Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTB RCBS .45 Bullet Puller Collet

+4
hamdenman
Al
Wobbley
Steve Brown
8 posters

Go down

WTB  RCBS .45 Bullet Puller Collet Empty WTB RCBS .45 Bullet Puller Collet

Post by Steve Brown Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:41 am

Looking for a RCBS .45 Bullet Puller Collet for a RCBS press mount bullet puller die.  Thanks.

Steve Brown

Back to top Go down

WTB  RCBS .45 Bullet Puller Collet Empty Re: WTB RCBS .45 Bullet Puller Collet

Post by Wobbley Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:46 am

I’ve found that they’re only good for rifle and they do not work at all for lead.  The inertia pullers are better for pistol
Wobbley
Wobbley

Back to top Go down

WTB  RCBS .45 Bullet Puller Collet Empty 45 collet

Post by Al Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:53 am

Wobbley wrote:I’ve found that they’re only good for rifle and they do not work at all for lead.  The inertia pullers are better for pistol

Ditto, very very poor on lead. Not a lot better on Jacketed unless there's at least 1/16" of full bullet diameter exposed. Now, if it's for rifle you're in good shape as long as there's plenty of exposed, full bullet diameter, bullet to grab onto.

Not sure what's going on with collets, was just talking to a fellow prairie dog shooter who's been looking for a RCBS 6mm collet and wasn't being successful. I was able to help him out there for his 243 AI.

Best of luck.
Allen

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Brown Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:32 pm

Okay, thank you for the information.

A friend inherited a 1911 with a few hundred reloads of dubious quality.  An inertial puller will be a long and tedious process...

Steve Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hamdenman Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:50 pm

Tell them to invest in good ear muffs.

hamdenman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:57 pm

Steve Brown wrote:Okay, thank you for the information.

A friend inherited a 1911 with a few hundred reloads of dubious quality.  An inertial puller will be a long and tedious process...
A few hundred?  That’ll take an hour or two with an inertia.  Buy two as they can break.  Swing them as hard as you would a hammer driving a framing nail.  Should unload itself in two.
Wobbley
Wobbley

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:24 pm

I'm using RCBS bullet puller on lead/coated with very little problem.  One must keep in mind that for SWC bullets regular 45ACP colette will not work. I'm using 9.3mm one, p/n 09437.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape

Back to top Go down

Post by C7@71 Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:50 pm

I would suggest the following.... Buy a Frankford Armory Inertia puller from Amazon. I was off on my powder scale by 5 grains (poor light....poor eyesight....getting older). I had to pull over 300 rounds.

I had an OLD puller (late 1960's) and decided it would kill it. I ordered the Frankford model. I ditched the three piece O-ring collet.

Used the shell holder and just inserted the round into the shell holder and dropped it into the screw on cap and banged away. I used the "anvil" portion of my bench vice. You need a GOOD hard surface and one that does not have "padded" feet. 

Any good work bench with a small steel plate or a piece of oak or maple or birch will also do.

I was pulling 150 or so rounds per hour so this is NOT a Herculean task and you do not need the strength of Charles Atlas. Grip the puller at the far END of the handle and then strike using your forearm and a bit of "wrist snap". If a 76 YO can do this....you younger guys should knock it out quickly...

C7@71

Steve Brown likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Brown Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:18 am

Funny, I've been using the anvil surface of my vice and a shell holder if more than just one or two with my inertial puller for years.  I was just hoping for something a bit more sedate and composed.

RCBS informed me this afternoon that they have the collet in stock but I have already started with the inertial puller and I will continue with it now.  Some take one whack and others 3 or 4.  I did say suspect, dubious reloading quality and I have spent some time swinging a framing hammer...

Steve Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:33 am

Wobbley wrote:
Steve Brown wrote:Okay, thank you for the information.

A few hundred?  That’ll take an hour or two with an inertia.  Buy two as they can break.  Swing them as hard as you would a hammer driving a framing nail.  Should unload itself in two.

I have broken 3 of the hammer pullers that have the alloy shaft.  The fully plastic ones have never broke for me.  I say again striking the puller on the face of a metal faced dead blow hammer, one in each hand works very very well
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:37 am

I have the Frankford "pile driver" wall mount impact puller. In case anyone has seen that online and wondered about it ...
1) it's effective at pulling bullets. Usually on first blow
2) it's very loud - I use ear plugs and it wakes the kids up
3) it affects unfoiled primers, in that I get yellow primer residue all over when pulling federal match large pistol primed cases (didn't recall this happening with the hand puller, but maybe it's the primer)
4) the standard collet works well for 10mm and pretty well for 380 (sometimes the whole cartridge comes out instead of just the bullet). With 45 (where I need it most) it is difficult to extract the empty case without doing damage to your thumbnails.
5) it's easier on my wrists than hammering. Not that it doesnt take muscle still to raise the ram.

I had given up on it for 45 because of point 4 above but recently learned there is a larger magnum collet carrier and am hopeful the one I have on order will make it as easy to use on 45 as it is with 10mm.

Edit: I want to add that there are some reviews on Amazon saying the pile driver unit broke for them in a dangerous way. There is certainly a lot of tension combined with plastic parts. The first thing I did was double nut and loctite the spring retaining nuts but I'm resolving this thing isn't safe enough for me to keep using.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum