I had a spring cleaning sale last year so I thought I better double check. I swear they breed in the dark.Pachmayr revolver grips 20210413
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 4/29/2021, 12:40 am

I must apologise to everyone for wasting time with this thread. After the helpful comments from CDRT and LenV I went and did what I should have done first, before jumping on to the keyboard!

The grip on my K16 is indeed a Pachmayr Gripper - with the open back exposing the frame "backstrap".

I then went to my shoe box full of "grips waiting to be advertised for sale" and found a similar exposed backstrap Gripper, but for a square butt K frame (which I think was on the K14-4 which I have just sold with the original fancy wood grip). 

So - there are definitely two styles of Gripper - one style enclosing the backstrap and the other exposing it. I have already sent a query to Pachmayr regarding respective part numbers, availability, etc.

LenV loves to pose a challenge - so here is my current collection of oddball revolver grips:-
Pachmayr revolver grips Revolv10
The one top left is the covered backstrap gripper I just bought. The Hogue top right is also an "exposed backstrap" but for a square butt. I might try one of those again - I had forgotten how nice they feel in the hand. The top row middle are a Gripper and a Presentation (as mentioned by CDRT) both of these examples are made of hard plastic and offer no "grip" whatsoever! The wood grip bottom right is off my 25-2 and I guess was the OEM S&W grip. It happens to also be an "exposed backstrap. I have an "enclosed Gripper" on that gun at present and it is too big for my hand. Will have to sort that one out in due course too!!!

I offered up one of the square butt "exposed Grippers" to my K14-7 and it will work, but there is an unsightly gap at the lower end of the exposed backstrap. 
Pachmayr revolver grips K_squa10

The wooden grip I have for the K14-7 (OEM S&W) is exposed and fits my hand quite nicely - maybe that is the short term solution.
Pachmayr revolver grips K14-7_10

Last edited by RoyDean on 4/29/2021, 12:53 am; edited 3 times in total

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/29/2021, 12:47 am

The open back are Gripper Professional. I don't remember one being made for RB. The Pro are 10 % smaller.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 4/29/2021, 10:13 am

Wow - got an instant response from Lyman-Pachmayr:-

"Currently we have nothing for the round K-frame that exposes the back strap. The one you currently have on your K-frame we haven’t made in years so we would not have the original part number either."

I responded saying that if they still have the moulds and can do a run I will buy 2 pierces.

Meanwhile a WTB ad is needed.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 4/29/2021, 3:06 pm

Maybe this?
https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/grips-for-smith-wesson/k-l-frame-revolvers/k-l-frame-round-butt
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/29/2021, 3:19 pm

Hogues would be good!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 4/29/2021, 3:52 pm

The Hogue Monogrip for k RB is small in girth. 
I always thought it would be good for thumbing a DR gun, but I never had full size K frame RB.  Just a snub in the past.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down