Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trigger face shape

5 posters

Go down

Trigger face shape Empty Trigger face shape

Post by faraim 6/9/2021, 9:30 am

I'm getting ready to install a shorter trigger in my 1911 wad gun. The shorter triggers are easy to find, but I can choose either a flat face or a rounded face. That's the hard part. Which do you folks use? For plinking, I can use either, it doesn't seem to matter.
faraim
faraim

Back to top Go down

Trigger face shape Empty Re: Trigger face shape

Post by Froneck 6/9/2021, 12:57 pm

I'm not sure what you mean, rounded as to left to right or up down as most 1911 and other pistols are out of the box.
 Plinking has no rules, you do as you want any way you desire. But competition has rules as to trigger weight, number of hands on the pistol among others.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 6/9/2021, 12:59 pm

I would call it personal preference, but I can't remember seeing a flat trigger on a bullseye gun. I've seen them as an option on some free pistols / rifles I think, where the trigger weight is extremely low.

I wouldn't recommend a flat trigger, but I wouldn't tell anyone that they are wrong if it works for them.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 6/9/2021, 1:27 pm

Having machinery to cut a trigger to any shape I want I did try flat trigger, Didn't like it! As Steve mentioned I haven't seen many flat triggers on Bullseye pistols, possibly 1 or 2 but they were probably like me trying them! As Steve pointed out if it works then use it, no rules as to trigger shape! Old rule as to measuring pivoting triggers that were straight required weight to pe placed on the very end of the trigger but it has been changed to the middle. My preference is rounded up/down, flat right/left. All shooter I know have the same preference.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by faraim 6/9/2021, 1:48 pm

Gents, I apologize for not being more precise in my description. I am talking about the face or part of the trigger that your finger pad contacts. I have some that are flat from side to side. I have some that are slightly rounded from side to side. I'm curious what most folks are using. I've never thought much about it before because anything works if you are just blasting away. With my short fingers a long trigger is just a bit too long for me. Any ideas would be appreciated.
faraim
faraim

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 6/9/2021, 2:32 pm

Flat pull surface, this way you can index your pull straight backward. Rouded cutout, so your finger placement is repeatable.

Last edited by Tripscape on 6/9/2021, 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 6/9/2021, 4:25 pm

I prefer a vertically rounded trigger as opposed to the flat variety that has become popular.  For one reason when I dry fire my finger can feel when it's in the center of the trigger.  My finger has been trained for this position and I've found it causes the least disturbance to the sight(s) when the hammer releases.  With a flat trigger I fear the sensitivity to that position would be lost.  Make sense?

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 6/9/2021, 6:30 pm

Having made Triggers from Bronze and making Bronze trigger shoes for quite a bit of shooters I have experimented with various types. In the 1911 having the up/down radius in the middle is best because it directs all the force to the disconnector. Applying pressure above or below center will direct part of the force up or down depending on finger location creating drag. Left/right radius will do the same thing, apply force either right or left and therefore creating drag. The results will be having a trigger that will just hold 3.5 pounds feel like 5. Another issue is as the finger locates it's self in different locations while shooting the trigger weight will seem to change.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down