Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much crimp on 38 Super with a JHP?

5 posters

Go down

crimp - How much crimp on 38 Super with a JHP? Empty How much crimp on 38 Super with a JHP?

Post by Michael C 7/25/2021, 5:59 pm

I just installed a Kart 38 Super Xaxt fit barrel in my SA 9mm loaded 1911.  I’v shot a few rounds of 124g jhp with 3.5 and 3.8g of Bullseye crimped at.380.  However I’ve been thinking maybe that’s too much crimp.  These are .355 bullets in my .355 bore.  New Starline supercomp brass.  What is a normal crimp for jacketed bullets in the super?

Michael C

Back to top Go down

crimp - How much crimp on 38 Super with a JHP? Empty Re: How much crimp on 38 Super with a JHP?

Post by james r chapman 7/25/2021, 6:09 pm

Just enough to get rid of the expansion and to tightly hold the jacketed bullet
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

crimp - How much crimp on 38 Super with a JHP? Empty Re: How much crimp on 38 Super with a JHP?

Post by Michael C 7/25/2021, 6:44 pm

Thank you Jim!

Michael C

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter 7/27/2021, 4:11 pm

Michael C wrote:I just installed a Kart 38 Super Xaxt fit barrel in my SA 9mm loaded 1911.  I’v shot a few rounds of 124g jhp with 3.5 and 3.8g of Bullseye crimped at.380.  However I’ve been thinking maybe that’s too much crimp.  These are .355 bullets in my .355 bore.  New Starline supercomp brass.  What is a normal crimp for jacketed bullets in the super?
Off topic a bit, how did fitting that Kart barrel go? I've been contemplating that very swap.

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 7/27/2021, 4:27 pm

blindshooter wrote:

Off topic a bit, how did fitting that Kart barrel go? I've been contemplating that very swap.
I’m going to guess minimal removal on upper lug pads?
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter 7/27/2021, 4:33 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:
blindshooter wrote:

I’m going to guess minimal removal on upper lug pads?
Jon
Should have been more specific, I've never fitted a ramped barrel. Does the Kart Xact fit ramped barrel install go like the nonramped version?

Thanks

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 7/27/2021, 5:28 pm

I have not fit one of the ramped Xact fit barrels, but most likely it’s identical in the fitting process.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael C 7/28/2021, 12:26 am

The barrel fitting is not too hard.  Fit the hood then the upper tabs, checking for lower lug engagement.  Fit the OD of the bushing, which was a bit of a pain without a way to hold and turn it.  I used a drill but it was awkward.  Does it lock up like one that Jon Eulette does… no, not even close.  It’s shoots fine.  However, I haven’t shot it at 50.  I just wanted to goof around with it.  I’ll probably still have a hard fit barrel put in by a smith in the future.

I will say if you’re a new bullseye shooter like me, getting a gun out here in California is a problem.  Can’t buy lots of models.  Waiting long periods of time to get one built sucks.  I’v been waiting for my service pistol for almost two years to be finished.  Taking a SA loaded model that can be purchased and fixing it up is an option.  I was lucky enough to have a buddy sell me his wad gun that had just been rebuilt. I love it and it’s helped my shooting knowing that it goes where I point it.  
This 38 super interested me as it could be a center fire or EIC gun.

Michael C

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter 7/28/2021, 5:55 am

Thanks for the reply's and sorry for hijacking the thread.

I have been interested in .38 super barrel for my 9mm RO for a while. I have so far only been able to get decent accuracy by running everything pretty hot.

It looks like .38 super can be run slower and still get decent accuracy.

I only plink but I like to plink with something halfway accurate.

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael C 7/28/2021, 9:19 am

I shot 3.8-4.0 of Bullseye with a 115g HAP a couple of days ago in  the super back to back with the 9mm barrel that came with my SA loaded 9mm and the recoil was so much better.  If just for plinking I’d try it.  There are folks here shooting those barrels in competition.  They are probably more skilled than I am at installing them!

Michael C

Back to top Go down

Post by 1911a145 7/28/2021, 12:35 pm

Mike, you think your some kinda bullseye pistol shooter?

1911a145

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael C 7/28/2021, 1:06 pm

Matt, I’m trying buddy!  I still suck, but, learning and getting better is a ton of fun.  Shooting 1000 yards with a palma rifle and irons is easy compared to bullseye!!!

Michael C

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down