Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do I need to reload 32 S&W Long

5 posters

Go down

S W Long - What do I need to reload 32 S&W Long Empty What do I need to reload 32 S&W Long

Post by toddcfii Thu May 20, 2021 10:54 am

What do I need to reload 32 S&W Long?  I have a Dillon 550b and a Square Deal b. Would prefer to load 32 on the square deal but looks like no dies available for that caliber?  So on the 550b I am planning on using Lapua brass and possibly federal. May get Lapua wadcutter bullets or looks like ther is a a poster on here who swages bullets to work well in my Pardini?  Planning on using Bullseye powder and Winchester primers. 

Sound good so far?

Specifically what dies and attachments should I use on the 550b?  Looks like Dillon has dies. Should I use those?  Photo escape has 32 powder funnels etc. should I get those also?  Other brands to look at for a 4 stage press?  Thanks!!
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

S W Long - What do I need to reload 32 S&W Long Empty Re: What do I need to reload 32 S&W Long

Post by James Hensler Thu May 20, 2021 7:57 pm

Dillon makes dies for 32 SWL for the Square Deal

Last edited by James Hensler on Fri May 21, 2021 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

S W Long - What do I need to reload 32 S&W Long Empty Re: What do I need to reload 32 S&W Long

Post by toddcfii Thu May 20, 2021 8:50 pm

Yea they do!  Don’t know how I missed that before!?
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Sat May 22, 2021 5:13 am

I have been told by others that both Lapua and R-P brass is good.   The only downside I see to the Square Deal B is the possible lack of a specialized powder thru die that will work with an aftermarket case expander die which is almost a necessity with those tiny cases.   Before I got one, I was tearing my hair out, trying to get consistent seating without shaving lead.    I’m would think because of the availability of after market parts, the 550 would be a better bet.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Sat May 22, 2021 7:16 am

The Square Deal B uses the same powder thru die as the 550. I got mine when Dave Wilson made them. You need to use some case lube inside and outside to prevent ripping case rims off. I would always recommend the 550 over the SDB.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Sat May 22, 2021 7:25 am

robert84010 wrote:The Square Deal B uses the same powder thru die as the 550. I got mine when Dave Wilson made them. You need to use some case lube inside and outside to prevent ripping case rims off.
Great.   Then the only thing I would worry about is the unsupported first station on both the Square Deal B and the 550 for depriming and resizing.   Not sure I would not be doing that first step on a single station press to prevent spoiling too many cases.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Sat May 22, 2021 8:39 am

I have done thousands of .32SWL on my 550. nothing spoiled. simply add a little one shot or similar and done.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Sat May 22, 2021 8:44 am

I find the Square Deal B and the 550 to be presses with a lot of play in them.  They need to be reinforced well with either the mount or some sort of base plate to work smoothly.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sat May 22, 2021 11:44 am

ANY press is gonna feel like a hot mess if not properly mounted. I had a SDB set up for 32SWL and it was rock solid, if anything I was worried about damaging the handle trying to pull a stuck expander out of a case. Sometimes I would wipe Renaissance sizing wax on the stem every couple rounds when using custom oversized expanders.

My experience with 32SWL was frustrating. I had all the right gear, a GSP with both the pristine factory barrel and a custom one from Dave with rails by Jon. I had the SDB set up for it with a slew of custom expanders as well as the custom swaging setup. What I really needed was 2 weeks at a range with both a rock solid Ransom Rest and a reloading bench on site to tinker with loads to immediately be tested. When you have the load at home with tweaked loads then wait for a range day and don't have time to fool with the RR it can be tedious.

I got a couple pretty good 50yd targets sand bagging it but overall I never found that magic load that felt good and was accurate like we expect out of our 45's on the long line. It is NOT like 45 where you can throw any decent 185-200 grain cast bullet over WST and get to 1.5-2" relatively quickly. Also the loads got snappy since its a blowback design and didn't care for the front heavy design of the GSP. I'm out of the 32 game and eagerly awaiting a full custom 38sp/1911 which I KNOW I will like the balance and will have a recoil impulse more like a 45 except lighter. I also KNOW I can get good quality bullets with a reliable supply unlike the H&N bullets and loads of options for brass, 32SWL you're about stuck to Lapua brass even though I seemed to have better luck with RP which I think is discontinued.

Alas I'm a working guy with a family, house and garden to tinker with along with several hobbies. The 32SWL can be a hobby in itself.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Sat May 22, 2021 11:51 am

zanemoseley wrote:ANY press is gonna feel like a hot mess if not properly mounted. I had a SDB set up for 32SWL and it was rock solid, if anything I was worried about damaging the handle trying to pull a stuck expander out of a case. Sometimes I would wipe Renaissance sizing wax on the stem every couple rounds when using custom oversized expanders.

My experience with 32SWL was frustrating. I had all the right gear, a GSP with both the pristine factory barrel and a custom one from Dave with rails by Jon. I had the SDB set up for it with a slew of custom expanders as well as the custom swaging setup. What I really needed was 2 weeks at a range with both a rock solid Ransom Rest and a reloading bench on site to tinker with loads to immediately be tested. When you have the load at home with tweaked loads then wait for a range day and don't have time to fool with the RR it can be tedious.

I got a couple pretty good 50yd targets sand bagging it but overall I never found that magic load that felt good and was accurate like we expect out of our 45's on the long line. It is NOT like 45 where you can throw any decent 185-200 grain cast bullet over WST and get to 1.5-2" relatively quickly. Also the loads got snappy since its a blowback design and didn't care for the front heavy design of the GSP. I'm out of the 32 game and eagerly awaiting a full custom 38sp/1911 which I KNOW I will like the balance and will have a recoil impulse more like a 45 except lighter. I also KNOW I can get good quality bullets with a reliable supply unlike the H&N bullets and loads of options for brass, 32SWL you're about stuck to Lapua brass even though I seemed to have better luck with RP which I think is discontinued.

Alas I'm a working guy with a family, house and garden to tinker with along with several hobbies. The 32SWL can be a hobby in itself.
I don’t really expect my S&W conversion  to shoot at 50 yards.    I will shoot 32 ACP for that.   It is just a fun gun for indoor matches in the winter time.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down