Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eley Ammo Issue

+11
msmith44
Slamfire
rich.tullo
hamdenman
xman
TomH_pa
Oleg G
PhotoEscape
zanemoseley
chiz1180
REConley
15 posters

Go down

Eley Ammo Issue Empty Eley Ammo Issue

Post by REConley Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:59 pm

This is a new one for me, while practicing today I had the rim of an Eley round blow out. 
Never head of that before. Gases tossed the rubber rim on the back of my Ultra Dot back at me and the next round in the mag had the bullet slightly bent.
No pistol damage and I filed another 70 rounds afterward.
Attachments
Eley Ammo Issue Attachment
Eley Blown Case (2).jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(67 Kb) Downloaded 9 times
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Eley Ammo Issue Empty Re: Eley Ammo Issue

Post by chiz1180 Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:18 pm

I have seen this happen on the line before. Prime example on why safety glasses are a good idea.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:19 pm

The mouth of the case looks tapered, is that just an illusion? What pistol?

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:01 pm

What pistol was it shot out off?

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:19 pm

I had this exact thing happen with one round of Eley CMP in an AW93. 

In my pistol Eley CMP was not fully reliable - one light strike per about 100 rounds. Eley Target shoots every time. So I used the case of Eley CMP for practice and now switched to a different ammo.

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by TomH_pa Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:22 pm

Had a friend who was having a similar issue with the bad lot of CCI.
his would separate right in the middle of the rim.
CCI replaced his ammo and no more problems.
Shot out of an MG2 Matchgun

TomH_pa

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:55 pm

zanemoseley wrote:The mouth of the case looks tapered, is that just an illusion? What pistol?
Good catch!  The case is long. I checked some spent cases that landed in my range bag and they (Also Eley)  are 0.615 verses this case being 0.630.  

It was fired out of one of my S&W 41's with a Clark barrel. I have two unopened bricks from this case and all of that ammo when down that barrel.
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by xman Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:00 pm

I had a similar incident several decades ago with cardboard Tenex shooting out of an Anschutz 54. The rim fully separated from the case, compressed the right extractor spring so much that the extractor fell out of the rifle and the spring was useless. Shot a lot of smoke out the port in the receiver at the barrel mounting. Scared the s**t out of the shooter next to me. Fortunately I had a foam blinder attached to the scope that took a few slivers of brass. Had glasses on too. Was an odd mixed lot of a 3 boxes Tenex so I did not bother Eley for the repair claim or ammo replacement. Just freaky.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:03 pm

REConley wrote:
It was fired out of one of my S&W 41's with a Clark barrel. I have two unopened bricks from this case and all of that ammo when down that barrel.
How many rounds did you have after this pistol was cleaned and prior to case rupture?

I recently had conversation with Vladimir Chichkov of Pardini USA.  He explained that several ammo manufacturers slightly changed technology.  Such ammo has slightly different shape of the bullet and something also changed in rim area.  These changes, according to Vladimir, are causing incomplete chambering of the round, and possibility for the firing out of battery.  I had several of such occasions while using new CCI SV on MG2.  I had no such issues with any other ammo on this pistol.  There were no ill affect on the gun in any of the three of four instances I had.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:08 pm

PhotoEscape wrote:
REConley wrote:
How many rounds did you have after this pistol was cleaned and prior to case rupture?

I recently had conversation with Vladimir Chichkov of Pardini USA.  He explained that several ammo manufacturers slightly changed technology.  Such ammo has slightly different shape of the bullet and something also changed in rim area.  These changes, according to Vladimir, are causing incomplete chambering of the round, and possibility for the firing out of battery.  I had several of such occasions while using new CCI SV on MG2.  I had no such issues with any other ammo on this pistol.  There were no ill affect on the gun in any of the three of four instances I had.

AP

A brick.
REConley
REConley

Kp321 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hamdenman Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:23 pm

Happened to me with CMP eley 3 weeks ago in my 208. Had a slightly larger then pin sized hole in the back edge of the rim. Lots of smoke, light pop and didn’t cycle fully. Never had it happen in 40 years of shooting .22.

hamdenman

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:28 am

I had that happen with Federal White Box Target. I attributed the issue to ether a defective bullet or a dirty barrel/chamber. It was a little scary.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:31 pm

How old are these unsealed Eley rounds?

Can you show a picture of the box, if not new. Like, since 2010

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:45 pm

Slamfire wrote:How old are these unsealed Eley rounds?

Can you show a picture of the box, if not new. Like, since 2010
 From a case purchased from Killough's last year. They had been out of stock for weeks before a shipment came in.

I would say factory new, sitting on the floor in an airconditioned room.
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by msmith44 Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:57 am

PhotoEscape wrote:
REConley wrote:

AP
Shooting a S&W Model 41. Its run flawlessly for the past couple of weeks until I got a batch of CCI SV (76683 00035)FTE/FTL rounds stuck in chamber running 2-3 rounds per 50, failure to fire about 2 per 100. Seems to be light loads. This is not my gun it happened dirty (500-600 rounds) and clean. Anyone got an alternative?

msmith44

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:30 am

CCI will normally replace the ammo, if they find it defective after testing...both testing and replacement at their expense including shipping. Call them and follow their directive.
TonyH
TonyH

james r chapman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:00 am

REConley wrote:This is a new one for me, while practicing today I had the rim of an Eley round blow out. 
Never head of that before. Gases tossed the rubber rim on the back of my Ultra Dot back at me and the next round in the mag had the bullet slightly bent.
No pistol damage and I filed another 70 rounds afterward.
Same thing happened to my buddy saturday. Was out of a carton of Eley Bullseye x he picked up in Canton this month.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by gweber Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:04 pm

Here is what happened to me with Eley Bullseye Pistol X. I bought a brick at Canton. Was the last round in the mag on my nelson. It tried to blow the mag out of the lower. Glad I had safety glasses on while shooting. 

Eley definitely has let the quality slip in recent years. I think I will stick with SK or Lapua. 

GWEley Ammo Issue Img_2015Eley Ammo Issue Img_2016

gweber

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:07 pm

Could be the case not fully seated. I have an AR 22 conversion I built with a rimfire spec barrel. I chambered it 'short' with a Bentz reamer, to engrave the bullet a bit trying to squeeze a bit more accuracy out of it. It would on occasion do this, or worse, leave the case in the chamber minus the rim. After a couple times, I pulled the barrel and ran the reamer in to the 'hilt'. That *seems* to have solved the problem.

I don't think it takes much of the case being free to do this. It's really weak in terms of rupturing compared to the rim.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down