Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your best 2-stage trigger configuration?

+2
SteveT
cfirimar
6 posters

Go down

What is your best 2-stage trigger configuration? Empty What is your best 2-stage trigger configuration?

Post by cfirimar 4/30/2021, 3:24 am

Hi Folks,
I would like to hear everyone's opinion on what is a great bullseye trigger configuration (for 2-stage triggers, Hammerli 208/215, Pardini SP, etc.).

I am adjusting as following, this feels best for me so far:

• medium or short first stage travel
  • first stage trigger weight ~2lb
  • very short second stage travel
  • second stage trigger weight ~0.4lb (total 2.4lb)
  • zero or tiny tiny over travel

I haven't tried all possible configurations, so wonder if I am missing out something. Would like to hear what you consider as a best 2-stage trigger configuration!

cfirimar

Back to top Go down

What is your best 2-stage trigger configuration? Empty Re: What is your best 2-stage trigger configuration?

Post by SteveT 4/30/2021, 9:01 am

The only really important thing is that the surfaces are polished at the point of the trigger break, no grittiness or variability.

I prefer having a fairly significant weight difference between first and second stage (or takeup in a 1911) so I can pull the trigger up to the stop and hold it there without risk of sending an errant shot downrange. But, that is a preference. It doesn't really affect scores.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

cfirimar likes this post

Back to top Go down

What is your best 2-stage trigger configuration? Empty Re: What is your best 2-stage trigger configuration?

Post by WesG 4/30/2021, 12:33 pm

I'm in the same camp as Steve. I want to feel enough resistance on the 2nd stage that I can pull right to it. Having it really light feels great when you set it up, and dry fire it. Getting to the range and shooting it for real in rapid fire is a whole 'nother matter.

My 'little' rifles are just fine that way, but they're single shots with very light pulls anyway. My service rifle ... no way.

WesG

cfirimar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 4/30/2021, 1:29 pm

I have 1st stage medium length to "condition" the finger, then a felt wall with low weight break but not feather weight. I read somewhere long time ago that rule of the thumb is about 2:1 first stage to second stage. I go by that.

Tripscape

cfirimar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by swissyhawk 4/30/2021, 5:03 pm

I split mine 1.5 and 0.8 lbs.  My guess is that 0.4 lbs is too light for the second stage.  You’ll probably find yourself pulling right through it on timed and rapid.

swissyhawk

cfirimar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 4/30/2021, 6:22 pm

Sounds about right and 2:1 relationship. In a perfect world I would strive for:
16oz x 2.5lbs = 40oz <- 2.5 pounds expressed in ounces 
40 ÷ 3 x 2= 27oz = 1.7lb first stage
40÷3 = 13.5oz = 0.8lb second stage

Tripscape

cfirimar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 4/30/2021, 8:36 pm

Too light on Sll and you'll constantly bump shots off instead of controlling them. If you're in the ( start to finish) continuous pull crowd   , and have no hitches in your motion, a light Sll can work. Hard to do though.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

cfirimar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cfirimar 5/1/2021, 12:17 am

Thanks everyone for the response!

It seems my old understanding of the 2 stage trigger was slightly unconventional, I used the second stage mainly for a smooth surprise roll break when combined with the first stage.

This new understanding (using the first stage for staging the trigger, then when the sights aligned proceeding to the second stage) seems also aligns with possibly the original reasons behind the 2-stage triggers design. Because it allows for a 2nd stage break with a very small amount of extra weight (e.g. 0.8lb), while keeping the overall trigger weight competition legal (2.5lb). 

I'll give the new config a try for a couple weeks to see if I like it, so far it feels great.

Thanks again!

cfirimar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down